One Time by Sharon Creech

One Time (edition 2020)

by Sharon Creech (Author)

Thank you Edelweiss for the ARC!

As a teacher who teaches writing, I loved this as it gave me loads of ideas! However, I wonder how much a kid would like it. It doesn't have a typical story structure, no problem arc. Rather, it has short atmospheric snippets of chapters full of self-discovery and internal musings. It worked for me, but I'd be keen to hear from kid readers what they thought. ( )
  RachellErnst | Jan 5, 2021 |
Gina doesn’t fit in, probably because she has an excellent imagination.
A new teacher arrives at her school and Wednesdays are...silent day?
In Gina’s neighborhood, a boy who sees strange things and is always smiling moves in next door.
A new English teacher, a new neighbor and too much pasta makes for a great book about discovering who you really are.
I loved this book. ( )
  ShannonRose4 | Sep 15, 2020 |
Gina doesn’t fit in, probably because she has an excellent imagination.
A new teacher arrives at her school and Wednesdays are...silent day?
I loved this book. ( )
  ShannonRose4 | Sep 15, 2020 |
Beautifully written with lots of practical writing advice. Inspiring for writers young and old. The book seems semi-autobiographical to me. ( )
  bookwren | Sep 13, 2020 |
Engrossing, lovely story about communicating and making connections through writing, as told by a young girl who enjoys the eccentricity of those around her. ( )
  Perednia | Sep 6, 2020 |
Tell me, what is it you plant to do

with your one wild and precious life?

-Mary Oliver
To all the Stretchberrys and Lightstones who light the way
I wonder about you: who are you?
Sometimes teachers think I am not paying attention, but what they mean is that I am not paying attention to them. I pay attention to lots of other things like what is happening outside the windows, and the noises in the room like the humming and the tapping and the snapping and the sniffling, and all the smells ... (p. 1-2)
Mangata, a Swedish word meaning the path-like reflection of the moon over water. (p. 73)
See the way the sun comes through the leaves? That filtered light coming through - that's komorebi. [of Japanese origin] (p. 96)
Experiment: Choose a word from the word list - any random word - and write down anything that comes to mind, maybe something the words reminds you of or something you imagine.

Write very fast, jotting down whatever pops into your head. Don't stop to correct spelling or think. Just keep going and going, even if you have to write, 'I'm stuck, I'm stuck, I'm stuck.' I'll time you. Five minutes. This. Is. Not. Graded."

Miss Lightstone sat at her desk, with her own pencil poised. "I'll do it, too. Remember, don't stop writing. Just capture anything that pops into your head - or your pencil." (p. 104-05)
And what if 'What could you be?' didn't have anything at all to do with your job? What if it means what kind of person you would be and what contributions you could or would make to the wider world around you?

I looked around the room. Why couldn't we all do noble things, important thhings? Why wouldn't we?

Why wouldn't I? (p. 125)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,172,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible