Honderd miljoen jaar en een dag by…

Honderd miljoen jaar en een dag (original 2022; edition 2022)

by Jean-Baptiste Andrea, Gertrud Maes, Martine Woudt

'Unforgettable' Mail on Sunday  'Powerful'Sunday Times  'Quietly devastating' Daily Mail  'Every line is golden' Sara Taylor  'Sublime and beautiful' Carys Davies When he hears a story about a huge dinosaur fossil locked deep inside an Alpine glacier, university professor Stan finds a childhood dream reignited. Whatever it takes, he is determined to find the buried treasure.   But Stan is no mountaineer and must rely on the help of old friend Umberto, who brings his eccentric young assistant, Peter, and cautious mountain guide Gio. Time is short: they must complete their expedition before winter sets in. As bonds are forged and tested on the mountainside, and the lines between determination and folly are blurred, the hazardous quest for the Earth's lost creatures becomes a journey into Stan's own past.   This breathless, heartbreaking epic-in-miniature speaks to the adventurer within us all.… (more)
Member:mavave
Title:Honderd miljoen jaar en een dag
Authors:Jean-Baptiste Andrea
Other authors:Gertrud Maes, Martine Woudt
Info:Zaandam Uitgeverij Oevers 2022
Tags:to-read

Work Information

A Hundred Million Years and a Day by Jean-Baptiste Andrea (2022)

This review was written for LibraryThing Member Giveaways.
I won a copy in exchange for a review from a membership giveaway posted on LibraryThing.

Overall a very enjoyable well-rounded read. I found both the writing style and length of the story effective. I'm always a bit wary when it comes to reading books under 200 pages (the copy I received was 170pg) as I'm concerned that the author hasn't given themselves enough pages to execute an interesting story. Thankfully I lost all worry within the first 50 pages. ( )
  SarahRichards | Nov 10, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
For some reason I had a hard time getting started with this book. I set it aside wondering if I would continue. A couple of weeks later I picked it up and was pleasantly surprised. I didn't put it down again. It's a tale of four men on a dangerous expedition in the Italian/French Alps in search of a dinosaur skeleton. It has a poetic, dreamy quality along with the hardships of trying to break through glacial ice to access a cave. It's also a tale of friendships made and broken, obsession, isolation, and coping with the past.It is both harsh and oddly comforting. ( )
  seeword | Aug 29, 2020 |
I really wanted to love this story of a paleontologist who believes he can find a dinosaur in the mountains, but while a good read, it left me slightly underwhelmed too. Full review on my blog here: https://annabookbel.net/a-hundred-million-years-and-a-day-by-jean-baptiste-andre... ( )
  gaskella | Aug 6, 2020 |
Wow.
I was so impressed with the writing, especially for a translation from French (or maybe because of?). I had to pause numerous times in reading this book just to absorb the perfection of the words.
A story of obsession, it reeled me in from page one with its beautiful prose but kept me intensely focused with the suspense of the mysterious "dragon" in a mountain cave. The characters were so tangibly human, so broken and scarred, that they breathed from the page.
Just wonderful. ( )
  Gwnfkt12 | Jun 27, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Nothing I write can convey the feeling of this story. It's beautiful, dreamlike, poetic, mystic, poignant, bittersweet, tragic, heartbreaking, vivid, delicate, stoic. And that's in translation (I wish I could read French). I felt excitement, apprehension, dread, fear, hope, grief, compassion, hatred, sadness.

Two distinct parts form this tale, one ascends, one descends. They are very clear. And, like the main character, I, the reader, could not put this aside once I started. One more chapter, one more page, going where I knew I'd inevitably end up but unwilling to stop. It doesn't really go very far, it is highly character-driven and interior, heavily interlaced with flashbacks, but infinitely compelling. Writing like this is an art. This is a painting. I will not forget this one.

Thank you to LibraryThing Early Reviewers, the publisher, the translator & the author. I received my copy free of charge in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  seongeona | Jun 23, 2020 |

Jean-Baptiste Andreaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Maes, GertrudTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woudt, MartineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jean-Baptiste Andrea's book A Hundred Million Years and a Day was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,121,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible