The Maidens by Alex Michaelides

The Maidens (edition 2021)

by Alex Michaelides (Author)

19719105,743 (3.77)2
Member:jen.s
Title:The Maidens
Authors:Alex Michaelides (Author)
Info:Celadon Books (2021), 352 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Maidens by Alex Michaelides

The Silent Patient had been one of my most favorite thrillers and was not expecting anything less from The Maidens. However, this proved to be a rather disappointing read for me.

Firstly, it was fast-paced, which made me get done with it quickly. However, despite the twists and turns, the characters, especially Mariana's was rather frustrating and annoying. Her indecisiveness and lack of consistency infuriated me. Same goes for the rest of the characters, i.e. Professor Fosca turned out to be such a weird character who I did not understand at all. I would have preferred if his intellectual self would have remained rather than portraying him as a creep for the sake of proving Mariana correct.

I genuinely loved all the references made to the Greek mythology and how it was all intertwined. My concern is the suspense. So awkward and so eerie. I had suspected the culprit all along (because it was just so obvious) but the addition of their accomplice and the motive was uncomfortable for me. A better motivation or background was needed.

Despite its flaws, it is a quick, one-time read. You may question it but you'd enjoy some instances i.e. the connection drawn between The Silent Patient and The Maidens. It was interesting how Mariana and Theo's stories were linked as if The Maidens was a prequel. ( )
  sanyazulfiqarmithani | Jun 19, 2021 |
The Maidens is Alex Michaelides highly anticipated second novel. This would have possibly been 5 stars for me, but I just didn't like Mariana, the main character.
I thought the mystery itself was interesting, as well as the clues left in various places, but there was something that just didn't sit right with the clues and where they were pointing me. I knew there was something else there, but just didn't know what it was.
The reveal was surprising, but not altogether a big shock. There were various clues to the reveal.
I didn't understand the need for Henry in the story. Perhaps that was to be a diversion.
I did enjoy learning about Greek mythology, as I don't really have much background in it. I also liked learning a little about Cambridge and the area.
I will look forward to reading the next book from this author, as this novel kept my interest. I loved the short chapters!
#BookishFirst #TheMaidens #NetGalley #CeladonBooks ( )
  rmarcin | Jun 18, 2021 |
You had me at "Greek mythology, murder, and obsession". Yes, I want to read this!
I could just feel the all consuming tenacity of Mariana in the prologue. Atmospheric with a level of tension looming, this story has suspense building from page one. The flawlessly poetic writing drew me in immediately and I did not want to stop reading!
Set in the vividly described Cambridge University, this story takes you to a place of privilege and beauty. But, also a place of murder and an overwhelming sense of dread. The plot twists and turns as a modern day Greek Tragedy plays out.
After inserting herself into the investigation, the protagonist (Mariana) becomes increasingly unreliable. When her concerns are seemingly dismissed by law enforcement, she conducts her own investigation and becomes plagued by fear and paranoia at what is happening around her. As the multi-layered plot unfolds, Mariana is forced to come to terms with more than just finding a killer.
Intriguing, thrilling and dark, this fast paced story held my attention to the end. But there were a couple characters who I felt could've had more development, and some loose ends were left. This is the first book I've read by this author, so maybe they're from the author's previous novel? Or will be picked up in a next book?
*Thank you Celadon Books, Alex Michaelides and BookishFirst for the opportunity to read the ARC in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  Penny_L | Jun 14, 2021 |
Mariana, a group therapist in London, is grieving the accidental death of her husband Sebastian which happened a year ago. She receives a frantic call from her niece, Zoe, who is a student at Cambridge University, where, years ago, Mariana had met Sebastian. Zoe's close friend Tara has been brutally murdered. Tara was a member of a secret society of beautiful and privileged young women called The Maidens, cultivated by Greek tragedy professor, Edward Fosca. Mariana travels to Cambridge to support her niece. Soon after, another female student is murdered. Zoe confesses to Mariana that Tara had expressed a fear that Fosca was going to kill her. Mariana becomes obsessed with solving the murders and investigating Fosca.
The Maidens has a host of interesting characters and multiple suspects. The Cambridge University setting with its old buildings, makes for a dark, creepy, atmospheric setting. Themes of Greek mythology and tragedy are interspersed and add to the darkness in the story. The ending has a huge twist which I did not predict. The Maidens is a well-written, enjoyable, compulsively readable novel of psychological suspense. @CeladonBooks #TheMaidens #Partner #CeladonReads #BookishFirst ( )
  PennyOlson | Jun 13, 2021 |
Mariana is a group therapist. When her niece calls her about a death at her college, Mariana leaves at once to help Zoe. Mariana immediately focuses on a brilliant Greek mythology professor, Fosca. She knows he is the killer but can she prove it!

Mariana is a unique character. I was drawn to her inhibitions and her strengths. Throw in the Greek mythology and the tragic murders and you have an enthralling tale. I was glued from start to finish.

This is narrated by two different voices, Kobna Holbrook-Smith and Louise Brealey. These two narrators are some of the best in the business. They are the right amount of excitement and emotion!

Alex Michaelides has done it again! This story is captivating, intriguing and unstoppable! It twists and turns until all your suspects are cleared…then what?!? You will have to read this to find out!

Need a good dark thriller….THIS IS IT! Grab your copy today!

I received this audiobook from the publisher for a honest review. ( )
  fredreeca | Jun 13, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,063,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible