House of Correction: A Novel by Nicci French

House of Correction: A Novel (edition 2020)

by Nicci French (Author)

In this heart-pounding standalone from the internationally bestselling author that People calls "razor sharp," a woman accused of murder attempts to solve her own case from the confines of prison--but as she unravels the truth, everything is called into question, including her own certainty that she is innocent. Tabitha is not a murderer. When a body is discovered in Okeham, England, Tabitha is shocked to find herself being placed in handcuffs. It must be a mistake. She'd only recently moved back to her childhood hometown, not even getting a chance to reacquaint herself with the neighbors. How could she possibly be a murder suspect? She knows she's not. As Tabitha is shepherded through the system, her entire life is picked apart and scrutinized --her history of depression and medications, her decision to move back to a town she supposedly hated . . . and of course, her past relationship with the victim, her former teacher. But most unsettling, Tabitha's own memories of that day are a complete blur. She thinks she's not. From the isolation of the correctional facility, Tabitha dissects every piece of evidence, every testimony she can get her hands on, matching them against her own recollections. But as dark, long-buried memories from her childhood come to light, Tabatha begins to question if she knows what kind of person she is after all. The world is convinced she's a killer. Tabatha needs to prove them all wrong. But what if she's only lying to herself? … (more)
Member:djlib
Tags:Via Libby

Work Information

House of Correction by Nicci French

Recently added byArena800, annalena21, valoriefj, djlib, S.V.H

English (13)  Dutch (2)  All languages (15)
Two and a half stars rounded down because I found this protagonist incredibly annoying. I think I was supposed to feel empathy for her - she has depression - but she just kept digging herself a deeper hole. Overly long and not a satisfying crime read. Disappointing. ( )
  Mercef | Mar 23, 2022 |
What an unlikeable character she is! Jailed for murder of the man who molested her at the age of 15, Tabitha is a touchy, stand-offish person. It was pretty hard to continue with the book until you understood the reason for her personality and then grief and anger took over. Child sex abuse is so damaging and it's hard for someone who hasn't lived it to understand the repercussions for the victim. Great book! ( )
  juju2cat | Jul 10, 2021 |
When the dead body of Stuart Rees is found in her shed, Tabitha is declared a murderer by everyone in the village and thrown in prison.

Now, awaiting her trial., she is sure that she is not capable of murder. She knows that she is missing something important but can't figure out what. When her lawyer tells her to plead guilty, she realises that the only one she can trust to help her out of this situation is herself. So she fires her lawyer and decides to fight for herself.

I absolutely loved this one. I just loved Tabitha in spite of all her flaws. I admired her determination to go and fight the case even though the prosecution's case against her was strong and that she had no training whatsoever. Her cellmate, and later friend, Michaela was also an interesting character to read about.

It was so annoying that people didn't like her just because she kept to herself. I liked the way Tabitha started investigating the crime and once the trial began, I was totally hooked on to this book and just couldn't wait to reach the end.

This was my first book by Nicci French and I will be looking forward to read more of their books!

Thank You to NetGalley and Simon and Schuster UK for this ARC!! ( )
  Vanessa_Menezes | Mar 17, 2021 |
The setting is Okeham England, a little coastal village where Tabitha Hardy lived as a child. She returned to start life anew, buying a fixer upper and hoped to put her dreadful past behind her.

This starts out with Tabitha arrested and jailed for murder. She doesn't think she's done it but she has memory losses. The evidence points to her as a body was found in her shed and she is covered in blood.

The dead man is Stuart Rees and he sexually abused her when she was fifteen years old; he was her teacher. There is certainly motive but on further investigation there were quite a few people Stuart alienated and screwed over in the small village.

This is hard book to review. As I start to write my opinions, I stop and think....did I like this book? There was a question posted on Goodreads by someone who abandoned it yet wanted to know the ending because she was curious. I was never tempted to abandon it.

Tabitha is hard to like. She has a caustic personality yet I kept reading because you could understand why she was so closed off to people. She was bullied as a child and teen, she was taken advantage of by a trusted teacher, one who gave her some of the only positive attention in school and that turned out poorly. The descriptions of the correctional facilty will chill you as you read about the cells, the awful food and officers who can make your life a misery.

I'm really selling this book, huh?! LOL The story is divided by the prison life, the upcoming trial and defense then the epilogue. Tabitha represents herself as her court appointed attorney suggests she plead guilty to manslaughter to get a lesser sentence. Yes, the evidence is overwhelmimg but hang in and watch as Tabitha researchs the case and finds flaws in the investigation. Not loopholes, but a sloppy investigation and, in my opinion, flawed crime scene info. It was clear the authorities just felt it was a slam dunk conviction.

This was written by the English husband and wife team Sean French and Nicci Gerrard. I prefered the Frieda Klein series to this novel but I will read more by these authors in the future. ( )
  SquirrelHead | Jan 31, 2021 |
Tabitha Hardy is in prison awaiting trial for the murder of Stuart Rees, whose body was found in her shed.

Nicci French is a well respected husband and wife team author. They have many books and I have read just a couple which I enjoyed. This book sounded really good and as it sounded like a court room type read I was looking forward to reading it. However I found this book really bizarre.

The first half of the book follows Tabitha in prison who decides to defend herself. This section is all about Tabitha going through the evidence. The second half of the book is the court case. Now I don't know hardly anything about the legal system at all but did wonder how realistic this book is. The way Tabitha speaks to people in the court and some of her actions to me took some convincing

For a big author such as Nicci French I was expecting so much more. This book seemed unrealistic and I was disappointed. I was expecting a book to blow me away and a favourite read of the year. If this book had have been my first by the author it certainly would have been my last. ( )
  tina1969 | Nov 15, 2020 |
Voor Lucca
Het gegil begon om drie uur 's nachts.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,685,013 books! | Top bar: Always visible