Front Row at the Trump Show by Jonathan Karl

Front Row at the Trump Show (edition 2020)

by Jonathan Karl (Author)

"An account like no other from the White House reporter who has known President Trump for more than 25 years. We have never seen a president like this...norm-breaking, rule-busting, dangerously reckless to some and an overdue force for change to others. One thing is clear: We are witnessing the reshaping of the presidency. Jonathan Karl brings us into the White House in a powerful book unlike any other on the Trump administration. He's known and covered Donald Trump longer than any other White House reporter. With extraordinary access to Trump during the campaign and at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Karl delivers essential new reporting and surprising insights. These are the behind-the-scenes moments that define Trump's presidency--an extraordinary look at the president, the person, and those closest to him. This is the real story of Trump's unlikely rise; of the struggles and battles of those who work in the administration and those who report on it; of the plots and schemes of a senior staff enduring stunning and unprecedented unpredictability. Karl takes us from a TV set turned campaign office to the strange quiet of Trump's White House on Inauguration Day to a high-powered reelection campaign set to change the country's course. He shows us an administration rewriting the role of the president on the fly and a press corps that has never been more vital. Above all, this book is only possible because of the surprisingly open relationship Donald Trump has had with Jonathan Karl, a reporter he has praised, fought, and branded an enemy of the people. This is Front Row at the Trump Show."--… (more)
Member:graps
Title:Front Row at the Trump Show
Authors:Jonathan Karl (Author)
Info:Dutton (2020), 380 pages

Front Row at the Trump Show by Jonathan Karl

Disappointing. Felt like I knew all about each vignette from cable news, NYT, and Washington Post. "Front Row" did not improve my understanding of Trump nor events nor issues in any major way. Overall, the book felt a bit shallow. I think Karl is a very good reporter, and I enjoy hearing his reports on TV, and I like his writing style (a bit chatty), but I won't be getting his November 2021 release. Seen this movie before. ( )
  maneekuhi | Aug 9, 2021 |
"Front Row at the Trump Show", by journalist Jonathan Karl, introduces the reader into what it's been like to be a White House reporter during the Trump Administration. Karl has known and interviewed Donald Trump many times, first writing about the NY real estate mogul some twenty-five years ago, and dealing with him off and on over the years since then.

Having a long-term working relationship with Donald Trump, Karl has good insights into Trump's behaviors and personality. So Karl has a good frame of reference to decipher Trump's words and actions. His behind-the-scenes descriptions of his interactions with the President are insightful, showing how at times, the President can be candid and friendly behind the scenes, and be a completely different person when he takes the stage and plays to the crowd in front of his supporters.

When reading, you get to see how Trump plays his role as master manipulator, and see why Trump continues to meet with reporters from the "fake news" outlets. Trump want to be the story, and often his most outlandish statements, even if knowingly false, gives him the coverage he seeks.

I liked the way Karl explained his relationship with the President. While Trump was frequently critical of Karl and/or the news organization(s) he represented, the book doesn't focus on each personal slight, nor spend all his time trying to criticize each and every policy decision of the President. He spends much more time simple telling his story of what it's like being a reporter covering the President who is so critical of the main stream media.

I also found it interesting in hearing about Karl's other working relationships with and what he had to say about fellow reporters such as CNN's Jim Acosta, and White House Press Secretaries Sean Spicer and Sarah Sanders.
  rsutto22 | Jul 15, 2021 |
I found this book very fair to the President and his Cabinet. I found that this book pointed out flaws with everyone involved even his fellow reporters and even with himself. It was interesting to get a peek behind the curtain to see how the press corps works. ( )
  foof2you | Jan 1, 2021 |

Jonathan Karl brings us into the White House in a powerful book unlike any other on the Trump administration. He’s known and covered Donald Trump longer than any other White House reporter. With extraordinary access to Trump during the campaign and at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Karl delivers essential new reporting and surprising insights.

These are the behind-the-scenes moments that define Trump’s presidency--an extraordinary look at the president, the person, and those closest to him. This is the real story of Trump’s unlikely rise; of the struggles and battles of those who work in the administration and those who report on it; of the plots and schemes of a senior staff enduring stunning and unprecedented unpredictability.

Karl takes us from a TV set turned campaign office to the strange quiet of Trump’s White House on Inauguration Day to a high-powered reelection campaign set to change the country’s course. He shows us an administration rewriting the role of the president on the fly and a press corps that has never been more vital. Above all, this book is only possible because of the surprisingly open relationship Donald Trump has had with Jonathan Karl, a reporter he has praised, fought, and branded an enemy of the people. ( )
  jepeters333 | Dec 12, 2020 |
Veteran chief White House correspondent Jonathan Karl shares his lengthy career as well as his personal history with President Donald Trump is this well-written and highly enjoyable book. Karl stresses the importance of the role of a free press and the importance of reporting the facts without reflecting the reporter's personal beliefs, as well as how important factual information is especially when covering a president who lies continuously. I have read many books on the Trump presidency but found I learned a lot of new information from Karl's work. This is a great read. ( )
  Susan.Macura | Jun 27, 2020 |

Jonathan Karlprimary authorall editionscalculated
Booher, JasonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Resnick, NancyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Maria, Emily, and Anna
I didn't have his phone number, so I dialed the one listed for the Trump Organization.
I arrived at the White House just a few minutes after the new president. (Introduction)
When Donald Trump gave his first political speech in New Hampshire, arriving with fanfare by helicopter, he found a receptive audience.

Contents:
Introduction -- I'd be shocked -- The candidate -- A dark turn -- Mexican gambit -- Four hundred fifty roses -- Black swan -- The days after -- American carnage -- Alternative facts -- Fine-tuned machine -- Enemy of the people -- The enemy within -- No recuse -- Witch hunt -- Two door slams -- Charlottesville -- Meet the new boss -- Mad men -- Truthiness -- Opposition party -- The McCain of it all -- Calling the shots -- No guardrails -- Mad men redux -- Epilogue. -- Contents [pages [vii-viii]].

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,390,156 books! | Top bar: Always visible