The Other Side of the Sky

The Other Side of the Sky (2020)

1064201,593 (4)None
Member:CCJones72
Title:The Other Side of the Sky
Authors:
Info:

The Other Side of the Sky by Amie Kaufman (2020)

More or less the sort of story I expected from these two. Nimh is the Divine One in a world of magic and prophecy. North is a prince in a floating city of science and engineering. Nimh believes the gods fled into the sky thousands of years ago, and North believes no one still lives down on the surface… until he crashes his glider.

I enjoyed this but don’t feel any emotional investment -- yet. (In These Broken Stars the protagonists are alone together for much of the story, so there’s an intense focus on them and their relationship, which is perhaps what made me care so intensely.) I will read the sequel. ( )
  Herenya | Dec 22, 2020 |
Wonderfully woven story from these two authors. Fantastic characters and two well developed different worlds. Two people from different worlds one tech world one magic world and the two struggle with believing in each other. Stuff happens. evil comes, battles happen, lives lost, goddesses lost it's all left on a cliffhanger. This beek spent a lot of time in the magic world I think the next might be more tech world based. I'm really looking forward to continuing with this series ( )
  TheYodamom | Nov 12, 2020 |
Magic and science. Sky and Earth. Boy and girl. Goddess and prince. Destiny and choice. Family and individuality. The Other Side of the Sky, the latest collaboration between Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner, is a fascinating amalgam of all of these. It truly is a fantasy/science fiction mashup in the very literal sense.

One thing that Ms. Kaufman and Ms. Spooner do well is within their character development. With each new piece of information learned or event witnessed, Nimh and North change and grow. Preconceived notions disappear, and these two characters from opposite ways of life start finding their similarities rather than their differences. In this age of seeming intolerance, it is refreshing to see two characters who are anything but.

I don’t often say this, but I wish there was more exposition within The Other Side of the Sky. We have so many questions; almost every scene creates a new one. However, we don’t get nearly enough answers because Nimh and North are constantly on the move with no time for explanations. I get the need to keep readers’ interest, but to me, the sheer number of unanswered questions is frustrating rather than intriguing.

Speaking of action, there is so much of it that it too becomes overwhelming. There appears to be a plot twist within every chapter, which makes for interesting reading. Unfortunately, it also means that there is no chance to just sit and absorb everything. Characters and readers need rest, and there really isn’t any for either.

As a result, The Other Side of the Sky feels slightly manipulative, or, rather, as if it is trying too hard to keep readers engaged for the next volume. Even the cliffhanger ending is less a cliffhanger and more a very obvious ploy to shock readers. There is simply no way what the authors intimate at the end of the novel is really going to come to fruition in the second installment.

Between the numerous unanswered questions, the near-constant plot twists, and an ending that hints at a major misdirection, the whole thing has an air of desperation about it that begs readers to maintain interest over of the course of the series, something that is too obvious and therefore a bit uncomfortable to experience. Sadly, all of this means is that The Other Side of the Sky is not my favorite Kaufman/Spooner collaboration. ( )
  jmchshannon | Sep 16, 2020 |
I've read everything these two have jointly written and not once have I been less than completely satisfied. This book continues that streak with a solidly created world, appealing characters, plenty of action and dandy twists. All of that blended together with one heck of an ending leaving me (and I suspect most other readers) drooling for what comes next. ( )
  sennebec | Sep 11, 2020 |

Amie Kaufmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Spooner, MeaganAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,358,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible