Urban Shaman by C. E. Murphy

Urban Shaman (2005)

by C. E. Murphy

Heart of Stone by C. E. Murphy (DistortedSmile)
    Hounded by Kevin Hearne (clif_hiker)
    clif_hiker: Celtic mythology
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (majkia)
    majkia: very different ideas of female protags in urban fantasy
    The Mountain's Call by Caitlin Brennan (DistortedSmile)

Thank all that's good & right that's over with!

First, it struck me as a bit of a Mercy Thompson rip off. Being a half Indian mechanic battling a Demi god...yeah. Also, Jo simply wasn't an endearing character for me. I didn't care what happened to her, and was half hoping she'd just die and end my misery.

This book was saved from 1 star, because I DID like Gary quite a lot, though his character didn't make any sense in the scheme of things. That, and the Anne of Green Gables reference.

I kept hoping it would get a bit better with the action packed ending, but no. Not for me anyway. It was merely more of the same blundering along. With stupid blanket explanations for things at the end that were just a bit of a shrug. Felt lazy.

Meh, can't win them all. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
This is a fairly light read somewhere just above the middle of the pack for Urban Fantasy but it is a fairly entertaining read nevertheless. Enough entertaining for me to want to have a go at the second book in the series although I cannot really say that I am in a rush to do so.

I like the general story but then I always like stories were the main character suddenly becomes aware that there are things that go bump in the night and they are one of these things.

The main character is likable. A bit obnoxious and somewhat stupid at times but quick with her mouth, on the home team and do not hesitate to fight when it is needed. Her taxi driver friend is very likable to the extent that he almost steels the spotlight at times. Even her police station boss becomes, almost, likable towards the end of the book.

The story is quite okay as well as the world building even though it sometimes goes into la la land and becomes a bit difficult to follow. I have to agree with some of the other reviewers that the car analogy used felt somewhat silly. On the other hand the author takes a decent enough amount of time to gradually introduce Joanne’s new powers and the book has quite a few “surprise” moments. That is surprise for the other characters when Joanne’s powers allows her to perform unbelievable feats. I quite like that.

Naturally the book leads up to a big showdown with the bad guy(s) and I have to say that here certain things went a tad too fast. Joanne got a grip on her powers and performed the most remarkable feats after only having acquired her powers a few days ago. Felt a bit too much to me.

Anyway, on the whole I was entertained by this book and, as I wrote above, I will probably have a go at the second one in the series as well. ( )
  perjonsson | Jun 10, 2019 |
Joanne Walker I liked. Siobhan Walkingstick I did not. Okay, yes, she changed her name, she had issues with her background, Mom was Irish, Dad was Native American, we get all that. My issue with all this is what was wrong with Joanne Walker, Urban Shaman? Did she really need the super-ethnic Mary Sue name to demonstrate her Irish/Native American credentials? I don't think she did.

The police stuff was crap. The official mechanic for Wherever P.D. was sent to the police academy? I seriously doubt that. And then when she loses her mechanic job for taking a several month leave to be with her dying mother she gets busted down to... beat cop? What? Seriously? An untrained mechanic is now supposed to carry a weapon and patrol the streets? Hell fucking no.

I liked the character of Joanne a great deal. She did what she could with what she had, and she tried to learn and absorb all these new things but at times was very frustrated with it all. Nothing came easy to her, she had to struggle and sometimes fail. She had some people she could tell the truth to and others she couldn't, not because they were bad people but because they simply wouldn't be able to believe she was a shaman.

Some of the back-and-forth dream scenes between Joanne and Herne were confusing at first, I think they could have used a little warning for the reader about what was going on. Normally I don't mind being as confused as the protagonist, but I get frustrated when I have to re-read because a page in I realize it's some sort of mystic battle.

Speaking of Herne, I liked the villian(s) and their relationship, I would have liked to have known more about that from the beginning so as to have gone deeper into that storyline.

My favorite part was Gary the taxi driver and how he and Joanne bonded in sort of a father-daughter way and how he is determined to stick it out and help her however he can. Their friendship made the story that much more enjoyable to read. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Joanne should have guessed something was weird when she watched a bunch of hounds and a man on a horse chasing down a woman through the streets of Seattle. That was weird enough, but the fact she was watching this from an airplane on approach to land made it even weirder.

But Joanne had been on a fight for hours, her contacts were glued to her eyes and she was so exhausted she barely registered where she was.

Thus begins The Walker Papers, [Urban Shaman] the first book of the series.

I liked the character, enjoyed her growing awareness of powers and her problematic and skeptical attitude toward the whole thing. But since suddenly that rider was after her, too, well, she didn't have much choice about buying in to what was happening to her.

One of the better urban fantasies I've read for quite awhile. ( )
  majkia | Sep 13, 2017 |
Good character and storyline development. Decent plot. Story is definitely a character builder along the way, which causes the story to move along slower than anticipated. ( )
  BookJunkie777 | Oct 16, 2016 |
Voici donc un livre intéressant, avec des personnages attachants, mais qui souffre de sa précipitation, surtout vers la fin. L'héroïne maîtrise trop facilement ses pouvoirs, et son affrontement avec le Dieu est finalement peu crédible. C'est cependant un livre agréable à lire, qui a un petit parfum des séries du samedi soir sur M6, et qui cible clairement le même public.

There's nothing worse than a red-eye flight.

Joanne Walker has three days to learn to use her shamanic powers and save the world from the unleashed Wild Hunt.

No worries. No pressure. Never mind the lack of sleep, the perplexing new talent for healing herself from fatal wounds, or the cryptic, talking coyote who appears in her dreams.
And if all that's not bad enough, in the three years Joanne's been a cop, she's never seen a dead body, but she's just come across her second in three days.

It's been a bitch of a week. And it isn't over yet.

No worries. No pressure. Nevermind the lack of sleep, the perplexing new talent for healing from fatal wounds, or the cryptic, talking coyote who appears in her dreams.

And if all that's not bad enough, in the three years Joanne's been a cop, she's never seen a dead body -- but she's just come across her second in three days.

It's been a bitch of a week. And it isn't over yet.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:35 -0400)

The ultimate skeptic when it comes to the mystical, Seattle cop Joanne Walker aids a woman claiming to be hunted by Cernunnos, an ancient Celtic god, a situation that brings her face to face with an angry god and awakens in her shamanic powers that she must learn to harness to save the world.… (more)

C. E. Murphy is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,397,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible