Arrr! Pirate Flag(Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day) Thar be a hunt for treasure, Mateys!

The dark half by Stephen King

The dark half (original 1989; edition 2011)

by Stephen King

Member:AC.Belgrade
Title:The dark half
Authors:Stephen King
Info:London : Hodder, 2011.

The Dark Half by Stephen King (1989)

Dead City by Shane Stevens (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: In his afterward to The Dark Half, King explains that he took the character of Alexis Machine from Stevens' Dead City
    The Outsider by Stephen King (ghr4)
    A Soul to Steal by Rob Blackwell (Othemts)
    The Crime Writer by Gregg Hurwitz (VictoriaPL)
    VictoriaPL: Another writer who has trouble figuring out if he's involved in a series of murders or not.

English (50)  French (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (54)
Obwohl ich mich anfänglich etwas schwer tat, ins Buch reinzukommen, wollte ich es doch am Ende nicht mehr aus der Hand legen, denn wie bekämpft man eine zum Leben erweckte Romanfigur? Und wie macht man den Behörden klar, dass es den Mörder eigentlich so nicht gibt er aber trotzdem einen nach den anderen umbringt, ohne, dass man für verrückt gehalten wird? King hat mit Thad Beaumont einen sympathischen Charakter erschaffen, dem und dessen Familie man einfach nichts böses wünscht, allerdings ist das auch alles, was ich über Thad sagen kann. Er bleibt relativ farblos und uninteressant. Wesentlich interessanter fand ich da den Sheriff und George Stark, dessen Verfall abstoßend und faszinierend zugleich ist. Die Symbolik mit den Sperlingen hat mir gut gefallen, wobei es schon etwas gruselig war, dass ein Schwarm dieser kleinen Vögel doch so beängstigend sein kann. Abgesehen davon war Stark selbst ausreichend Horror.

Fazit
Trotz des anfänglich viel zu langsamen Tempos hat mir Stark spätestens ab der zweiten Hälfte richtig gut gefallen und auch wenn Thad Beaumont auf den letzten paar Seiten so richtig an Fahrt gewonnen hat, so war doch Sheriff Pangborn mein heimlicher Held. ( )
  Powerschnute | Mar 21, 2019 |
Stephen King is addictive, all the same though I didn't intend to read another by him so hard on the heels of 'Cujo'. I was in the mood for another horror or thriller, but I overestimated the collection of the library. Fair Warning: This is mostly nonreview buildup.

My village library is a subset of a community center built in the 1920s, limited space, and the fact that it serves such a small population makes it hyper-focused. I started interning at the public library in the next town in high school so, other than chitchat visits with the librarian, I stopped coming in and forgotten just how specialized this library was.

The new librarian (she'll always be the new librarian just like Alan Pangborn in 'The Dark Half' will always be the new sheriff) didn't have any reccomendations for horror that wasn't Stephen King off the top of her head, but gave me a few authors to look for, after consulting the card catalog. So I went downstairs (claims on space have led to fiction being kept in the basement room where I once had Bear Scout meetings) and looked over the titles.

The bulk were cozy mysteries or neon-lit suspenses featuring Hattie Spinster or Inspector Jabberjowl in their 19th and 23rd respective appearances. I merely judged them by their covers and inside flaps, obviously, I couldn't be bothered to remember the authors or their characters' names. Scanning the spines on the shelves led me to more of the same kind interfiled with the various literary and genre classics the library has held onto.

One of the separate shelves held all of Stephen King's books.

"Fine, book-gods, I'll read more Stephen King."

This one started as strongly as any King book I've ever read. Thad Beaumont's childhood operation and the later emergence of George Stark were gruesome and clever. Way to go 'People', you really screwed up this time. As the book went on, though I just wasn't convinced by Thad or his relationship with his wife. Other reviewers have mentioned the dialogue, which did not help either. I think King got caught up in describing and dramatizing his experience writing under another name and left actual characterization aside.

But pages flew even as I was being critical, so I'm happy. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
A writer’s alter ego comes to life and begins murdering people close to him. ( )
  sturlington | Nov 15, 2018 |
I like scary stories. But I don't like gory ones or foul language. I thought about giving this book 2 stars but King is a good writer and he made me care about his characters enough to finish the book. Thad, Liz, their twins William and Wendy, his fellow professor ( I forget his name), and Sheriff Pangborn were all interesting, likeable people and I had to finish the book to find out if they survived. So I skimmed over the gore and tried to ignore the villain's foul language. I much preferred the 2 only other Stephen King books I've read, The Shining and Misery. ( )
  library_gal | Aug 20, 2018 |
Stephen King enjoyed publishing under the pseudonym Richard Bachman, until someone figured it out and threatened to expose him. So, SK outed himself and wrote a book loosely based on his experiences.
Thad is a writer living in Maine, married with twins. For years he's written under a pseudonym, and he's about to be exposed, so his agent suggests they beat the guy to the punch and do a whole big media thing about it, which Thad does. He buries "George Stark" in a cemetery, takes pictures for the magazines, and washes his hands of the whole thing.
But then Stark comes to life and starts murdering people. Of course the police think Thad did it, since they have his fingerprints all over the scene of the crimes. I will never, ever forget the parasitic twin operation, when I first read that bit as a young teenager it scared the bejeezus out of me. ( )
  bekkil1977 | Feb 10, 2018 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Cut him," Machine said, "Cut him while I stand here and watch. I want to see the blood flow. Don't make me tell you twice."

-- Machine's Way

by George Stark
This book is for Shirley Sonderegger, who helps me mind my business, and for her husband, Peter.
AUTHOR'S NOTE I'm indebted to the late Richard Bachman for his help and inspiration. This novel cound not have been written without him. S.K.
People's lives -- their real lives, as opposed to their simple physical existences -- begin at different times.

Thad Beaumont would like to say he is innocent. He'd like to say he has nothing to do with the series of monstrous murders that keep coming closer to his home. He'd like to say he has nothing to do with the twisted imagination that produced his bestselling novels. He'd like to say he has nothing to do with the voice on the phone uttering its obscene threats and demanding total surrender. But how can Thad disown the ultimate embodiment of evil that goes by the name he gave it - and signs its crimes with Thad's bloody fingerprints? (0-451-16731-7)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451167317, Mass Market Paperback)

In 1985, 39-year-old Stephen King announced in public that his pseudonymous alter ego, Richard Bachman, was dead. (Never mind that he revived him years later to write The Regulators.) At the beginning of The Dark Half (1989), 39-year-old writer Thad Beaumont announces in public that his own pseudonym, George Stark, is dead.

Now, King didn't want to jettison the Bachman novel, titled Machine Dreams, that was he working on. So he incorporated it in The Dark Half as the crime oeuvre of George Stark, whose recurring hero/alter ego is an evil character named Alexis Machine.

Thad Beaumont's pseudonym is not so docile as Stephen King's, though, and George Stark bursts forth into reality. At that point, two stories kick into gear: a mystery-detective story about the crime spree of George Stark (or is it Alexis Machine?) and a horror story about Beaumont's struggle to catch up with his doppelganger and kill him dead.

This is not the first time that Stephen King has written a dark allegory about the fiction writer's situation. As the New York Times writes, "Misery (1987) is a parable in chiller form of the popular writer's relation to his audience, which holds him prisoner and dictates what he writes, on pain of death. The Dark Half is a parable in chiller form of the popular writer's relation to his creative genius, the vampire within him, the part of him that only awakes to raise Cain when he writes, the fratricidal twin who occupies 'the womblike dungeon' of his imagination." --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:36 -0400)

Creating George Stark was easy. Getting rid of him won't be . . .The sparrows are flying again. The idea - unbidden, inexplicable - haunts the edge of Thad Beaumont's mind.Thad should be happy. For years now it is his secret persona 'George Stark', author of super-violent pulp thrillers, who has paid the family bills.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,096,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible