The Hollow Ones (2020)

by Guillermo del Toro, Chuck Hogan

1968114,444 (3.6)None
A horrific crime that defies explanation, a rookie FBI agent in uncharted territory, and an extraordinary hero for the ages: an investigation spirals out of control in this heart-pounding thriller. Odessa Hardwicke's life is derailed when she's forced to turn her gun on her partner, Walt Leppo, a decorated FBI agent who turns suddenly, inexplicably violent while apprehending a rampaging murderer. The shooting, justified by self-defense, shakes the young FBI agent to her core. Devastated, Odessa is placed on desk leave pending a full investigation. But what most troubles Odessa isn't the tragedy itself -- it's the shadowy presence she thought she saw fleeing the deceased agent's body after his death. Questioning her future with the FBI and her sanity, Hardwicke accepts a low-level assignment to clear out the belongings of a retired agent in the New York office. What she finds there will put her on the trail of a mysterious figure named Hugo Blackwood, a man of enormous means who claims to have been alive for centuries, and who is either an unhinged lunatic, or humanity's best and only defense against unspeakable evil. From the authors who brought you The Strain Trilogy comes a strange, terrifying, and darkly wondrous world of suspense, mystery, and literary horror. The Hollow Ones is a chilling, spell-binding tale, a hauntingly original new fable from Academy Award-winning director Guillermo del Toro and bestselling author Chuck Hogan featuring their most fascinating character yet.… (more)

Li em pt-br. Bem escrito, divertido, bons personagens. ( )
  tarsischwald | Oct 23, 2021 |
I haven't read anything by Guillermo del Toro before but I've seen his films. When I saw an offering on NetGalley (yay for the addition of audiobooks!) I immediately requested it. I still haven't looked Chuck Hogan up yet but will soon...

I really didn't know what to expect from this book but I had a very hard time putting it down once I got into it. The first few chapters were tough because we move between different time periods and characters but it all comes together fairly quickly and then the action picks up.

I'm not going to lie, the main protagonist, Odessa Hardwicke, did get on my nerves occasionally but redeemed herself fairly quickly. And I ended up becoming a big fan of Hugo Blackwood.

I will eagerly pick up the sequel so I can join in on the continuing adventures!

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing the audiobook.

Oh! I almost forgot to mention that the narrator does a great job of bringing the characters to life. ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
I wasn't sure what to expect from this newest book by Guillermo Del Toro. I loved The Shape of Water, but Pan's Labryinth (movie and book version) wasn't my thing at all. But....even if a Del Toro story isn't a personal favorite....it's always entertaining and well-done. So, I jumped at the chance to review this audio book.

Every day for a week I listened to this story as I commuted to and from work. I know when an audio book grabs my attention because I can't leave the story once I reach work...I have to listen on breaks, at lunch, while filing, and at home while I do housework, cook dinner, etc. This book definitely grabbed my attention. I had to know what happened next!

A rookie FBI agent forced to shoot her own partner. Several civilians turning strangely violent for no apparent reason. Rookie FBI agent Odessa Hardwicke knows there is something strange about her partner's violent outburst. She saw a shadowy presence leave his body after she killed him. As Odessa begins to wonder if she's losing her mind, she finds herself on the trail of a shadowy figure.....a man who may be hundreds of years old and hold the knowledge to defeat evil.

An awesomely creepy and suspenseful read! I hope they make this into a movie! It is definitely a Del Toro story. It starts off with suspense, but then quickly delves into the strange and bizarre! But....I'm always up for strange and bizarre! I loved listening to this story. Chuck Hogan co-authored this book with Del Toro. He's written several books...I'm definitely going to check out more of his writing. And Del Toro.....well I will definitely be watching more of his movies (except for Pan's Labyrinth...ugh) and books!

Brittany Pressley does a great job of narrating. She has a pleasant, easily understandable voice and reads at a nice pace. All in all, a nice listening experience!

**I listened to a review copy of this audio book from Hachette Audio. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.** ( )
  JuliW | Nov 22, 2020 |
The first book in a trilogy. Enjoyable, creepy at times.
It's basically a set up for what is to come.
Looking forward to the next book ( )
  silversurfer | Sep 10, 2020 |
Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan have written another well paced thriller. There is plenty of action and suspense in this tale of a young FBI agent, Odessa Hardwicke, who is forced to kill her more experienced partner who inexplicably threatens to kill an innocent girl at a murder scene. As if this trauma wasn’t enough, Odessa believes she sees an entity leaving the body of the partner she has just shot. She not only has the trauma about shooting her partner, she also has doubts about what she has seen. Pulled off the street, shuffled off to the sidelines in a dead end office job, she is contemplating quitting the FBI. As she sifts through the dust of old cases she repeatedly comes across the name of a supposedly retired agent whose office she is cleaning out. The elderly agent is now in a hospital chronically ill. Trying to return some personal effects, she visits Agent Earl Solomon in the hospital and starts down a trail of mystery and suspense that will lead her to an acquaintance of his, an enigmatic man named John Silence. It seems Silence has been chasing similar wraith like creatures, like the one she saw leaving her dead partner’s body, for decades. Odessa is not sure if she is going down the road to crazy town or saving what’s left of her sanity. Regardless she finds herself caught in the web of suspense. ( )
  Ronrose1 | Aug 8, 2020 |

Guillermo del Toroprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hogan, Chuckmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,401,160 books! | Top bar: Always visible