Just Us: An American Conversation (2020)

by Claudia Rankine

Not sure whether poetry is the right place to shelve this book, which, like Citizen, takes the form of an extended prose meditation on race and power in the United States. Rankine is committed to the idea that we must have uncomfortable conversations with other people in order to understand the truth of how race works, and the conversations in this book are *deeply* uncomfortable. But I can think of no contemporary writer as perceptive about the relays between structural racism and ordinary, everyday prejudice. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jun 24, 2021 |
Despite agreeing with most everything in the book, I never fully engaged with it, and I suspect the distracting format played a part in that. Oddly, the text of the book is printed only on the right-hand page of each two-page spread. The left-hand page is reserved for photos, graphs, fact checks, notes on the text's sources, or, many times, it's just blank. The photos sometimes seemed a bit too random or dull, with a chapter about air travel offering bland shots out a plane window or passengers sitting in airports and another about hair giving way too many close-ups of dyed-blond locks. Still, at a certain point in the book, I found myself anticipating the left page more than the right, with its tantalizing social media posts and the original sources taking me down mental side roads more interesting than the occasionally too deeply introspective and too poetic main narrative. ( )
  villemezbrown | Feb 23, 2021 |
Throughout this year I've read or listened to many different books on race, relationship, history, biases but this book had a bigger impact on me than all those others. The inside cover of the book jacket states, that the author invites us into a necessary conversation about whiteness in America, and indeed that is exactly what the book provided. A black woman married to a white man, with friends from both races, I found her viewpoint unique. She questions reactions, even her own to various experiences, thoughts and as a mother concerned about her daughter and her daughter's future. She made me think, see things I've never even thought implied racism and shows how complicated and twisted, the racial divide is, once again rearing it's ugly head under the current administration. Or more likely it's always been there but now once again brought into the open.

She is a professor of poetry at Yale and this books style is telling as it reads sometimes like poetry. It includes a poem, illustrations, examples, some history and a chapter on blondness that I found fascinating. She doesn't lecture, her purpose is to make us question what we take for granted, what we see and don't see and I felt this, at least for me, is what she accomplished. A special, eye opening book, one I hope many read. ( )
1 vote Beamis12 | Dec 21, 2020 |
Poems, photos and prose about whiteness and related topics. “notes on the state of whiteness” reproduces portions of an edition of Jefferson’s Notes on the State of Virginia, with text not about Blacks removed. It’s powerful. A lot of the prose touches on various ways in which whiteness enables not having to see, and thus not seeing or remembering, both overt racist violence and racist structures. Rankine deeply interrogates her own reactions as a means of interrogating the world’s. ( )
1 vote rivkat | Sep 1, 2020 |

Claudia Rankineprimary authorall editionscalculated
Edwards, JaninaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You go down there looking for justice, that's what you find, just us. - Richard Pryor
For Us
What does it mean to want
an age-old call
for change
not to change

and yet, also,
to feel bullied
by the call to change?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,394,578 books! | Top bar: Always visible