Away With the Penguins by Prior Hazel

Away With the Penguins (edition 2020)

by Prior Hazel (Author)

Series: Veronica McCreedy (1)

"A curmudgeonly but charming old woman, her estranged grandson, and a colony of penguins proves it's never too late to be the person you want to be in this rich, heartwarming story from the acclaimed author of Ellie and the Harpmaker. Eighty-five-year-old Veronica McCreedy is estranged from her family and wants to find a worthwhile cause to leave her fortune to. When she sees a documentary about penguins being studied in Antarctica, she tells the scientists she's coming to visit-and won't take no for an answer. Shortly after arriving, she convinces the reluctant team to rescue an orphaned baby penguin. He becomes part of life at the base, and Veronica's closed heart starts to open. Her grandson, Patrick, follows Veronica to Antarctica to make one last attempt to get to know his grandmother. Together, Veronica, Patrick, and even the scientists learn what family, love, and connection are all about"--… (more)
Member:LadyLast
Title:Away With the Penguins
Authors:Prior Hazel (Author)
Info:BLACK SWAN (2020)
Rating:*****

Work Information

Away With the Penguins by Hazel Prior

English (37)  German (1)  All languages (38)
When I first read this, the title was actually "How the Penguins Saved Veronica". I think the story re-titling itself and trying something new is actually very on point for the story, and it makes me like it even a little bit more knowing that. Title change or not, I aspire to be so adventurous in my later years and I thoroughly enjoyed this book ( )
  LadyLast | Jun 18, 2024 |
This story was just the perfect sit down on a rainy day, wish every minute of the story was real, heart warming fun read! ( )
  mchwest | May 22, 2024 |
A charming, quirky story by English author Hazel Prior, about an octogenarian, Veronica McCreedy, who leaves her home in Scotland to stay at the research station on Locket Bay, South Shetland islands in Antarctica to study the penguins. I seem to have become a fan of elderly rebirth lit, and this book is a great example. Veronica is feisty, stubborn and even prickly at times but nevertheless her stay changes things for the scientists: the sweet blogger Terry, grumpy Mike and family man Dietrich. She has also recently met her grandson Patrick and begun a tentative relationship with him. The book delves into Veronica’s wartime past and gradually reveals the secrets behind her stoic facade and the locket she wears constantly. My favourite character is Pip, the orphaned baby penguin they adopt, who melts even the toughest of hearts. 4.5 stars from me. ( )
  mimbza | May 11, 2024 |
One of those light hearted books that are a genre. Families and characters who do something unusual to "learn" something about life. It was an easy and fun read - nothing majorly awful was ever going to happen. ( )
  infjsarah | Dec 15, 2023 |
Delightful! ( )
  secondhandrose | Oct 31, 2023 |

Belongs to Series

I find Penguins at present the only comfort in life...One can't be angry when one looks at a Penguin.
—JOHN RUSHKIN
For Jonathan
I have told Eileen to get rid of all the mirrors.
I don't answer. It can be an advantage being slightly hard of hearing. You can always get away with not answering stupid questions.
I remember when I was a child I expected hugely wonderful things to simply fall into my lap.
I must try to do something before it's too late. Not just something with my money but something with my life, whatever dregs are left of it.
I am, at this moment, busy hunting for my reading glasses, which have gone missing again, as is their wont.
"'Though this be madness, yet there is method in't,'" I quote. "That is from Hamlet, you know."

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,255,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible