dismiss

Black Widows: A Domestic Thriller by Cate…

Black Widows: A Domestic Thriller (edition 2021)

by Cate Quinn (Author)

""I had the right husband-and the wrong wives." -One of Blake Nelson's widows The Dry meets The Handmaid's Tale in this fascinating story of wife and death. Against the wishes of his family and the laws of the elders of the Mormon church, Blake Nelson has adopted the old polygamous ways and lives alone with his three wives, miles from anywhere, in rural Utah. Blake and his wives kept to themselves-and kept most folks out. That is, until his dead body is discovered. Black Widows is told in the three voices of Blake's very different wives, who hate each other, and who sometimes hated their husband. Blake's dead. Did his wife kill him? And if so, which one?"--… (more)
Member:kwright2528
Title:Black Widows: A Domestic Thriller
Authors:Cate Quinn (Author)
Info:Sourcebooks Landmark (2021), 432 pages

Work Information

Black Widows by Cate Quinn

3.5 stars
This was an interesting thriller told from multiple POV of the wives in a polygamist relationship. I liked the shade that was thrown on each of the wives throughout the book, each time it would leave you wondering if this wife was the killer. I found the book a little bit long but I am also not sure how you could have pared down the story without losing integral information. I was able to guess who the killer was shortly before the reveal.
I would recommend this book to thriller fans. ( )
  Shauna_Morrison | Sep 29, 2022 |
Oh gosh. Having read a lot of memoirs of women leaving fundamentalist Mormonism this is really on the mark. It was so good. Yeah, there was a murder but all the interplay between Rachel, Tina, and Emily was fascinating. ( )
  pacbox | Jul 9, 2022 |
I loved this book. I did not see the end coming at all, and I was on the edge of my seat for almost the entire book. Highly recommend!!! ( )
  ReneeGreen | May 20, 2022 |
On a remote ranch in the desert scrub near Salt Lake City, a man is violently murdered. His wife is most likely the killer--but which one? Yes, this is a story of Mormon polygamy in rural Utah. Blake has three very different wives, all of which may have had reason to kill him, and one of whom has a dark secret regarding her childhood growing up in a cult with an evil "prophet" at its head.

First, I do need to say that the structure of this novel is one I've seen more and more lately in thrillers and that I find tiresome to read--that is, very short chapters, alternating point of view, all in first person and present tense. In this case, it alternates among the wives. I was thinking about giving up on it for that reason alone, but I got drawn in by the story and the characters. Quinn's writing is very cinematic, which makes the ping-pong structure not as tedious as it could be, and she did a good job of making her characters distinct and more and more sympathetic as the story went on. Did I see the twist coming? No, but that's because I thought it was just nuts. I accepted it, but it was like I was reading about alien beings, so strange were their beliefs. I very much liked the ending and the underlying feminist tones, but I do think the plot is kind of a ripped-from-the-headlines, throw-in-every-shocking-thing-that-comes-to-mind potboiler. ( )
  sturlington | May 9, 2022 |
BLACK WIDOWS by Cate Quinn
Blake Nelson wanted to be left alone with his three wives in wilds of Utah. Unfortunately, someone wanted him dead. One of his wives? Perhaps. They all had reason to hate him. But did they have enough reason to kill? Rachel, first wife, obedient to a fault. Hated by the other wives who are forced to accede to her demands. Tina, the OTHER wife, beautiful and straight from rehab. NOT a dutiful Morman wife. Emily, the third wife, young, TOO young, terrified and Catholic. Which one killed him? The police are determined to find out. But rumors about another wife are flying about. Are there more suspects?
Each widow is deftly drawn. The forbidding landscape is a brooding presence. The mother-in-law is malevolent. A tense and exciting tale that will keep you turning pages well into the night.
4 of 5 stars ( )
  beckyhaase | Mar 15, 2022 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,992,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible