In the Lives of Puppets by TJ Klune

In the Lives of Puppets (edition 2023)

by TJ Klune (Author)

In a strange little home built into the branches of a grove of trees, live three robots, fatherly inventor android Giovanni Lawson, a pleasantly sadistic nurse machine, and a small vacuum desperate for love and attention. Victor Lawson, a human, lives there too. They're a family, hidden and safe. The day Vic salvages and repairs an unfamiliar android labelled "HAP," he learns of a shared dark past between Hap and Gio, a past spent hunting humans. When Hap unwittingly alerts robots from Gio's former life to their whereabouts, the family is no longer hidden and safe. Gio is captured and taken back to his old laboratory in the City of Electric Dreams. So together, the rest of Vic's assembled family must journey across an unforgiving and otherworldly country to rescue Gio from decommission, or worse, reprogramming. Along the way to save Gio, amid conflicted feelings of betrayal and affection for Hap, Vic must decide for himself: Can he accept love with strings attached?… (more)
Member:amcguff13
Title:In the Lives of Puppets
Authors:TJ Klune (Author)
Info:Tor Books (2023), 432 pages

Work Information

In the Lives of Puppets by TJ Klune

English (36)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (38)
Wholesome and twisted. It doesn't really seem like a possible combination, but this really seems like a rated-R Pixar or Disney film in novel form. The characters are extremely lovable the adventure is fun, the setting is dark with a veneer of coolness to it. Unfortunately, for me, the darker parts got all to0 soft and squishy as time went on. I enjoyed it as a "different experience", but it's not the kind of style I would enjoy reading often/again.

Also very disappointed that there were no puppets in this book. It really needs a different title.

A note on the audio. The narrator does some pretty funny voices that I enjoyed, but I can see it getting really annoying for some people. His "normal" reading voice, is just okay for me. ( )
  ragwaine | May 27, 2024 |
An Unexpected Journey Beyond My Comfort Zone

T.J. Klune’s In the Lives of Puppets took me on an unexpected literary journey. This book was quite a change from my regular reading habits as someone whose comfort zone rarely stretches into the worlds of science fiction and robots.

In the Lives of Puppets ♦ T.J. Klune

Opinion

The story takes place in a world where puppets (robots in this case) come to life and the barriers between truth and fantasy blur. T.J. Klune creates a unique tapestry of characters and events, demonstrating his narrative ability. The author’s imagination shines through, and the plot is complicated, with surprising twists and turns that kept me guessing throughout.

While I like the author’s imagination and the story’s depth, I must admit that the science fiction components and the presence of robots were difficult for me to connect with. It’s not a critique of the book; rather, it’s a personal choice that these genres fall outside my regular reading range. I might not have picked it up on my own if it hadn’t been in a book-box.

Despite my worries, I thought the characters and their connections to be charming and emotional. Klune’s writing style is approachable, and he injects comedy into the tale, making the overall experience more entertaining.

Conclusion

In the Lives of Puppets is an undeniably well-crafted tale for fans of fantasy, science fiction, and the unexpected. While it may not have totally won me over owing to my genre choices, I can recognize its virtues and recommend it to those who are more at ease with the worlds of robots and artificial intelligence.

This review was first published at The Art of Reading. ( )
  RoXXieSiXX | May 20, 2024 |
4.25⭐ ( )
  Levitara | Apr 5, 2024 |
I think this story could have been great and will be for a lot of people. I just can't get into sentient machines which is a major theme running throughout.

The acknowledgement section at the end left a bad taste in my mouth. TJ Klune suggests quite strongly that this was not the novel he wanted to write and had to rewrite and leave out a lot. I felt disappointed that I had not read the book he intended it to be.

I really liked the supporting characters, Nurse Ratched in particular. Her cavalier attitude towards violence really made me laugh.

As with all TJ's books, there is a strong theme of identity and acceptance which is beautiful. ( )
  Incredibooks | Mar 1, 2024 |
I really struggled to get through this one! The characters felt more abrasive then Klune's previous works, not sure if it was just the personalities of the robots being more one note, or the fact that it was pretty repetitive. I also think it comes out an awkward time media wise with SO many pinnochio retellings! Maybe it's just not for me, but it didn't hit the right note in terms of story or pacing for me. ( )
  eboods | Feb 28, 2024 |
FOR HUMANITY: You kinda suck, but you invented books and music, so the universe will probably keep you around for a little bit longer. You got lucky. This time.
In an old and lonely forest, far away from almost everything, sat a curious dwelling.

At the base of a grove of massive trees was a small, square building made of brick, overtaken by ivy and moss. Who it belonged to was anyone's guess, but from the looks of it, it had been abandoned long ago. It wasn't until a man named Giovanni Lawson (who wasn't actually a man at all) came across it while making his way through the forest that it was remembered with any purpose.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,118,642 books! | Top bar: Always visible