Now and then by Robert B. Parker

Now and then (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Robert B. Parker

Series: Spenser (35)

Member:sarah4uk
Title:Now and then
Authors:Robert B. Parker
Info:New York : G.P. Putnam's Sons, c2007.
Collections:calibre

Now & Then by Robert B. Parker (2007)

Reading Robert B. Parker's Spenser novels is like eating potato chips -- crunchy, salty, greasy, and utterly without nutrition, but who cares? There will be a case to solve -- sometimes even the case he was hired to solve, there will be sexy banter with Susan and macho banter with Hawk. There will be some meals described, and some fashion choices, and then to remind you that Spenser is a real he-man, despite the cooking and fashion commentary, somebody will get punched. Or shot. Or both.

This time around, what starts out as a tail on a cheating wife turns into a double murder investigation after a bugged conversation reveals possible connections with domestic terrorism.

Fun way to spend an afternoon, and it won't even spoil your dinner. ( )
  LyndaInOregon | Apr 30, 2019 |
Investigating a case of infidelity sounds simple—until it plunges Spenser and his beloved Susan into a politically charged murder plot that’s already left three people dead.
"Boston P.I. Spenser remains a lovable, trouble-making wiseacre.... while the straightforward plot gallops along, Parker nicely interjects a few questions on the morality of love and violence among Spenser's pithy bons mots about murder."
  MasseyLibrary | Mar 14, 2018 |
For my review please visit my blog: Martin's View: Now and Then. ( )
  Martin_Maenza | Apr 14, 2017 |
Another very acceptable entry in the Spenser cannon. The mystery was good and the relationship of Susan and Spenser continues on in its very enjoyable way. It was easy to get sucked into it and I finished it in just about two bouts of reading. The local color was spot on here. I had thought this was the last of the Spenser novels but I'm now not sure if another was written but not released before Parker's sudden death. This copy has a few intro chapters of Rough Weather so maybe I need one more Spenser in my library.
  amyem58 | Mar 25, 2017 |
Maybe the worst book I've ever read. Don't waste your time. I got the book for a dime at a local library when I found myself on the way to a place where I would spend time waiting, sans book. Hadn't read this author and won't again. All the characters speak in the same clipped style; they all sound alike except for Hawk possibly and only in minor ways is he different. It's an adolescent book, at best. I'm sorry I wasted time I could have spent reading something worthwhile. It would be nice to at least give the author credit for spending a few days writing it, but substance is lacking in books that are churned out by the dozen, it seems. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |

Robert B. Parkerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mantegna, JoeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Rose...always.
He came into my office carrying a thin briefcase under his left arm.

When a simple case turns into a treacherous and politically charged investigation, Spenser faces his most difficult challenge yet-keeping his cool while his beloved Susan Silverman is in danger.

Spenser knows something's amiss the moment Dennis Doherty walks into his office. The guy's aggressive yet wary, in the way men frightened for their marriages always are. So when Doherty asks Spenser to investigate his wife Jordan's abnormal behavior, Spenser agrees. A job's a job, after all.

Not surprisingly, Spenser catches Jordan with another man, tells Dennis what he's found out, and considers the case closed. But a couple of days later, all hell breaks loose, and three people are dead. This isn't just a marital affair gone bad. Spenser is in the middle of hornet's nest of trouble, and he's got to get out of it without getting stung. With Hawk watching his back, and gun-for-hire Vinnie Morris providing extra cover, Spenser delves into a complicated and far-reaching operation: Jordan's former lover, Perry Alderson, is the leader of a group that helps sponsor terrorists. But Perry doesn't like Spenser poking around his business, so he decides to get to Spenser through Susan. The Boston P.I. will use all his connections both above and below the law to uncover the truth behind Perry's antigovernment organization. But what Alderson doesn't realize is that Spenser will stop at absolutely nothing to keep Susan out of harm's way; nothing will keep him from the woman he loves.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:24 -0400)

Boston private investigator Spenser takes it personally when he tells his client, FBI agent Dennis Doherty, that his wife, Jordan, is having an affair, only to have the couple murdered, and he sets out to bring Jordan's lover, Perry Alderson, head of a group that helps sponsor terrorists, to justice.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,634,582 books! | Top bar: Always visible