The Red Heart of Jade by Marjorie M. Liu

The Red Heart of Jade (2006)

by Marjorie M. Liu

345None31,514 (3.5)11

Maybe it's the result of reading these two write next to each other, but I saw a lot of SHADOW TOUCHED in THE RED HEART OF JADE. Nothing overt, but Mira and Dean's banter reminded me a lot of Elena and Artur, Mira's feelings for Koni reminded me of Elena's reaction to Artur's team, and Robert and Ricter had a lot in common. Nothing bad, just a sense of deja vu. Loved Mira and Dean, I can't figure out why it took me so long to read these books. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
The plot was a complete hot mess, the ending was a complete deus ex machina and confusing to boot, and there was a character identity reveal at the end which I had a) called about 150 pages before and which b) still made me giggle at the sheer silliness of it. Still, Dean and Mira are appealing characters, their relationship with one another was nicely comfortable, and their dialogue had some snap to it, which was really all I was looking for during a slow shift at work. (Also, I kind of want a book about Koni now. Hopefully, there'll be one later in the series.) ( )
  siriaeve | Apr 16, 2010 |
I found it slow reading because there was so much going on that I had to re-read portions occasionally. The first chapter made absolutely no sense at all. Dean Campbell is a clairvoyant who works for the Dirk & Steele detective agency (3rd book in the series). He's having a dream where he's burning alive and it took me a while to figure all that out. There seemed to be more blood and guts in this one with an evil dragon shapeshifter that rips people apart and burns them alive. One scene where he rips off a guy's ear and pops it in his mouth to crunch like a potato chip really turned my stomach. That was probably the worst scene.

Mirabelle Lee is a professor of archeology who hasn't seen Dean for 20 years. In fact they were childhood sweethearts who each thought the other was dead. I'm not going to go into the plot because it was very intricate. I loved the setting that starts out in Taipei and moves to HongKong and mainland China. My biggest problem with the book is that it does not have enough romance in it. I would classify it as a paranormal with a smidge of romance. (Grade: B-) ( )
1 vote reneebooks | Sep 8, 2009 |
People in Taipei are dying. Not nicely or neatly, but burned to crisps of ash and charred flesh. Thirteen corpses with no apparent connection, and no clues to point to a solution. The official speculation is spontaneous mass combustion, but unofficially -- that's where Dirk & Steele comes in. Dean Campbell's electrokinesis draws him the short straw, and with only a shapeshifter crow for back-up he's pounding the pavement, searching for any hint of a connection or a trace of the killer. When a chance brush with stray energy leads him to the latest victim, he finds a connection he never imagined possible: the dead woman who haunts his dreams.

Miranda Lee -- the not so dead one -- is an archaeologist. A guest of the Chinese government, she's been working with the unentombed bodies of two men and a woman alongside her mentor. But something sketchy is going on. When she's attacked in her hotel room and her colleague disappears, she's left with only a man from her past to trust -- like Alice down the rabbit hole, believing six impossible things before breakfast may just help keep Miri alive.

I read this one out of order, but once you have the general premise down (Dirk & Steele agents vs. the big evil), it isn't a problem. Miri and Dean are the most appealing characters since Hari and Elena in Tiger Eye. I really enjoyed the reappearance of the dragons, and I suspect the two of them may reappear to play a role in the finale, whenever that occurs. ( )
  SunnySD | Mar 25, 2008 |
Dean Campbell is an ex-cop, now working for Dirk & Steele, a detective agency who used their paranormal powers to deal with both mundane and paranormal cases. They kept trying to keep innocent people alive and stop some of the more evil paranormals from gaining an upper hand, sometimes compromising in order to achieve the greatest good.

Dean is in Taipei. He finds a few shocking things there. Someone or something powerful is killing people, and in the middle of the mystery is a woman he thought long dead - Dr Mirabelle Lee. Can he keep his mind on the case while the woman he loves is in danger?

It's a story that romps away and keeps you entralled even when you have questions about plot issues and the questions about the world. This is a world quite like ours and you can't help feeling sometimes that the author is using the books as a way of worldbuilding and even she isn't sure about some of the backbone of the series.

She did keep my attention and did make me want to read more so that's a bonus. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Sep 18, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 050552631X, Mass Market Paperback)

Imagine a world where magic rubs elbows with science, where men and women with supernatural powers secretly risk their lives to help others. It is a world where one right turn can deliver a mystery that will change your life forever, a world of shape-shifters, immortal magicians, criminal underworlds run by powerful psychics -- intrigue, mystery, and romance.

The saga continues in THE RED HEART OF JADE as Dean Campbell -- clairvoyant, dangerous, and irreverent -- finds himself hot on the trail of a murderer who is part of an ancient hunt for power, a hunt that has only one outcome: death or destruction. And at the heart of that hunt -- both prize and mystery -- is a women who died in Dean's arms twenty years earlier: Mirabelle Lee, childhood sweetheart and the love of his life. Together, alive and reunited, Dean and Miri are forced to rely on each other -- and the strength of their enduring love -- as they race to unravel the mystery that threatens not only their lives, but the entire world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:49 -0400)

While investigating several murders in Taipei, Dean Campbell, an ex-cop and a clairvoyant who works for a global agency that protects humankind, encounters Mirabelle Lee, the childhood sweetheart he believed to be dead, and finds an ally in a war against the evil ancient immortals.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,495,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible