Black Sun

by Rebecca Roanhorse

Series: Between Earth and Sky (1)

"From the New York Times bestselling author of Star Wars: Resistance Reborn comes the first book in the Between Earth and Sky trilogy, inspired by the civilizations of the Pre-Columbian Americas and woven into a tale of celestial prophecies, political intrigue, and forbidden magic. A god will return When the earth and sky converge Under the black sun In the holy city of Tova, the winter solstice is usually a time for celebration and renewal, but this year it coincides with a solar eclipse, a rare celestial event proscribed by the Sun Priest as an unbalancing of the world. Meanwhile, a ship launches from a distant city bound for Tova and set to arrive on the solstice. The captain of the ship, Xiala, is a disgraced Teek whose song can calm the waters around her as easily as it can warp a man's mind. Her ship carries one passenger. Described as harmless, the passenger, Serapio, is a young man, blind, scarred, and cloaked in destiny. As Xiala well knows, when a man is described as harmless, he usually ends up being a villain. Crafted with unforgettable characters, Rebecca Roanhorse has created an epic adventure exploring the decadence of power amidst the weight of history and the struggle of individuals swimming against the confines of society and their broken pasts in the most original series debut of the decade"--… (more)

Some friends selected this as a buddy read because of all the positive hype surrounding its release.
It is definitely likely to appeal to readers of fantasy series who are looking for inclusiveness and a non-Eurocentric perspective. For me, the world-building was excessively convoluted, and the lack of a resolution of any element of the plot at the end of this volume was disappointing. It’s clearly billed as #1 in a series, but for me the whole cliff-hanger concept was overdone. The writing was OK, but certainly not exceptional.

Just to be clear, I have no predisposition again inclusiveness or non-eurocentrism. I simply didn’t find that those features were enough to overcome the other shortcomings of the book for me.

In all fairness, at the end of the day it’s just not my type of book. I usually award a 2 rating to a book that I simply cannot recommend, and in this case that wouldn’t be fair since as I said, at least some readers of this genre are likely to enjoy it. ( )
  BarbKBooks | Aug 15, 2022 |
Gorgeous, heart-breaking, uplifting. Devoured in an entire day. ( )
  HotPinkMess | Jul 31, 2022 |
Series Info/Source: This is the first book in the Between Earth and Sky duology. I borrowed this as an ebook from my library.

Thoughts: Previous to reading this series I had read Roanhorse’s “Trail of Lightening” the first book in The Sixth World series. I thought that book was okay but not great. This book had been getting such rave reviews I decided it would be worth giving Roanhorse another try. Well I ended up stopping this about 20% of the way in, I guess she is just not for me as an author.

This book definitely shows a lot more expertise in world-building. This is a complex world with a complex history. However, I struggled with how many characters were introduced and how the books jumped around in time from chapter to chapter. You end up having to not only keep track of where you are in time (2 days before Convergence, 8 years before Convergence, etc) but also of what character’s POV you are reading from. I get it, it’s epic fantasy but still does it have to be so hard to follow?

I will admit two things off the bat; I am not a huge fan of these religious-drive types of fantasies, even if it is Native American based religion…so I wasn’t really enjoying the subject matter and story. I mean we start the first chapter with a kid getting his skin flayed and his eyes sewn shut in the name of him being a demi-god…it was a bit too yucky for me as well.

Second thing, I was in the mood for an engaging and easy to read story. I am studying to take the patent bar law exam right now and did not want to read a book where I need to physically write down a flow chart of dates, times and characters to follow the story; I just wanted something entertaining and interesting and this was not that book.

I didn’t like any of the characters and didn’t even find them interesting. Part of it was because we are introduced to too many people too rapidly. I kept having to jump back to the front of the book on my Kindle to try to make sense of who was who which was frustrating. I also didn’t like where the plot was going; with the kid being named a demi-god and being pitted against a current religion…just not a huge fan of plots like this. It feels like something I have read before.

My Summary (3/5): Overall this book wasn’t for me and I am a bit perplexed by the high reviews. Yes, there is solid (and overly complex) world building here. However, the story is made overly complicated by all the jumping around in both time and POV and is fairly unkind to the reader. I guess if you are looking for an epic fantasy focused around religious wars that is going to make you work to understand the story, then go for it. I might pick this up at a later date when I am in more of a “difficult epic fantasy” sort of mood. For now I am setting this aside and have decided that I just don’t get along with Roanhorse’s writing style. ( )
  krau0098 | Jun 8, 2022 |
I absolutely loved this book. I listened to this as an audiobook and I'm very glad I did. The narration was excellent.

The story is a culmination of several pre-Columbian myths. The story is told from 4 different points of view, each providing a key element of the society.

Well received for it's inclusivity and representation.

The story is both spiritual and political.

**All thoughts and opinions are my own.** ( )
  The_Literary_Jedi | Apr 30, 2022 |
This was interesting, but not enough to get me to read more of the series, kinda barely 3 stars. The world building was cool, and it was nice to step away from the standard "European fantasy". This was more based on Hispanic/American Indian cultures. There was some strange pronoun stuff going on that was confusing (especially on audio). I thought there were characters named "Sher" and "Shey", but I think they were forms of "her" and "they", I still don't understand their significance.

I liked the count down, as each chapter mentioned how many days until "convergence" (I think that was the word). Kind of added some tension. The characters were decent and the crow guy was really cool.

I liked the audio version having multiple narrators. There was one guy who had a really cool accent. ( )
  ragwaine | Apr 26, 2022 |

Song, JaeCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor-Corbett, ShaunNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For that kid in Texas
who always dreamed in epic
Today he would become a god.

Eclipse is coming
Who will be food for a crow
When convergence comes
(Benona)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,091,189 books! | Top bar: Always visible