Someone Like You by Cathy Kelly

Someone Like You (2000)

by Cathy Kelly

Foreign Affairs by Patricia Scanlan (kazgreen1)
    kazgreen1: Both stories relate to the characters going on a foreign holiday and also both involve the theme of female friendship and how it helps women through the harder times in their lives

English (8)  Dutch (1)  All languages (9)
Author Cathy Kelly gives us three very distinctive women in this book. They all have their personal ups and downs and all are in need of a good friend/confidante. How fortunate that this is just what they find on a vacation in Egypt. They bond in the blistering Egyptian heat and, since they all live fairly near one another, continue the friendship once they are back in Dublin.
Hannah is the insecure career girl who has been dumped by her boyfriend of ten years. Can a career replace her need for romance? Will one-night stands be enough to satisfy? Can the handsome actor who fancies her provide lasting happiness?
Emma is a pathetic woman who even though married is being emotionally and verbally abused by her parents. When the tables are turned and a catastrophic illness causes them to need her, will she be there? Can she ever face the fears she has about not being able to conceive a child?
Leonie is the flamboyant mother of three teens who touched me the most. She has to face flying to America to see her ex-husband marry the perfect woman while she herself is reduced to looking for love in the personal ads column. Share her joy and sorrow as each of these dates leads to even more problems. Will Leonie be able to referee life at home and still find satisfaction for herself? And just who is that mysterious neighbor who walks his two dogs?
There's plenty of heart-touching situations in this one as three grown women find the courage to confront life's problems----the everyday ones and the major ones. After all, with friends like these, you know that hope and happiness is just around the corner. ( )
  AlexisLovesBooks | Feb 9, 2016 |
Great book! It really explored the theme of friendship between women and the way you can meet people on a holiday you wouldn't normally interact with and form new friendships. I loved the character of Leonie the best, I could really relate to her search for love and her envy of her ex-husbands new woman and how he had moved on and she hadn't. She was also a funny character. Emma was a bit annoying to begin with but became stronger towards the end. All in all it was very engaging and I couldn't put it down once I started. This is my favourite Cathy Kelly book ( )
  kazgreen1 | Aug 31, 2011 |
For some reason I am one of those people who don't read popular authors when they first become popular. I'm not sure why that is - perhaps it is because I read a lot of lesser known authors and enjoy supporting them.

Anyway, now I have finally read a Cathy Kelly book, I know I'll come back for more.

The book, Someone Like You, is set in Ireland and tells the story of three women, with very different backgrounds, coming together on a holiday in Egypt. They soon become friends and that friendship grows once they return home and have to face their old lives again.
Through the ups and downs each woman endures in their lives - Emma, wanting a baby and coping with a dominating father, Hannah, recovering from a broken heart and finds love where she least expects it, and Leonie, the oldest woman who has her hands full raising three teenagers and who hopes one day to meet the man of her dreams.
The books is full of practical modern day issues and is touched with witty humour and, at times, sadness, but Cathy Kelly's writitng shines as she brings the stories of these three women to a wonderful conclusion and I was reluctant to close the book. ( )
1 vote AnneBrear | Aug 25, 2010 |
I enjoyed reading this book like the first Cathy Kelly book. She'll continue to be an author who's books I am excited to read! Lucky, since I bought about 4 more!

I liked Leonie's character. I felt like she was the most real and non-phony and she was also just an overall nice person.

I didn't like Hannah's character at all. As much as she thought she was being this independent person, she kept putting herself in situations that made her completely the opposite. I just couldn't believe some of the things she did.

Emma's character was good and I could relate to her in her inability to stand up to people b/c it's "not nice to be angry." But in the end, she stood up for herself saying exactly what I told myself this year "You can't talk to me like that." I didn't like how she could not be happy for Hannah when she was pregnant though. I know how awful it is to see other people always have something that you've wanted a long time but you can't be rude to people. You just have to suck it up and take it for the time that you can. And THEN go home and cry.

On the other hand, Hannah was very insensitive to Emma when she first got pregnant. ( )
  lanicesca | Jun 15, 2009 |
It was a wonderfully romantic book without being overly sloppy! A great story of three women friends to help each other over life's big & little obstacles ( )
  magst | Jul 24, 2007 |
Bruisend van humor en romantiek
Voor John, met al mijn liefde
Hannah stak een slank, gebruind been uit, draaide met haar druipende voet bedreven aan de warmwaterkraan en genoot intens van het hete water dat ze in het bad voelde stromen.

Cathy Kelly has enjoyed unprecedented success in the UK and her native Ireland. Building on the popularity of her "Dear Cathy" advice column, Kelly brings to her fiction a warmth and humor that speaks to women everywhere.

Someone Like You is a celebration of life and friendship, firmly establishing Cathy Kelly as a captivating new voice in contemporary women's fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:14 -0400)

Hannah, Emma, and Leonie, three women at critical turning points in their lives, meet on holiday and find themselves changing in unexpected ways. Hannah, young, beautiful and reeling from the betrayal of a lover, decides to throw herself into her career and embrace the single life. Emma, married for two years and hoping to start a family, constantly questions her ability to be a parent, while still allowing her own parents to interfere in her life. Leonie, generously proportioned and equally big-hearted, wonders if she'll ever find love with three teenage children in tow.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,188,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible