The Secret Servant (2007)

by Daniel Silva

Series: Gabriel Allon (7)

Gabriel Allon, master art restorer and officer of Israeli intelligence, is summoned to travel to Amsterdam to purge the archives of a murdered Dutch terrorism analyst, where he uncovers a conspiracy of terror festering in the city's Islamic underground.

Gabriel Allon, who is now characterized as "... the legendary but wayward son of Israeli intelligence, is sent to the Netherlands by Ari Shamron to gather the papers of assassinated agent, Professor Solomon Rosner. While there he falls upon information suggesting a terrorist attack in London. An impression left on a yellow pad by one of the terrorist leads him to believe that the attack will include the American Embassy in Grosvenor Square. Allon notifies his CIA friend, Adrian Carter and Graham Seymour of MI5 and is present when the attack goes down. He is able to kill several of the attackers but is not able to prevent the abduction of Dr. Elizabeth Halton, the daughter of the American ambassador.
Silva's novel usually include some connection to the current events of the years in which they are written. This novel's terrorists are Egyptians attempting to eliminate the secular leadership of their country and replace it with an Islamic state. Appropriately, the leader of the terrorist is Dr. Yusuf Ramadan, professor of Near Eastern history at American University in Cairo who is known as the Sphinx.
Allon teams up with Adrian Carter, of the CIA who provides him with an assistant, Sarah Bancroft whom we met in The Messenger: "She had shoulder-length blond hair, skin the color of alabaster, and eyes like a cloudless summer sky." Of course, we know that Gabriel is faithful to only Chiara whom he is to marry in May and his mentally incapacitated ex-wife, Leah.
In a violent and fast moving attempt to find Elizabeth, Gabriel Allon lives up to his "legionary" status and then some.
  RonWelton | Sep 2, 2021 |
Gabriel Allon returns from restoring another painting for the Pope and is pulled into service to purge the papers of a murdered Dutch terrorism analyst who was also an asset of Israeli intelligence in Amsterdam. While looking through them, he finds that a terrorist group out of Egypt is about to commit an atrocity. After investigating, he thinks something will happen in Hyde Park in London. He is just a bit too late and the US ambassador to London's daughter (Elizabeth Halton) is kidnapped. The rest of the book details how Gabriel goes about getting her back from a terrorist plot engineered by The Sphinx. ( )
  baughga | Aug 27, 2021 |
Fiction
  hpryor | Aug 8, 2021 |
I thought the first 80 pages were really boring but it got better after that ( )
  Jeff_Simms | Jun 9, 2021 |
This book I had a lot of years on my shelves unread. Simultaneously, I reorganized a little my shelves and decided to put it upfront so when I am in the mood for something, the genre mystery, crime, and the political situation in the Middle East or even the world.
Even though the book is the seventh of the series, you can read them out of order. I want to start the series in order because there are parts that Daniel Silva refers to, and I don't understand. I love the writing of Daniel Silva because he mixes facts with fiction in an extraordinary way; the book flies by even though its complexity.
These books are so current with all the situations with ISS, "Arab Spring," and everything that happens in the Middle East and the world.
If you want something different with many action, friendships, secret bureaus, and politics, this book and series are for you.
It is an excellent read for me. I don't write anything about the plot because it is better to read it without knowing what is happening. None of Daniel Silva's books I read I didn't look up what they were about I entered and flew by them. ( )
  AvigailRGRIL | Nov 9, 2020 |

Daniel Silvaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gigante, PhilReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gulstad, Thomassecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On present demographic trends, by the end of the twenty-first century at the latest, Europe will be Muslim. ---Bernard Lewis
The threat is serious, is growing and will, I believe, be with us for a generation. It is a sustained campaign, not a series of isolated incidents. It aims to wear down our will to resist. ---Dame Eliza Manningham-Buller, Director General of MI5
If you send a prisoner to Jordan, you get a better interrogation. If you send a prisoner, for instance, to Egypt, you will probably never see him again. Robert Baer, as quoted by Stephen Grey in Ghost Plane
For Stacy and Henry Winkler, for their friendship, support, and tireless work on behalf of children. And, as always, for my wife, Jamie, and my children, Lily and Nicholas.
It was Professor Solomon Rosner who sounded the first alarm, though his name would never be linked to the affair except in the secure rooms of a drab office building in downtown Tel Aviv.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,412,928 books! | Top bar: Always visible