The Gift: A Novel by Danielle Steel

The Gift: A Novel (original 1994; edition 1996)

by Danielle Steel (Author)

Danielle Steel's thirty-third bestseller is a moving love story set in a small Midwestern town in the 1950s. The time is the 1950s, when life was simpler, people still believed in dreams, and family was, very nearly, everything. The place is a small midwestern town with a high school and a downtown, a skating pond and a movie house. And on a tree lined street in the heartland of America, an extraordinary set of events begins to unfold. And gradually what seems serendipitous is tinged with purpose. A happy home is shattered by a child's senseless death. A loving marriage starts to unravel. And a stranger arrives--a young woman who will touch many lives before she moves on. She and a young man will meet and fall in love. Their love, so innocent and full of hope, helps to restore a family's dreams: And all of their lives will be changed forever by the precious gift she leaves them. The gift is a magical story told with stunning simplicity and power. It reveals a relationship so moving it will take your breath away. And it tells a haunting and beautiful truth about the unpredictability--and the wonder--of life.… (more)
Member:MommaO
Title:The Gift: A Novel
Authors:Danielle Steel (Author)
Info:Dell (1996), 288 pages

Work Information

The Gift by Danielle Steel (1994)

A nice story but too predictable. ( )
  soosthemoose | Sep 22, 2021 |
I read a lot of Danielle Steel books when I was younger because my mother usually got her latest novel as soon as there was an appropriate gift-giving event, so they were easily available to me. Even though this follows the usual Steel formula of "deliriously happy people suddenly cut down by life before picking up the pieces," this one was particularly well-written and touching (it probably helps that it's short and no time is wasted on anything that's not necessary). ( )
  Jeeps | Sep 21, 2019 |
Svenska: Gåvan
  helenaferry | Jan 18, 2019 |
It was an okay book. It really wasn't my kind of book, I got bored with it and it's rather predictable. I knew what happened before I even finished the first chapter so that shows how predictable these kinds of books are. I was glad when I get the book finished, it just wasn't my kind of book there wasn't enough excitement in it for me.

The 1950's are much different then they are today when it comes to pregnancy of teens. Now a days when a teenager gets pregnant people really could care less, we just see it so often anymore that we don't really pay attention to it. But in the 1950's if an teenager got pregnant they were forced to get married to the baby's daddy or if they didn't they were shipped off to have it with no support from their family's it was sad really. ( )
  Sam-Teegarden | Jun 2, 2018 |
This is my first Danielle Steel novel. It is very good but goodness what an emotional roller coaster!
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |

Danielle Steelprimary authorall editionscalculated
Luntinen, KaisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Annie Whittaker loved everything about Christmas.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,943,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible