Magic Lessons: The Prequel to Practical…

Magic Lessons: The Prequel to Practical Magic (3) (edition 2020)

by Alice Hoffman (Author)

Series: Practical Magic (1)

Member:KellyPetit
Title:Magic Lessons: The Prequel to Practical Magic (3)
Authors:Alice Hoffman (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster (2020), Edition: 1st, 416 pages

Magic Lessons by Alice Hoffman

I read and listened to this book on audio. It's just wonderful! Now to reread Practical Magic again!!! ( )
  Dianekeenoy | Jul 29, 2021 |
Maria is abandoned by her mother and soon found by the kindly town herbal lady, Hannah Owens. Seeing that Maria is a natural witch, Hannah tries to teach her how to teach her how to use her gifts to help people. That is until Hannah is hunted down and Maria forced to run for her life. She starts a journey towards her birth mother, the American colonies, and maybe even, love.
Alice Hoffman has finally revisited the world of the wildly popular Practical Magic with a prequel. Magic Lessons gives the readers a detailed background of the Owens family and the family curse that is subject in the following books. Those that have read the previously published books will be excited to read Magic Lessons. It is enjoyable for readers to recognize themes that will come up in later books. It is undoubtedly the beginning of a cohesive narrative that leads to The Rules of Magic, Practical Magic, and, soon to be published, The Book of Magic... I recommend this book for fans of Magical Realism and eagerly look forward to the next book.
#NetGalley ( )
  Bibliophilly | Jun 9, 2021 |
In this prequel to Practical Magic, we learn how the first Owens family member arrived in the United States, and how love came to be cursed for the women of that family. ( )
  lilibrarian | May 17, 2021 |
It was a joy to finally read about Maria Owens, a witch who has loomed large in the lives of her female descendants. Hoffman has an amazing ability to make Owens’ magic realistic, and her women are ones I can admire even as I recognise their flaws. I hope she will introduce her readers to more Owens women. ( )
  KarenBayly | Apr 10, 2021 |
After being severely underwhelmed by Practical Magic I was a bit worried going into this final book in the prequel set, and while in terms of storytelling it falls somewhere short of the sheer loveliness of The Rules of Magic, it was still a pretty good read. Starting the story off in England, we get the tale of the origins of the Owens family of witches back to its founder: Maria. Technically, she isn't an Owens by blood, but she is adopted by Hannah Owens after being abandoned in a snowy field and becomes a curious blend of Hannah's hedge-witchery and that of her own blood-witch lineage. After seeing her childhood home go up in flames with Hannah inside it, Maria rejoins her mother and claims her heritage before making her way to across the ocean to start a new life. Her journey brings her to the new colonies of America, but at an unprecedented time of Puritanism in which this staunchly independent woman stands out far too much. As we see Maria forge her path, bring the dreaded Owens family curse to bear, and find love for a second and final time, we are also given a uniquely female lesson in American history. Hoffman's blend of historicism and witchcraft isn't my favourite in this instance, for it seems far too serious at times and devoid of the sheer life that infuses her more modern stories, but it has a certain rhythm that once adjusted to is enchanting in its own way. ( )
  JaimieRiella | Apr 6, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

---WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE
She was found on a January day in a field where the junipers grew, wound in a blue blanket with her name carefully stitched along the border with silk thread.
This was true magic, the making and unmaking of the world with paper and ink.
"To any man who ever loves an Owens, let this curse befall you, let your fate lead to disaster, let you be broken in body and soul, and may it be that you never recover."
Fate is what you make of it. You can make the best of it, or you can let it make the best of you.
Do as you will, but harm no one.
What you give will be returned to you threefold.
Fall in love whenever you can.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,491,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible