This time next year we'll be laughing :…

This time next year we'll be laughing : a memoir (edition 2020)

by Jacqueline Winspear

Member:GeniAus.
Title:This time next year we'll be laughing : a memoir
Authors:Jacqueline Winspear
Info:New York, NY : Soho, [2020]
Collections:Your library, Books I've Read, eBooks
Rating:***1/2
Tags:21st Century, Memoir, Authors, Relationships, Read 2021, eBook, Poverty, Non-Fiction, Kent (England)

This Time Next Year We'll Be Laughing by Jacqueline Winspear

This audiobook (read by the author) was a lovely look into the life of Ms. Winspear. It explains her knowledge of hop picking, gypsies, shell shock, etc. that are an integral part of her "Maisie Dobbs" mystery series.
I would love to know more about her life as a writer, etc. in the USA. ( )
  yukon92 | Jul 28, 2021 |
I truly enjoy Jacqueline Winspear's fiction, so was looking forward to reading this memoir. However, I only know her a a writer, so somewhat disappointed the she devoted about 80% of the memoir to childhood memories, many second-hand "...traveling back and forth across the years before my birth". ( )
  MM_Jones | Apr 24, 2021 |
As a stand alone memoir, this is a very good one. As the memoir of Jacqueline Winspear, author of the marvelous Maisie Dobbs series, it is absolutely fascinating. Winspear is a talented storyteller and does not miss a beat in the telling of her own life story. Born into a living and very poor family, her young life was full of hardship and challenges. I was completely rapt as she shared the ups and downs of her family. Talk about resilience!! Do yourself a favor and read this one! ( )
  hemlokgang | Apr 2, 2021 |
I have read and enjoyed all 15 (so far) of Winspear's Maisie Dobbs novels, so I couldn't wait to read this memoir. It was different than I anticipated, as she spent quite a bit of time describing her parents and their relationship with each other as well as with her. But of course she was shaped by her parents so this actually was a way for the reader to learn about her. After finishing the book, I felt that the memoir was also a therapeutic outlet for Winspear, a form of healing from her mother's cruel treatment of her.

I enjoyed recognizing the references to several of her family's experiences which she has used in her novels. In addition, the descriptions of her large extended family and especially her relationship with her parents were revealing in creating this personal self-portrait.

The memoir is not written in a linear format, as it alternates throughout the book in the timeframe of both past and present. But I think this is just the way she wanted to tell her story. At the conclusion she writes, "This memoir is a glimpse at a certain place and a certain time, traveling back and forth across the years before my birth and lingering upon the stopping places of a country childhood that framed who I might become." There were times I felt Winspear could have provided more depth and personal expression, so for that reason I am rating it three stars. ( )
  PhyllisReads | Mar 20, 2021 |
Pandemic read. Overall, enjoyed this book, for the very different slice of life it brought into my world for someone just a few years older than I am. Also the writing flow was different than Maisie, but you could see the roots of some things in the stories, especially war based stuff. I even shared some stories with Javaczuk, and he was intrigued. ( )
  bookczuk | Feb 10, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,240,543 books! | Top bar: Always visible