Boyfriend Material

by Alexis Hall

Series: London Calling {Hall} (1)

8205622,508 (4.13)25
"Wanted: One (fake) boyfriend Practically perfect in every way Luc O'Donnell is tangentially-and reluctantly-famous. His rock star parents split when he was young, and the father he's never met spent the next twenty years cruising in and out of rehab. Now that his dad's making a comeback, Luc's back in the public eye, and one compromising photo is enough to ruin everything. To clean up his image, Luc has to find a nice, normal relationship...and Oliver Blackwood is as nice and normal as they come. He's a barrister, an ethical vegetarian, and he's never inspired a moment of scandal in his life. In other words: perfect boyfriend material. Unfortunately apart from being gay, single, and really, really in need of a date for a big event, Luc and Oliver have nothing in common. So they strike a deal to be publicity-friendly (fake) boyfriends until the dust has settled. Then they can go their separate ways and pretend it never happened. But the thing about fake-dating is that it can feel a lot like real-dating. And that's when you get used to someone. Start falling for them. Don't ever want to let them go"--… (more)

YOUR HONOR I LOVE THEM!!!
Two awkward introverts having to interact is the representation I needed in my life. Both Luc and Oliver are extremely compelling, specially because of how flawed they are.
This is everything I need in a rom-com: it's funny (surprisingly so), sweet, the conflict is not so stupid I want to bang the character's heads together, and the humor is not filled with millennial pop culture slang that is already cringe to read in the year of publication.
I rest my case. ( )
  mpturra | Sep 19, 2022 |
Boyfriend Material is hilarious and heartwarming. I loved it! The audiobook is brilliant as the Brits would say. ( )
  SGKowalski | Sep 1, 2022 |
"Luc" - Oliver wheeled me back around- "you've come a long way. Don't give up now." "But I like giving up. It's my single biggest talent."

3.5 stars
I didn't expect to like this as much as I did. Nothing truly happens except Luc trying to live his life and fake dating Oliver, but some of the dialogue and descriptions were very funny. ( )
  MYvos | Sep 1, 2022 |
A romcom with no sex scenes that take over the plot!

The story follows Luc O'Donnell as he deals with unwanted attention because of his rock star parents that split when he was young. Now, he lives with his mother and his dad is coming back into his life. Since Luc is getting bad publicity and he needs to clean his image he gets into a fake relationship with a barrister named Oliver Blackwood, who is seemingly perfect. The book explores their relationship, their work and family struggles.

Until this day I haven’t found a romance book that I love so when I at least find them ok I count that as a win. I prefer the romance plot to be secondary and here it’s more or less on the level of the family drama. The reasons why the main characters start to fake date are weird, but it didn’t bothered me.

The main characters were good, sweet and funny together, but the secondary characters weren’t that developed at all, except for maybe two. There are even some characters that are dumber than everyone is or will ever be in real life and I know it was meant to be funny, but that is a thing I always find annoying in comedies. Some of the jokes and references didn’t work for me, but others were pretty funny and made me chuckle at least.

What I liked the most in this book, besides some parts of the main relationship, was the resolution between Luc and his father. I also liked how the author was clearly aware of the romantic and family drama tropes and decided to do something a little different for the most part.

I will probably not read the sequel and I finished this book because I was listening to it and so I was entertained. Joe Jameson is a good narrator and kept me engaged, even if I didn’t like the voices done for some of the characters. Still, given that I don’t usually care much for these kind of books, even though I keep trying, this was fun. ( )
  elderlingfae | Aug 11, 2022 |
A fake dating romcom, Boyfriend Material ranges from gently amusing to laugh-out-loud funny, and the characters are a delight. I loved every second I spent with this book, and even as a major fan of Hall's work, I was surprised and impressed by how well he tenderly subverted several romance tropes while still somehow letting the reader enjoy the tropes anyway. Recommended. ( )
  lycomayflower | Aug 1, 2022 |

Stokes, Elizabeth TurnerCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tomczak, MartynaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To CMC
I've never seen the point of fancy dress parties. You have two choices: either you make a massive effort and wind up looking like a dick, or you make no effort and wind up looking like a dick. And my problem, as always, was not knowing what kind of dick I wanted to be.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,058,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible