Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Angel Sanctuary, Bd.3 by Kaori Yuki

Angel Sanctuary, Bd.3 (edition 2001)

by Kaori Yuki

Series: Angel Sanctuary (3)

Despite Setsuna's efforts to deny his love for his sister, he can't allow her to leave the country without letting her know how he feels, but how can she feel about love that borders on incest? She may never live to find out, because an angel has been sent down from heaven just for her-just to make sure that she dies! The two demons from hell, Kurai and Arachne, are still trying to bring out the avenging angel in Setsuna, but first they must deal with the mysterious, seemingly immortal Kira. Even if a way is found to bring the angel Alexiel out of Setsuna, can Tokyo survive the transformation?… (more)
Member:Wolfseisenhut
Title:Angel Sanctuary, Bd.3
Authors:Kaori Yuki
Info:Carlsen (2001), Paperback

Angel Sanctuary, Vol. 03 by Kaori Yuki

3.5 ( )
  LianaH | Apr 4, 2020 |
Angel Sanctuary is a series I wanted very much to love. The art is breathtaking: gothic and detailed.

Kaori Yuki has a way, both artistically and narratively, of inverting our expectations. She makes the beautiful grotesque and the saintly evil. But the story is too complex, has too many layers. At every volume, I felt as though I had to reread all the rest or be hopelessly lost.

I can't capture the plots in one paragraph but let me try. Setsuna is in love with his sister (a little incest is a requirement of all Yuki's work). Their mother, oddly objects. They run off but after a brief happiness, Sara is killed. In his grief, Setsuna destroys the world. Kind of. Because it turns out that Setsuna is the reincarnation of an angel. After that it gets complicated. There are trips to hell, heavenly rebellions, hopeless romances, insane creatures of every allegiance.... The series questions the authority of god and heavenly order. Each character (and there were countless characters) is more twisted and complex than the last. Most fascinated me, none more than Kira, Setsuna's mysterious friend.

Like I said, by all rights I should have loved this series. I love the macabre and I think developed characters make a story. And I did enjoy it but if it had been 3 manga, it might have worked better. Yuki has done much better. ( )
  roguelibrarian | Sep 1, 2009 |
The thought of Setsuna and Sara together makes me... shudder... but i'm hanging on to the hope that there's some reason for their attraction to each other.

One thing I'll give Yuki: she makes non-cliche romantic couples! :D ( )
  wispywillow | Feb 4, 2008 |

Kaori Yukiprimary authorall editionscalculated
JN ProductionsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,493,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible