The Goodbye Summer

by Patricia Gaffney

The Goodbye Summer is anunforgettable novel about daring to love, braving a loss, and setting yourself free, by Patricia Gaffney, the author of the phenomenal New York Times bestseller, normal">The Saving Graces. Poignantly exploring one woman's inner growth and self discovery over the course of a season of profound change, The Goodbye Summer is women's fiction at its finest--heartbreaking, healing, emotional, and real. As Nora Roberts so aptly puts it, Patricia Gaffney "reminds us what it's like to be a woman."… (more)

Caddie's mother died when Caddie was nine, and she was brought up by her eccentric artistic grandmother. Now Caddie is 32, and looking after her increasingly frail grandmother. Caddie swings from maturity to childlikeness, as circumstances lead to major changes in both their lives. Gradually, Caddie comes to terms with her fears and past hurts.

Great holiday reading with likeable people. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
How much can one summer change a person's life? For thirty-two year old Caddie Winger, one summer can make the whole world look different. A piano teacher who gives lessons to the neighborhood children, Caddie still lives with her grandmother and is extremely happy with her present life.

Caddie's mother died when she was nine, and she was raised by her grandmother. Now, their roles are reversed, and it's Caddie who cares for her Nana. When her grandmother breaks her leg and insists on going into a convalescent home, Caddie finds herself being pulled out of her comfy, self-made nest. Living on her own for the first time since college, she uncovers some startling truths from her past.

Jolted, she looks at the world through new eyes and begins to take charge of her future. As she makes a new best friend, takes risks she never dreamed she could, and navigates the depths and shallows of true love and devastating heartbreak, Caddie learns how to trust other people and, ultimately, how to trust herself.

This is the third book by Patricia Gaffney that I've ever read, and I have truly enjoyed all three books that I've read. I loved the portrayal of the characters in The Goodbye Summer and have to say that this book was lovely to read. The Goodbye Summer by Patricia Gaffney is a definite five star read for me, and I'm certainly going to put it on my keeper bookshelf. Definitely an A+! book for me and I look forward to reading more from Patricia Gaffney very soon! :) ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Nov 13, 2012 |
Alright read, but nothing special... ( )
  jlouise77 | Apr 8, 2009 |
I agree with reviewer "Darla". I really liked this book. I liked the subtle growth of the character, it reminds me of real life and how situations slowly change your outlook and how you react. I did not cry, but I must admit that I don't cry easily. I did get the lump in my throat though. I read [Good In Bed] by Jennifer Weiner recently and this book reminded me of that book.
Caddie Winger was raised by her Grandmother, Frances. She did not really know her Mother, Jane, who was in a band and traveled most of the time. Her Mother was then killed in an accident when Caddie was 9. Caddie, now 32, is learning that life can come at you fast. She is now the "caregiver" for her Grandmother and is taking a chance on love. Through the summer she learns about her past and her present and what she is capable of being in the future. ( )
  WillowOne | Sep 1, 2008 |
I have to agree with other reviews I've read, I had a hard time staying with the book. And I can't even explain why. Maybe it was because Caddie just drifted through so much of the book. She was a nice girl, the old people liked her, she taught music students, but her life changed around her rather than Caddie initiating the changes to her life ( )
  punxsygal | Mar 29, 2008 |
To the loving, gentle, dedicated staff at Brooke Grove Retirement Village, particularly those at The Meadows and at Sharon Nursing Home. Thank you for relieving my mind, and for your many, many kindnesses.
The first Caddie Winger ever heard of Wake House was when she was helping her grandmother get her drawers on over the cast on her leg.

The Goodbye Summer is anunforgettable novel about daring to love, braving a loss, and setting yourself free, by Patricia Gaffney, the author of the phenomenal New York Times bestseller, The Saving Graces. Poignantly exploring one woman's inner growth and self discovery over the course of a season of profound change, The Goodbye Summer is women's fiction at its finest--heartbreaking, healing, emotional, and real. As Nora Roberts so aptly puts it, Patricia Gaffney "reminds us what it's like to be a woman."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,559,840 books! | Top bar: Always visible