The Little Prince

The Little Prince (edition 2000)

Member:Zuzika
Title:The Little Prince
Authors:
Info:Harcourt, Inc., Paperback, 93 pages

The Little Prince by Janez Gradišnik

“All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

FORMAT READ: Paperback
SIMILAR VIBES: A Monster Calls, Bridge to Terabithia

This book turned out to be so much deeper than I expected before I read it. I thought it would be the type of children's novel that was simply 2 sentences per page, but it wasn't.

The message of the story was so well presented that I wondered how come I have not read this before when it seems like everyone around me already has.

And I don't think the most important thing in the book is if the little prince is real because I guess that will always depend on the reader but I think the most important thing is how we choose to represent the people, the objects and the planets into real life. I think I was just bursting the whole time on how good the story is and the book isn't even that long. The quotes, the metaphors made me want to cry out how perfect they were and I don't think I even have the right worshippers to describe reading my feelings the time I read this book.

“It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.”

The clearest message of the story to me, personally, was how it is us who decides and creates the importance of the things in our lives. Like how a random person can end up being your best friend, your most trusted companion. . . but to other people that same person may just be another normal person they pass by every day. It is how much time, care you invest into, not just objects, but people as well.

And I think this is why you should never listen to other people when they say that one think isn't important or one thing doesn't matter. They aren't you and only you can decide what is important to you.

This story is definitely one of those stories that you have to actually read first before you can even begin to understand what I am talking about. So if you have to read this wonderful, wise, entertaining, truthful, gift of a book. . . go on and JUST. READ. IT.

“It is such a mysterious place, the land of tears.”

// disclaimer: this review is probably messed up and has a lot of correction but I just really had the urge to review this book.

Full Review: http://wp.me/p8IxRn-aL ( )
  themoonwholistens | Aug 31, 2020 |
This book changed my perspective on the romanticisation of children and childhood. The book spends a lot of time hating on adults and saying that children are the real wise ones. When I was a child, I didn't want to be. I felt helpless, and I wanted agency over my life. I didn't get along with other children: I didn't understand them and they didn't understand me. All my close friends were adults. I think it is a good thing I didn't read this book as a child. I didn't have the maturity to understand it and it would have made me angry- like it was telling me that I should be happy having no control over my own life.

I think I get it now. Children below a certain age don't have to worry about material things. They cannot provide for themselves, or protect themselves, because they cannot comprehend how to do so. However, as adults, we can let material things distract us from what really matters. Babies don't worry about bills, or jobs, or productivity.

There is a beauty and freedom in letting those things go. It's a balancing act: I can't just quit my life and abdicate all my responsibility. But it is good to be reminded to slow down. The most important things in life cannot be measured. What good are freedom and safety if I don't let myself enjoy them because I am always worrying they will be lost? ( )
  Rachel_Hultz | Aug 15, 2020 |
Okay, I get it. This is cutsy, feel-good, probably nostalgic book but 5 stars?? What's up with everyone?

This was good but also not so much. The thing is, I am constantly searching for something I don't already know in books that try to be philosophical and when they fail to deliver, I feel a great disappointment.
Similar thing happened with The Guide by R.K. Narayan and it is considered a classic, just like this one.

Some good quotes:

Grown-ups never understand anything by themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them.
==========
When a mystery is too overpowering, one dare not disobey.
==========
"Straight ahead of him, nobody can go very far . . ."
==========
"The proof that the little prince existed is that he was charming, that he laughed, and that he was looking for a sheep. If anybody wants a sheep, that is a proof that he exists."
==========
But seeds are invisible. They sleep deep in the heart of the earth's darkness, until some one among them is seized with the desire to awaken. Then this little seed will stretch itself and begin--timidly at first--to push a charming little sprig inoffensively upward toward the sun. If it is only a sprout of radish or the sprig of a rose-bush, one would let it grow wherever it might wish. But when it is a bad plant, one must destroy it as soon as possible, the very first instant that one recognizes it.
==========
"One must require from each one the duty which each one can perform,"
==========
Accepted authority rests first of all on reason.
==========
"It is much more difficult to judge oneself than to judge others. If you succeed in judging yourself rightly, then you are indeed a man of true wisdom."
  AzuraScarlet | Aug 1, 2020 |
So inspirational though knew it would be having read The Alchemist. Love books like this, never let you down. Can bring you back up after a reading slump. ( )
  JoanneCatteral | Jul 13, 2020 |
I knew I would love it because I loved The Alchemist. Just such a beautiful and inspirational story and even the ending, though sad (no spoilers) still retains that wonder that is echoed in the rest of the book. A short read to break me in to the new year! ( )
  Hannah_Hudson | Jul 12, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,696,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible