Count Zero by William Gibson

Count Zero (original 1986; edition 1987)

by William Gibson (Author)

Series: Sprawl (2)

A stylish, street smart, frighteningly probable parable of the future from the visionary, New York Times bestselling author of Neuromancer and Agency. A corporate mercenary wakes in a reconstructed body, a beautiful woman by his side. Then Hosaka Corporation reactivates him, for a mission more dangerous than the one he's recovering from: to get a defecting chief of R&D--and the biochip he's perfected--out intact. But this proves to be of supreme interest to certain other parties--some of whom aren't remotely human...… (more)
Member:shotwell.librarium
Title:Count Zero
Authors:William Gibson (Author)
Info:Penguin Publishing Group (1987), 272 pages
Collections:Study

Count Zero by William Gibson (1986)

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (thebookpile)
    Walkaway: A Novel by Cory Doctorow (tetrachromat)
    tetrachromat: Interesting ideas on how the super rich might spend their money.
    When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger (amweb)

English (47)  Romanian (1)  Catalan (1)  Polish (1)  All languages (50)
I really enjoyed Neuromancer but I'm afraid I abandoned this about a quarter of the way through. Turgid and dull and felt like word salad at times. I'm obviously out of step with the majority who see this as great literature but for me the emperor has no clothes and it's just not worth the effort. I'm now in my sixties and with less and less time to read books I have to decide what not to read - and this is one. ( )
1 vote RussellCross | Mar 20, 2021 |
Coming back to this years later, and it's...

*shrugs*

First time I read it, it was like looking in on an alien culture. Now, it's like looking in on an alien culture looking in on an alien culture. An excellent read, but as much so for the disconnect from when it was written as for the future it projects. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
On one hand, it was a lot easier to follow than Neuromancer - on the other hand, I don't think it was written as well as Neuromancer. ( )
  skolastic | Feb 2, 2021 |
Very solid followup and a bit easier to follow than Neuromancer. Prescient on the influence of the megacorps and there's more than a little preview of Hubertus Bigend/Cayce Pollard in Josef Virek/Marly here. The voodoo thing is a little bit inscrutable, but then again, it's Gibson, so that's likely the idea. ( )
  goliathonline | Jul 7, 2020 |

Quiero hacer contigo
lo que la primavera
hace con los cerezos
-- Neruda
COUNT ZERO INTERRUPT - on receiving an interrupt, decrement the counter to zero.
For my D
They set a slamhound on Turner's trail in New Delhi, slotted it to his pheromones and the color of his hair.
"The street tries to find its own uses for things, Mr Turner." [Chiba medic: 69]
As she walked from the Louvre, she seemed to sense some articulated structure shifting to accommodate her course through the city. The waiter would be merely a part of the thing, one limb, a probe or palp. The whole would be larger, much larger. How could she have imagined that it would be possible to live, to move, in the unnatural field of Virek's wealth without suffering distortion? Virek had taken her up, in all her misery, and had rotated her through all the monstrous, invisible stresses of his money, and she had been changed. Of course, she thought, of course: It moves around me constantly, watchful and invisible, the vast and subtle mechanism of Herr Virek's surveillance. [Marly: 73]

Count Zero's world of the Sprawl is closer to the connected world of today than Gibson's earlier work Neuromancer.
Count Zero, hacker
Hung out lots in cyberspace
It was newly formed
(pickupsticks)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,372,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible