dismiss

Forward the Foundation (Foundation Novels) (1993)

by Isaac Asimov

Series: Foundation (2), Foundation Expanded Universe (10)

4,719441,634 (3.79)1 / 50
In this stunning finale to one of the greatest science fiction adventures of all time, Asimov looks back to the development of one of science fiction's most popular creations: the science of Psychohistory, which predicts the actions of society.

English (39)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Slovak (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (44)
This is the second prequel to the original Foundation trilogy:

1988 Prelude to Foundation
1993 Forward the Foundation 1951 Foundation
1952 Foundation and Empire
1953 Second Foundation
1981 Foundation's Edge
1986 Foundation and Earth ( )
  RFBrost | Jul 8, 2020 |
First of all, I thought I had read it. But then I realized there was simply much I knew from other books, and finally that I had not read it--at least not in its entirety--but had likely put it aside thinking I had and was bored with its mediocrity.

Really! What a shame. The writing was subpar, although it was interesting to see how Asimov was stitching together the threads of the First Foundation. Worth the read simply to close the door on the gaps between the creation of the Second Foundation and the genesis of the First... ( )
  kaulsu | Jun 2, 2020 |
Didn't enjoy this volume as much but glad to have read it and finished Asimov's Foundation series.

One thing that struck me (and saddened me) was his writing about some in his fictional world who denied science. Writing in 1993, this may have seemed far fetched. But, living at the end of 2016, it is the frightening reality we face. At times, I felt I was reading the news, not a work of science fiction. ( )
  drew_asson | Mar 22, 2020 |
In the beginning of Forward the Foundation Hari Seldon is forty years old and a professor at Streeling University. He is still trying to define psychohistory as something more than a mathematical way of analyzing society to predict the future. There are those who expect his predictions to save the Empire. Luckily, he is not alone in his efforts, but surrounded by key characters from the previous novel (Prelude to Foundation):
Dors Venabili, acting as guardian in Prelude to Foundation, is now Seldon's wife but still insists on protecting him wherever he goes. When their granddaughter, Wanda, has reoccurring dreams of Seldon's death it is reason enough Dors needs to be extra attentive to Seldon's safety. We learn she has superhuman skills and never ages.
Raych is twenty years old at the beginning of Forward the Foundation and Seldon has adopted him as his son.
In Prelude to Foundation Yugo Amaryl had been a heatsinker in the Dahl Sector, the lowest rung on society's ladder, but Seldon had seen something in him worth saving. In Forward the Foundation Yugo is now a respected mathematician, intellectual, and budding obsessive psychohistorian. For all intents and purposes he has become Seldon's right hand man.
Eto Demerzel, Emperor Cleon's First Minister and the "person" responsible for Seldon meeting his wife, steps aside to let Seldon take the position. After ten years as First Minister he grows sick of it and finds a way to retire. Fast forward twenty more years and Seldon is now seventy. As the empire dies Seldon finds himself struggling to keep up with the demands of researching psychohistory.
Asimov has a subtle and sly humor that threads its way through Forward the Foundation. One of my favorite moments was when Seldon was describing mathematical symbolism using water themes - rivers, rivulets, and currents. After listening to this Amaryl replies to Seldon "dryly." ( )
1 vote SeriousGrace | Jul 24, 2019 |
It is hard to believe that my journey of reading all of Asimov's Robots/Empire/Foundation series is over. It took just over a year, although I got distracted with a few other books along the way, and it was one of the best reading experiences of my life.

Asimov's style just resonates with me. His focus on small cast, but big picture is unparalleled. So many pieces of fiction TRY to be epic, and so few succeed. Asimov succeeds, over and over again. While Forward the Foundation wasn't quite as good as some of his other works, I couldn't help but feel moved by the last few pages, as if Asimov was writing as Hari Seldon himself.

This will remain among my favorite series ever and am so pleased to have read them. I guarantee some will find them dull, or slow - there's not a ton of action, LOTS of talking and exposition, but all the sci-fi greatness that permeates these books is still thrilling to read decades after they were published. ( )
  hskey | Dec 13, 2018 |

Asimov, Isaacprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Larkin, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montanari, GianniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all my loyal readers
DEMERZEL, ETO - … While there is no question that Eto Demerzel was the real power in the government during much of the reign of Cleon I, historians are divided as to the nature of his rule.(Chapter 1 Headnote)
'I tell you again, Hari,' said Yugo Amaryl, ' that your friend Demerzel is in deep trouble.'

Hari Seldon plots
psychohistory while plots
threaten its future.
(ed.pendragon)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,958,318 books! | Top bar: Always visible