My Last Duchess

by Eloisa James

Series: The Wildes of Lindow Castle (0.5)

17311161,086 (4)1
Fiction. Romance. Historical Fiction. HTML:

New York Times bestselling author Eloisa James returns to the Wildes series with a prequel about the Wilde children's parents, Hugo, Duke of Lindow, and Ophelia, Lady Astley.
Every Duke needs a Duchess...

Hugo Wilde, the Duke of Lindow, has a drafty castle, eight naughty children—and no wife. Ophelia, Lady Astley, has a fine house, one well-behaved daughter—and no husband.

Hugo takes one look at Ophelia and loses his heart, but she doesn't want more children or a castle. She takes one look at him and heads for her carriage.

Desperate to find a duchess, Hugo identifies an appropriate lady to woo. Yet when he meets Ophelia again, the duke realizes that he will marry her, or no one.

Now he faces the greatest challenge of his life.

He must convince Ophelia that their blazing sensuality, his exquisite castle, and his eight charming children add up to a match made in heaven.

When a duke finds his duchess, can he win her heart?

… (more)

An interesting start to the Wilde series. The story of love at first sight was cute, there was a meet cute, lots of kids & meddling relatives. They say the third time's the charm & for the Duke of Lindow it's his last Duchess. ( )
  FDarlene491 | May 16, 2024 |
I can't stop grinning. This is a prequel to the Wildes of Lindlow Castle series and I actually suggest reading it in the order it was written. It has one of my pet peeves- insta-love, but I absolutely didn't mind it. I have read and adored Hugo and Phee through their kids, and knowing they still loved each other so many years later made reading the beginning of their HEA so much more special.

I just loved this book. Ophelia is a gem, and seeing Hugo fall so instantly and heavily was so delicious. I also loved seeing Louisa and the kids.

A truly lovely book, I highly recommend.

*Thanks to Edelweiss for the ARC*

DramPan | Sep 6, 2023 |
I liked this. It reminded me a lot of The Courtship by Grace Burrowes which is also a prequel written later about the parents of the series, and which I also enjoyed. There were generally good reasons for the characters to think a relationship might not work at different points, and the children didn't have a whole lot of page time, but what was there was cute. It's nice to see adults acting nicely with children even when they're not their own. I actually liked that the hero believes the heroine and respects her answer when she turns him down and that he tries to move on rather than hound her. And I also liked later when he decides it's her or no one. =) ( )
  JorgeousJotts | Jul 21, 2023 |
Meh ( )
  Luziadovalongo | Jul 14, 2022 |
There's something about Eloisa James characters in general, and the Wildes in particular, that just makes you root for their happiness. This seems to happen every single time, regardless of whether we know the characters well to being with or even if they are just lurking in the background, and this story is no exception. Delightful, if a big over-the-top (did Dukes really behave this way? Is carriage invasion an acceptable norm?), but I appreciated the magic of the frost fair, Ophelia's strong personality, and Hugo's nearly disastrous pragmatism. Good stuff.

Advanced reader's copy provided by Edelweiss. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |

Eloisa Jamesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Duerden, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Fiction. Romance. Historical Fiction. HTML:

Every Duke needs a Duchess...

Now he faces the greatest challenge of his life.

When a duke finds his duchess, can he win her heart?

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,953,391 books! | Top bar: Always visible