The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes by Bill…

The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes (1992)

by Bill Watterson

There is something mystical about childhood, something that makes it impossible for us adults to overcome it fully. Calvin and Hobbes captures the magic of childhood and helps us return to it. We are there to witness Cavlin's cardboard-box adventures, we experience his impatience while waiting for his propeller beanie to arrive, and we sympathize with his angst regarding bedtimes and homework.

There are some things about life that even adults don't understand though, things that as a child you assumed you would understand some day but in reality had a better handle on when you were a child, without prejudice and worldly knowledge getting in the way.

But in the end, Calvin and Hobbes bring back the simplicity of childhood, taking you back into a world where ultimate happiness can be achieved by digging in the dirt or taking pictures of plastic dinosaurs.

Calvin and Hobbes is more than just a comic book; it's a reminder of how magical life is in a child's world. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 3, 2016 |
The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes is a good book for second graders. This book is about Calvin, a six-year old boy who hates school and his classmate Susie Derkins, and his stuffed tiger Hobbes. Calvin wants to have a good summer, so he watches tv and stays inside to play dart gun with Hobbes. When Calvin's parents say he can't watch tv, he goes over to Susie's and asks if he can watch tv there. She says, "Sure. Come in. It's a commercial," so Calvin stays there for a few hours and then goes outside and plays baseball with Hobbes. After that, they play football. In the middle of summer Calvin and his family go camping near the lake, and Calvin jumps in the water and catches a big fish. When he comes out, Calvin pretends he's Tarzan and swings from a vine. He puts his toes in the water and realizes the water is really cold, so he swings back on the vine and is very scared. Overall, Calvin has a very good summer getting revenge on Susie, building a club called Gross, getting rid of "slimy girls," and having a good time with Hobbes.

I thought this book was stupendous because Calvin is always trying to have a good time. I can relate to this book because I always try to find people to play with and I like to read comic books, just like Calvin.
  Nolanhahn | Jun 16, 2014 |
Calvin and Hobbes in some ways fall into the same category as Joni Mitchell and geology: why didn't anyone tell me about them when I was little? Why didn't I go looking for them? How was I to know such things could possibly exist? ( )
  amelish | Sep 12, 2013 |
wisdom from the mouths of precocious babes (yeah, I know, really from some dude), hilarious, *love* all C&H collections ( )
  EhEh | Apr 3, 2013 |
I loved this as a kid. It was always a great way to get a quick laugh. I would love to use it as a teacher. ( )
  pam.enser | Apr 1, 2013 |
I made a big decision a little while ago.

Calvin, the six-year-old dirty tricksmeister and master of indignation and his warm, cuddly philosopher sidekick and Hobbes, a tiger whose idea of adventure is to lie on his back by the fire and have his stomach rubbed. This unlikely due captured the hearts, the minds, and, most of all, the funny bones of America. The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes contains a full-color section, as well as the cartoons appearing in The Revenge of the Baby-Sat and Scientific Progress Goes "Boink." All Sunday cartoons are presented full-page and full-color.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:34 -0400)

A selection of cartoons from the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes," in which Calvin goes to the beach, watches a sunset with his father, and seeks revenge on his baby-sitter.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,178,431 books! | Top bar: Always visible