Lovecraft by Keith Giffen Rodionoff, Enrique…

Lovecraft (original 2004; edition 2010)

by Keith Giffen Rodionoff, Enrique Breccia Hans (Writer)

A fascinating but disturbing study of one of America's greatest horror writers, the intense LOVECRAFT examines the bizarre life of author and recluse, Howard Phillips Lovecraft. Since his early childhood in the late 1800's Lovecraft was haunted with dark visions of demons and death. Trapped in a world of macabre creatures and grotesque thoughts, the writer found escape only by weaving his living nightmares into fictional blood curling horror stones. An uncensored tour into a troubled mind, this beautifully painted hardcover edition traces the toils of a man considered both mentally ill and genius as he stumbles across the fine line between reality and insanity. SUGGESTED FOR MATURE READERS.… (more)
Member:nyarly
Title:Lovecraft
Authors:Keith Giffen Rodionoff, Enrique Breccia Hans
Info:Magic Press (2010), Perfect Paperback
Collections:Your library, Libri letti, Libri a casa
Rating:*****

Lovecraft by Hans Rodionoff (Writer) (2004)

Alan Moore's The Courtyard by Alan Moore (paradoxosalpha)
    paradoxosalpha: Good Lovecraftian graphic novels.

English (6)  Danish (1)  Polish (1)  All languages (8)
Sunday readings, pre-Halloween selection.

***

Recommended by a real-life friend as psychological preparation for reading Lovecraft. Apparently it's short, good, and mandatory if I dont' want to go insane. Duly noted! ( )
  beabatllori | Apr 2, 2013 |
This graphic novel furnishes about as accurate a portrayal of H.P. Lovecraft as the movie "Chemical Wedding" (a.k.a. "Crowley") did of Aleister Crowley, which is to say: not particularly. In the foreword, moviemaker John Carpenter gives entirely too much credence to the possible facticity of the contents--which were apparently first developed as a screenplay.

Still, Rodionoff tells an entertaining story, and Breccia's art is quite effective and evocative. I would recommend it to horror comics afficianados and Cthulhu Mythos completists.
2 vote paradoxosalpha | Jul 28, 2011 |
A fascinating look at what if Lovecraft didn't make it all up.

The story was a bit hard to follow at times though for me some of that was becuase I was so distracted by the images. I felt fairly invested in the characters though, even the ones that weren't in the story for very long or given much background and the confusion I felt in the story actually helped with the story in the end since part of the concept seem to be, was this truly real or was he just insane?

I loved the use of the art and color to tell the story and differentiate between the "real" world and the world of Arkham, how the real world was mostly sepia toned, neutral and passive while Arkham was vibrant and colorful, chaotic and fantastic. I could spend forever studying the pages looking for hidden images and allusions.

For me this was a very successful adaptation of the Lovecraftian mythos, not an easy thing to do. ( )
  Kellswitch | Jul 28, 2011 |
I recently scored a less expensive used copy of this 2004 publication from Vertigo (list was $24.95 but I got a used hardcover for ( )
  carpentermt | Sep 17, 2010 |
This is an evocative graphic novel paying homage to the master of horror himself. I must admit in my opinion, bringing anything Lovecraftian into any sort of visual medium loses something in translation, but that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate this particular interpretation.

In this fictional biography, Lovecraft is an odd lantern-jawed child coddled by his mother who dresses him up like a girl. His grandfather fills his head with scary stories and his father goes mad--ultimately ending up in an asylum. It's then that Lovecraft discovers the Necronomicon to which he feeds sacrifices of small animals and unwittingly unleashes monstrosities. (more)
  syaffolee | Dec 18, 2007 |

Rodionoff, HansWriterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Breccia, EnríqueIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Giffen, KeithAdaptermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,300,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible