Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen

Her Royal Spyness

by Rhys Bowen

Series: Her Royal Spyness (1)

1,4821197,868 (3.59)1 / 209
Lady Victoria Georgiana Charlotte Eugenie, 34th in line for the throne, is flat broke. Shes bolted Scotland, her greedy brother, and her fish-faced betrothed for London. The place where shell experience freedom, learn life lessons aplenty, do a bit of spying for HRHoh, and find a dead Frenchman in her tub. Now her new job is to clear her long family name.… (more)
Recently added byrena75, MaisieD, perennialreader, private library, SomethingIshy, LISandKL, Lucie02, ltfl_nistis
    Death at Wentwater Court by Carola Dunn (cmbohn)
    The Bloody Tower by Carola Dunn (younglibrarian)
    younglibrarian: Same location and type (cozy mysteries w/amateur detective), and similar time period.

I was really looking forward to reading this series and was especially pleased to have found a like-new hardcover autographed copy in a Little Free Library! I thought the title was clever and the premise engaging - Lady Victoria Georgiana Charlotte Eugenie (who goes by Georgie) is a minor royal who is 34th in line for the throne. She has a title but no money and in the 1930's her options are limited. She comes across a dead body in the bathtub of her London home and Scotland Yard thinks her brother Binky is the murderer. Georgie must clear his name and find the real killer, before she ends up as body number two. The best parts were the mores and manners of the British upper class during this time period, there are lots of suspects, and the story is told cheekily in the first person by Georgie. The disappointing parts were that it took forever for the murder to take place (on page 133 - halfway through the book), the murderer was pretty obvious as the story progressed, and Georgie seemed to needlessly put herself in danger. I don't think I'll go out of my way to read any more books in this series. ( )
  PhyllisReads | Aug 19, 2019 |
Please tell me the series gets better as it goes along because at this point I don’t understand why so many high reviews. This review will not actual content spoilers but more about spoilers related to the format of the book. I debated between 2 and 3 stars simply for the fact I didn’t feel like this book was a mystery novel which is why I chose it. It wasn’t bad but it did drag on.

I picked this book because of the great reviews and it was listed as a mystery. Well this felt more like historical fiction about the life of a broke royal. The mystery seemed to be thrown in about half way through the book like it was an afterthought. I didn’t mind hearing about the Lady Georgiana’s life but I wasn’t expecting that type of book. The book seemed to drag on and on until it got near the end and then it was like everything is solved rather quickly.

The mystery was predictable because the baddie might as well have “I’m the bad guy” tattooed on their forehead. Also Georgie didn’t really appear to be a good sleuth while her grandfather and her friend Belinda seemed to be great sleuths. Georgie’s friends was for the most part terribly unlikable except for her adorable grandfather. The book does do a good job of showing how Georgie is fighting between tradition and a changing modern world.

I did enjoy the narrator immensely which was a huge help to getting me through the book. ( )
  TVNerd95 | Jul 6, 2019 |
A penniless twenty-something member of the British nobility, Georgie puts her sleuthing talents to work when an arrogant Frenchman, who is determined to gain control of her family's estate for himself, ends up dead in her bathtub.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Jul 5, 2019 |
This was a delight to listen to; it made the drive to Vegas and back go very quickly. I look forward to more books by Rhys Bowen. This series is particularly well suited for listening because of the various English dialects. ( )
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |
Classic historical mystery set up in the 1930s London. The set up is classic and a bit transparent, I knew who did it half way through but Georgie is worth the read, she is an interesting character that has room to grow. The secondary female characters are a bit problematic in the way they are set up as adversary due to their gender even Belinda, who is the best friend, who is set up in a way that bothered me. ( )
  writerlibrarian | Dec 26, 2018 |

Rhys Bowenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitley, LaurenceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Castle Rannoch
Perthshire
Scotland
April 1932

There are two disadvantages to being a minor royal.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,818,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible