Kidnapped (Educator Classic Library) by…

Kidnapped (Educator Classic Library) (original 1886; edition 1969)

by Robert Louis Stevenson (Author), Don Irwin (Illustrator)

Series: David Balfour (1)

A sixteen-year-old orphan is kidnapped by his villainous uncle, but later escapes and becomes involved in the struggle of the Scottish highlanders against English rule.
Member:RosemaryDemos
Title:Kidnapped (Educator Classic Library)
Authors:Robert Louis Stevenson (Author)
Other authors:Don Irwin (Illustrator)
Info:Childrens Press (1969), Edition: Classic Press, 224 pages

Work Information

Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson (1886)

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (edjane)
    The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan (chrisharpe)
    Birthright: The True Story that Inspired Kidnapped by A. Roger Ekirch (kraaivrouw)
    Middle Passage by Charles Johnson (thesmellofbooks)
    thesmellofbooks: Young men in dire straits on the open seas, a background of oppression, and historical richness are a few of the elements these books share. They are both ripping good yarns.
    The Amateur Emigrant / The Silverado Squatters by Robert Louis Stevenson (John_Vaughan)
    Go Saddle the Sea by Joan Aiken (themulhern)
    themulhern: I have a theory that each book in the Felix Brooker series is an homage to some work of Robert Louis Stevenson's. This one is clearly an homage to "Kidnapped"; there's the kidnapping, of course, but also the shipwreck, the somewhat mysterious parentage, the nefarious relative, the stalwart and canny friend.… (more)
    Monster Blood Tattoo, Book 1: Foundling by D. M. Cornish (Nikkles)
Elevenses (108)
1880s (9)

English (106)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (111)
I liked it but not as much as I thought I would. Honestly, the main problem for me was how long Alan and David were on the run. Chapter after chapter after chapter after chapter of running through bogs and over mountains and through rocky terrain in extreme weather. Instead of being suspenseful, I just found it tedious. I really enjoyed the rest of it, particularly the character of Alan. ( )
  AliceAnna | Aug 8, 2022 |
Skóciában, a XVIII. század derekán David Balfour, az elárvult whig kamasz nagybátyjához érkezik, de otthon, édes otthon helyett aljas cselszövevény fogadja – így kerül Hoseason kapitány hajójára, akinek feltett szándéka rabszolgának eladni őt a gyarmatokon*. Hányattatásai során összeakad a büszke jakobita nemessel, Alan Stewart-tal, akivel karöltve bujkálja-kóborolja át a komplett skót felföldet fenyérestül, hangástul, Macgregorostul. Stevenson igazi kalandregényt rittyent a vérzivataros skót történelemből, háttérben a királyhű protestáns whigek és lázadó katolikus jakobiták harcával. Jó szokása szerint kiszedi a regényből a csontos-mócsingos realizmust, ami pedig marad, az maga az ízletes, könnyen fogyasztható filé: a mese. Az ő keze alatt a história otthonos, családias közeg, hősei pedig „derék emberek”, mert ez a fontos: deréknek lenni. Az pedig, hogy közben kibékíthetetlen érdekellentétek állnak közöttük, nem számít – a nehézségek közepette elolvadnak a különbségek, és csak a barátság marad. Szép történet, egyszerű történet – jól esett, a tíz ujjamat megnyaltam utána.

* Merthogy akkoriban ez a veszedelem nem csak Afrika lakóit fenyegette, hanem bizony az óvatlan briteket is. ( )
  Kuszma | Jul 2, 2022 |
  archivomorero | Jun 27, 2022 |
Good old-fashioned adventure tale. Clean, with characters of varying moral compasses. Easy to see why this is an all-time classic. ( )
  Michael_J | Jun 2, 2022 |
Untypically for an adventure story, while there are of course many thrilling moments, there are also long passages in which the adolescent hero struggles most of all with fatigue, exposure, hunger ... in fact three times (in less than the three months during which the story is happening) he is actually bedridden for a few days or even weeks. And yet somehow even those passages feel no less 'adventurous' than the other ones. And the fact that (unlike in its sequel) RLS involved the hero in what today would be called a bromance, rather than in a romance, no doubt adds to the book's timeless appeal. ( )
  Stravaiger64 | Sep 23, 2021 |

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a student's study guide

MY DEAR CHARLES BAXTER:

If you ever read this tale, you will likely ask yourself more questions than I should care to answer: as for instance how the Appin murder has come to fall in the year 1751, how the Torran rocks have crept so near to Earraid, or why the printed trial is silent as to all that touches David Balfour. These are nuts beyond my ability to crack. But if you tried me on the point of Alan's guilt or innocence, I think I could defend the reading of the text. To this day you will find the tradition of Appin clear in Alan's favour. If you inquire, you may even hear that the descendants of "the other man" who fired the shot are in the country to this day. But that other man's name, inquire as you please, you shall not hear; for the Highlander values a secret for itself and for the congenial exercise of keeping it I might go on for long to justify one point and own another indefensible; it is more honest to confess at once how little I am touched by the desire of accuracy. This is no furniture for the scholar's library, but a book for the winter evening school-room when the tasks are over and the hour for bed draws near; and honest Alan, who was a grim old fire-eater in his day has in this new avatar no more desperate purpose than to steal some young gentleman's attention from his Ovid, carry him awhile into the Highlands and the last century, and pack him to bed with some engaging images to mingle with his dreams.

As for you, my dear Charles, I do not even ask you to like this tale. But perhaps when he is older, your son will; he may then be pleased to find his father's name on the fly-leaf; and in the meanwhile it pleases me to set it there, in memory of many days that were happy and some (now perhaps as pleasant to remember) that were sad. If it is strange for me to look back from a distance both in time and space on these bygone adventures of our youth, it must be stranger for you who tread the same streets--who may to-morrow open the door of the old Speculative, where we begin to rank with Scott and Robert Emmet and the beloved and inglorious Macbean--or may pass the corner of the close where that great society, the L. J. R., held its meetings and drank its beer, sitting in the seats of Burns and his companions. I think I see you, moving there by plain daylight, beholding with your natural eyes those places that have now become for your companion a part of the scenery of dreams. How, in the intervals of present business, the past must echo in your memory! Let it not echo often without some kind thoughts of your friend,

R.L.S. SKERRYVORE, BOURNEMOUTH.
I will begin the story of my adventures with a certain morning early in the month of June, the year of grace 1751, when I took the key for the last time out of the door of my father's house.
This is the main work for Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson. Do not combine with any abridgement, adaptation, etc.
Do Not Combine

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441798, 0141326026, 0451531434

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,341,416 books! | Top bar: Always visible