Kidnapped (Illustrated Classic): 100th…

Kidnapped (Illustrated Classic): 100th Anniversary Collection (original 1886; edition 2018)

by Robert Louis Stevenson (Author)

Series: David Balfour (1)

A sixteen-year-old orphan is kidnapped by his villainous uncle, but later escapes and becomes involved in the struggle of the Scottish highlanders against English rule.
Member:MaryVBlair
Title:Kidnapped (Illustrated Classic): 100th Anniversary Collection
Authors:Robert Louis Stevenson (Author)
Info:SeaWolf Press (2018), Edition: Illustrated, 248 pages

Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson (1886)

English (99)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (104)
adventure fiction (at sea in the 19th century). Ralph Cosham's narration was impressive (scottish accent seemed excellent, irish accent maybe slightly less so, but I'm definitely not an expert on either). I keep falling asleep after 10 minutes or so of listening, but that's kind of the point. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
I loved it ( )
  Melorak | Jun 23, 2021 |
Kidnapped is set in Scotland a few years after Culloden. David Balfour has been recently orphaned and is apparently set to inherit an estate… but not if his uncle has anything to do with it. David finds himself kidnapped and having to work his way back home through the Highlands in the company of noted Jacobite Alan Breck Stewart.

This book is perhaps slightly less iconic than Treasure Island, but it’s still a good story. I particularly like the setting and the time period. The language is also delightful, full of Scots words, although the public-domain printing on Project Gutenberg (or at least the one used by the app Serial Reader) contains parenthetical explanations of these words that I found annoying. I prefer to guess the meaning of unfamiliar words in context or look them up separately, because people aren’t going to explain their own language with parentheticals in dialogue! So I would recommend finding a print edition that explains these terms less obtrusively. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Apr 29, 2021 |
Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson is a classic adventure story about David Balfour who is tricked by his miserly uncle in order to steal his inheritance. David finds himself spirited away upon a sailing ship bound for America. The plan is to sell David into slavery, but fugitive Jacobite, Alan Stewart is brought on board and comes to David’s rescue when the ship runs aground just off the east coast of Scotland.

It is 1751 and Scotland is still feeling the effects of the bloody revolt against England that was doomed to failure. David is a Whig and supports England, and Alan, a Jacobite, is considered a traitor, yet these two form an alliance and journey across the Scottish highlands, escaping from Alan’s political enemies with the goal of outwitting David’s uncle and claiming his inheritance. They face many hardships together that tests their friendship but they remain loyal to each other.

While Kidnapped isn’t quite as gripping as Treasure Island, it is still an excellent and stirring adventure story that has appealed to young readers for generations. As it was originally considered a boy’s story, the plot has been kept quite simple which left me rather detached from the story. However, it’s themes of loyalty and justice are as fresh today as they were when the book was first published. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Apr 17, 2021 |

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

MY DEAR CHARLES BAXTER:

If you ever read this tale, you will likely ask yourself more questions than I should care to answer: as for instance how the Appin murder has come to fall in the year 1751, how the Torran rocks have crept so near to Earraid, or why the printed trial is silent as to all that touches David Balfour. These are nuts beyond my ability to crack. But if you tried me on the point of Alan's guilt or innocence, I think I could defend the reading of the text. To this day you will find the tradition of Appin clear in Alan's favour. If you inquire, you may even hear that the descendants of "the other man" who fired the shot are in the country to this day. But that other man's name, inquire as you please, you shall not hear; for the Highlander values a secret for itself and for the congenial exercise of keeping it I might go on for long to justify one point and own another indefensible; it is more honest to confess at once how little I am touched by the desire of accuracy. This is no furniture for the scholar's library, but a book for the winter evening school-room when the tasks are over and the hour for bed draws near; and honest Alan, who was a grim old fire-eater in his day has in this new avatar no more desperate purpose than to steal some young gentleman's attention from his Ovid, carry him awhile into the Highlands and the last century, and pack him to bed with some engaging images to mingle with his dreams.

As for you, my dear Charles, I do not even ask you to like this tale. But perhaps when he is older, your son will; he may then be pleased to find his father's name on the fly-leaf; and in the meanwhile it pleases me to set it there, in memory of many days that were happy and some (now perhaps as pleasant to remember) that were sad. If it is strange for me to look back from a distance both in time and space on these bygone adventures of our youth, it must be stranger for you who tread the same streets--who may to-morrow open the door of the old Speculative, where we begin to rank with Scott and Robert Emmet and the beloved and inglorious Macbean--or may pass the corner of the close where that great society, the L. J. R., held its meetings and drank its beer, sitting in the seats of Burns and his companions. I think I see you, moving there by plain daylight, beholding with your natural eyes those places that have now become for your companion a part of the scenery of dreams. How, in the intervals of present business, the past must echo in your memory! Let it not echo often without some kind thoughts of your friend,

R.L.S. SKERRYVORE, BOURNEMOUTH.
I will begin the story of my adventures with a certain morning early in the month of June, the year of grace 1751, when I took the key for the last time out of the door of my father's house.
This is the main work for Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson. Do not combine with any abridgement, adaptation, etc.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441798, 0141326026, 0451531434

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,241,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible