Outside In

by Deborah Underwood

Other authors: Cindy Derby (Illustrator)

A good way for children to see the wonders of outside. Also an encouragement to go play outside more. ( )
  MegGordon | Sep 14, 2021 |
This is a good book for younger kids. It can teach them, on how to more appreciative of things they have. It's never a good feeling when you have to see people living outside. So just be mindful of the things you have. ( )
  Mgraham20 | Jul 13, 2021 |
"Outdoors is part of people all the time, even when they’re indoors.

“Once we were part of Outside and Outside was part of us,” opens the text. The premise that nowadays humans sometimes forget about Outside is belied so thoroughly and passionately by the illustrations that it barely registers—which works just fine in this love letter to nature. From opening spread to closing, nature is all-encompassing. Derby uses watercolors, powdered graphite, and thread or flower stems soaked in ink to paint full-bleed scenes bursting with dampness and leaves, branches and sticks, and qualities of light so various that they evoke different seasons and different weathers all at once. Outdoors, watery paint describes hanging branches or rain; leaves look liquid; large orange patches are treetops but evoke flower petals. Indoors, sunlight beams through glass panes to set a watery, purple-black hallway quietly aglow. Bits of dense color saturation and keen, crisp, sometimes prickly edges pierce, delineate, and offset the bountiful, wet, organic swaths. Outside “sings to us with chirps and rustles and tap-taps on the roof”; it “beckons with smells: sunbaked, fresh, and mysterious”; we feel it “in the warm weight of our cats and the rough fur of our dogs.” The child character embraced by Outside (when both outdoors and in) has peach skin and long, straight, dark hair.

Lushness without sweetness—wild, darkly romantic, and exquisite." A Kirkus Starred Review, www.kirkusreviews.com
  CDJLibrary | Apr 30, 2021 |
Outside In is such a beautifully written and illustrated children’s novel. This novel explores the many ways nature affects our everyday lives, even when we’re stuck inside. I loved the connection it made between humans and nature, as well as the detailed illustrations. It describes all the ways we have found to separate ourselves from nature or Outside and all the ways in which Outside calls to us, to renew our connection. This book has a powerful message and is very relevant today, especially with the Covid-19 pandemic, quarantine periods, and repeated lock downs. Outside In shows that even when we don't think to reach for nature, nature reaches for us. I recommend this picture book to anyone that appreciates nature and all it provides us with. I love how the Horn Book Magazine described the novel, “The intersection of outside and inside is creatively explored in this reflection on nature and its gentle persistence and ever-presence....Visible brushstrokes and splashes create texture, reflecting the outside’s raw, sensory, and uninhibited beauty—a beauty that (on the last spread) summons the girl out of her house and into the golden outdoors, reminding readers of the majesty that is always there, waiting just outside.” This novel is truly beautiful!!! ( )
  Madimurphy33 | Mar 23, 2021 |
This book is geared towards younger elementary students.

This book talks about how people used to live outside. Nowadays, much of our lives is spent inside. This book just talks about how much we rely on nature to live our lives and we should be more appreciative of the outdoors.

This would be a good to use around Earth Day or to teach about being outside. ( )
  cbrown19 | Mar 7, 2021 |

Deborah Underwoodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Derby, CindyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,339,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible