Noches en Hollywood by James Ellroy

Noches en Hollywood (original 1994; edition 2009)

by James Ellroy

In "Dick Contino's Blues," a novella inspired by the real-life entertainer, a serial killer on the loose in West Hollywood gets tangled up with a fake kidnapping; the collection also includes five stories of corrupt cops, goons with guns, and mobsters, all set in the fading glory of 1950s Los Angeles Nobody plays accordion like Dick Contino. His skilled fingers can find beauty in even the schmaltziest borscht belt favorites, and with his matinee-idol looks he could be a real star. Right now, though, he's slumming it as the headliner in a Grade Z teenybopper picture called Daddy-O. He's too good for this movie, and finishing it is going to take him to a very dark place.   Daddy-O and Dick Contino are both real, their stories dredged out of the past by James Ellroy, a master of historical crime fiction. In Dick Contino's Blues he takes us to B-List Hollywood in 1957--a time when movies were cheerful and dirty secrets lurked just off camera. Included along with the novella are five short stories, all in the author's inimitable tough-bitten style.… (more)
Member:luiska_303
Title:Noches en Hollywood
Authors:James Ellroy
Info:Barcelona Ediciones B 2009

Work Information

Hollywood Nocturnes by James Ellroy (1994)

English (4)  Spanish (1)  All languages (5)
Probably really a two star book, but gave it an extra star on the off chance that I just wasn't in the right mood when I read it. If you've never read Ellroy before, I would not recommend this as your starting point. The stories did have a nice, pulpy feel to them, but I think short stories just are not his strength. Also, I don't really understand the title of the collection--fabulous title, but none of the stories with the possible exception of the final seemed to match what the title led me to expect. ( )
  gtross | May 5, 2020 |
All the stories were predictable. But, I don't read Ellroy for his novelty.

The exception was 'Gravy Train'. The humor was unexpected and the ending was great. ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
Ashamed to say, that this was my first foray into the dark world of Ellroy. It won't be the last. Not all the stories are classics (some could be left out altogether) and without a reread I would be hard pushed to name a favourite. If, like me, you're yet to read the long acclaimed master of L. A. Noir, this is as good as any place to start. ( )
  Kate_Ward | Nov 12, 2013 |

James Ellroyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mantovani, Vincenzosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perria, LidiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Alan Marks

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,976,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible