Phosphorescence

Phosphorescence

A beautiful, intimate and inspiring investigation into how we can find and nurture within ourselves that essential quality of internal happiness ? the 'light within' that Julia Baird calls 'phosphorescence' ? which will sustain us even through the darkest times. Over the last decade, we have become better at knowing what brings us contentment, well-being and joy. We know, for example, that there are a few core truths to the science of happiness. We know that being kind and altruistic makes us happy, that turning off devices, talking to people, forging relationships, living with meaning and delving into the concerns of others offer our best chance at achieving happiness. But how do we retain happiness? It often slips out of our hands as quickly as we find it. So, when we are exposed to, or learn, good things, how do we continue to burn with them? And more than that, when our world goes dark, when we're overwhelmed by illness or heartbreak, loss or pain, how do we survive, stay alive or even bloom? In the muck and grit of a daily existence full of disappointments and a disturbing lack of control over many of the things that matter most - finite relationships, fragile health, fraying economies, a planet in peril ? how do we find, nurture and carry our own inner, living light ? a light to ward off the darkness?… (more)
Member:CCJones72
Title:Phosphorescence
Authors:
Info:

Phosphorescence by Julia Baird (Author)

A beautiful, and beautifully written book that is part memoir, philosophy, rallying cry and manual for self-care. Wise with righteousness, terrific depth presented lightly and totally enjoyable. ( )
  tandah | Jul 25, 2021 |
I loved this book, although life wields a brutal sword at times, Phosphorescence inspired me to look for the silver linings, to be amazed by nature and to seek help when most in need. The importance of awe, solitude, silence, friendship, gratitude and so much more are contemplated in this lovely read. ( )
  PriscillaM | Oct 7, 2020 |
I get what she is trying to tell us - be mindful, enjoy nature, keep friendships, find awe and wonder, get through dark times
Well researched and written.
Would love to see phosphorescence! ( )
  siri51 | Jul 14, 2020 |
A lovely book of bits and pieces. Part memoir. Part philosophy. Part faith. Part science. And it all hangs together because every page is sparked from Julia's life and world. A book to read reflectively, even as devotion. ( )
  PhilipJHunt | Jun 15, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,560,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible