The Hollow Places: A Novel by T. Kingfisher

The Hollow Places: A Novel (edition 2020)

by T. Kingfisher (Author)

"A young woman discovers a strange portal in her uncle's house, leading to madness and terror in this gripping new novel from the author of the "innovative, unexpected, and absolutely chilling" (Mira Grant, Nebula Award-winning author) The Twisted Ones. Pray they are hungry. Kara finds the words in the mysterious bunker that she's discovered behind a hole in the wall of her uncle's house. Freshly divorced and living back at home, Kara now becomes obsessed with these cryptic words and starts exploring this peculiar area-only to discover that it holds portals to countless alternate realities. But these places are haunted by creatures that seem to hear thoughts...and the more one fears them, the stronger they become. With her distinctive "delightfully fresh and subversive" (SF Bluestocking) prose and the strange, sinister wonder found in Guillermo del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth, The Hollow Places is another compelling and white-knuckled horror novel that you won't be able to put down"--… (more)
Member:Sarah-2
Title:The Hollow Places: A Novel
Authors:T. Kingfisher (Author)
Info:Gallery / Saga Press (2020), 352 pages
Rating:***

Work Information

The Hollow Places by T Kingfisher

I was expecting something a little different, atmosphere-wise, but I wasn't disappointed. At some points I had the feeling I was reading Annihilation but it was written by Charlaine Harris (without the romance undertones).

I liked the two main characters and thought their dynamic and friendship came through nicely. (The cat was also great!) The plot was good, but it didn't really make much of an impact. For me, the characters and the fun, easy writing made this an enjoyable read.

I'll definitely keep the name of the author in mind. ( )
  tuusannuuska | Dec 1, 2022 |
This book was fun to me, because it reminded me of a recurring dream I have. In this dream, I go up some stairs into an old house, but then I take another door once I'm inside, that opens onto a secret stairwell, that goes up into other stories of the house and into rooms that nobody knows about. Each time I have this dream, I find more rooms that I didn't know about before. It's really fun to explore.
And in this book, I thought it would be really fun to explore the halls in the rooms they found, that is until it got into the horror part of it. Still, it was pretty cool. I was pretty disappointed when they loaded it up with concrete so they couldn't get back in there anymore.
Well I have my highlights from reading it on a e-reader. You can see what I highlighted there. ( )
  burritapal | Oct 23, 2022 |
This was a book from a Librarything Recommendation and after reading it, I found it an excellent book - perfect scary with a bit of a science. When Clara (Carrot to her friends and family) finds a hole in the wall, that leads to a bunker, she enlists her friend Simon to help figure out where it goes. And where it goes is to an alternate reality, one filled with swampland and hills that hold bunkers. This place is filled with willows, endless willows. At first, confused, than lost, than scared, they find out the place is a meeting point of realities, and your really don't want this place to get in your world.

Now, the book started strong, but I found the ending to not match the earlier book, instead of a creepy science type horror, it turns into a creepy supernatural type horror, and I found these two ideas really didn't match. However, I'm glad I read it - The characters are outstanding, from Clara trying to get over a divorce, to Simon, a character whose identity is more than just Gay friend. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Oct 14, 2022 |
This was properly scary, a hole in the world that let Kara through while she's minding her uncles' home and museum. A hole she ventures through but it leaves an echo behind and stopping the things that can harm from causing harm to her and her friends are the biggest task, she will never be the same again.
This was a good read and I was genuinely on the edge of my seat for a lot of it. I will never look at willows the same again. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Oct 13, 2022 |
I’m not sure whether to call this book a horror story, science fiction, or fantasy. Whatever it is, I loved it.

Freshly divorced and still gob-smacked by this fact Kara goes to live with her aging and eccentric uncle Earl. Earl’s not just your average eccentric; his home is also a museum of weird things: the Glory to God Museum of Natural Wonders, Curiosities, and Taxidermy. It’s a tourist spot; people come to see the Fiji Mermaids, Jackalopes, human skulls, posters about Big Foot and aliens, and dioramas of stuffed mice reenacting the end of The Empire Strikes Back. The deal is she will help with the museum in exchange for rent. She’s good at it; she helped out there as a teenager and is used to the bones and stuffed elk head that her grandfather puts over her bed because he knows it was her friend when she was a kid.

When grandpa has to go get knee surgery, Kara is sure she can handle the musuem on her own. Right up until she notices that someone has knocked a hole in the sheetrock in one room. She enlists the aid of the barista next door, Simon, a gay thrift-store, Mad Hatter, goth- to fix the hole. And pretty much as soon as he starts he discovers a very large problem- there is a hallway behind the hole. Which would be fine, except… there is not really anything behind that room. It’s a place that cannot be there.

Of course they enlarge the hole so they can investigate. The more they see, the weirder things get, until they know they are in another world. A world of water, small islands of sand, metal bunkers on the islands, and willows. Lots and lots of willows. Think Algernon Blackwood amount of willows.

This book is seriously creepy. The can’t be there world looks innocent at first, until they start to explore. This is Twilight Zone extended to movie length territory, the biggest fear (to me) being ‘what if they can’t get back”. But there is more to fear than just that; there are things that are just wrong. The book is also seriously funny; Kara and Simon make a great, practical team dealing with the horrors but they also react to fear with humor, which I can relate to. I loved the characters, I loved that there was no love interest thrown in the mix, and I really love that, even though it’s a stand alone as far as I can tell, it could easily be made into a series. I mean, Kara does live in a museum of the weird, and people send them new stuff all the time…. Five stars. ( )
  lauriebrown54 | Aug 14, 2022 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,264,197 books! | Top bar: Always visible