The Attic Tragedy by J Ashley-Smith

The Attic Tragedy (original 2020; edition 2020)

by J Ashley-Smith (Author)

Member:marysneedle
Title:The Attic Tragedy
Authors:J Ashley-Smith (Author)
Info:Meerkat Shorts, LLC (2020), 68 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy

The Attic Tragedy by (2020)

George, an unpopular, chubby girl, struggles with her gender, social identity, and sexuality. When she meets Sylvie, she is instantly attracted to her odd and peculiar personality. After standing up for Sylvie, and beating back the bullies, they are drawn together.

This was a novella, and I felt that it did not have enough details to make the story interesting. Sylvie felt like a half formed character. She had possibility, but it was never really fully developed. The story hinted at things, but that was all. It felt like nothing really happened. Overall, a bust. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Oct 14, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Disclaimer: I received this book for free in return for an honest review.

Sylvie is the new girl in town and she is unlike anyone George has ever met. One day while working in the school library George sees Sylvie get in trouble with Tommy Payne and his gang. She runs out and defends Sylvie against the boys cementing their new found friendship. They grow closer, though not as close as George would like, in the attic of the antique shop Sylvie's father owns. Sylvie has an unique gift, when she touches an object she can sense its history from its "ghosts". Meanwhile George doesn't feel at home in her body and is hiding her own secret. As time goes on the two friends grow up while apart while growing closer to a tragedy.

This story was a quick read at only 66 pages. I felt like it could have been longer because I was left with several unanswered questions. Overall it was an interesting story and I enjoyed it. ( )
  RebeccaLMello | Aug 1, 2020 |
Odd, disturbing, well written, novella regarding self identity. Features some strong triggers for those of likely to be effected by those themes. Sort of a YA finding yourself story. ( )
  reading_fox | Jul 17, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
How could you sum up a life – a whole life – with just a few words? How could you even try?

There’s a new girl in town, Sylvie, and she is not like everyone else. George (Georgina) watches her around the school, fascinated… After an unfortunate incident they become friends. But George wants more than the friendship Sylvie can offer.
In the attic of Sylvie’s father’s antique shop, between the ghosts and hidden gems of other people’s previous lives, their friendship grows. But will that be enough…

This was not the story I thought it would be, it was something much better. It is difficult to put my thoughts and feelings here to paper (or better said, screen). I have read it a month ago and still have trouble explaining other than to say it is a beautiful story. It is very well written and in its beauty there’s also a little sadness. However, it is a sadness that will leave you with a warm, soft feeling.

*Thanks to Meerkat Press for the digital copy of this book in exchange for my honest feedback. ( )
  OphelieDepoortere | Jun 28, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

I do not usually go out of my way to read dark fiction but I must confess The Attic Tragedy had me not wanting to put the book down.

This story is a tragedy, yet it opens the readers eyes to topics we may not deal with in our day to day lives. Potential readers should be warned some of the topics it covers are rape, self-harm, school bullying, depression, rape, lesbianism, and suicide. There is also mention of drugs and assault. That sounds heavy and it is, but the author has written the story in such a way it helps us understand not recoil.

The other point potential readers should be aware of is the indication of a supernatural feel about the story with the description of Sylvie’s gift in the precis. When she touches an object in her father’s antique shop she can feel the history of the item. Sadly, this aspect doesn’t really develop, and it is what attracted me to the story in the first place.

It is also a story of unrequited love and how the relationships in our friendships can change over time.

George is overweight, friendless, and bullied. She is a sad girl lacking self-respect and self-confidence. Sylvie is the new girl at school. Their friendship begins when George saves Sylvie from being sexually assaulted.

The tables are turned when Sylvie rescues George from an assault by the boys who had first attacked her.

For George, the friendship develops into love for Sylvie; an unrequited love.

Sylvie moves away to attend university while George works in the antique shop waiting for Sylvie’s return. When that finally happens, things are not the same and George is heartbroken.

Overall, it is a very emotional story. The heart wrenching topics are not always pleasant to read about but we can’t put our heads in the sand. They do exist and I for one feel more empathy to sufferers.

A tough read but still rated at 4* ( )
  Hostie13 | Jun 19, 2020 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

's book The Attic Tragedy is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,664,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible