I, Strahd: Memoirs of a Vampire (Ravenloft)…

I, Strahd: Memoirs of a Vampire (Ravenloft) (original 1993; edition 1995)

by P. N. Elrod (Author)

Series: I, Strahd (1), Ravenloft (7)

To win the hand of the beautiful Tatyana, Strahd Von Zarovich, the ruthless leader of the darklords, will do anything, even enter a pact with Death that must be sealed with the blood of his young and idealistic brother, Sergei. Reprint. 20,000 first printing.
Member:Azrael4u2
Title:I, Strahd: Memoirs of a Vampire (Ravenloft)
Authors:P. N. Elrod (Author)
Info:Wizards of the Coast (1995), Edition: Reprint, 320 pages

I, Strahd by P. N. Elrod (1993)

This was a really interestingly done gothic horror novel - I'll have a full review of this later. ( )
  Count_Zero | Jul 7, 2020 |
I wish all of the trashy books I've read were as well-written as this. ( )
  wordsampersand | Dec 6, 2018 |
I've read this book twice through, several years ago, and leafed through it again before typing this. I was reading a lot of Dungeons and Dragons shared world fantasy at the time, and this was a new approach. Ravenloft was an adventure and is now a Gothic campaign setting but knowledge of role playing worlds is not necessary. It's more an Easter Egg for people who want to know the story behind the main villain.

The book is written in the fist person, with a brief prologue and epilogue in third. It's Gothic in the stereotypical sense, with vampires, dark atmospheres, gloomy castles and the like. And of course, the ever-present Ravenloft mist, a supernatural entity into itself.

I don't read may vampire books so I can't really compare this to any, save that what I like about the book most is Strahd's character. He is a shared character, and I've read three authors' version of him and Elrod's I like best. He is of the 'noble count' vein, and in Elrod's writing comes off as more understated and a thinker rather than pompous or savage. It's an entertaining and lighter read. ( )
  WeeTurtle | Oct 17, 2018 |
Normally I wouldn't be caught undead reading a vampire book, but I was doing my background work for the D&D Curse of Strahd campaign I'll be DM'ing soon. This book is based on the original 'Ravenloft' adventure for Dungeons and Dragons, that introduced the character of Strahd and his home, Castle Ravenloft.
This is pretty standard Dungeons and Dragons fantasy, though light on combat. A classic tragic vampire story, with a few twists. Not bad for a vampire book, which I generally avoid. ( )
  Karlstar | Jun 3, 2018 |
Synopsis: Strahd is a fierce warrior only interested in the lands he can conquer and the magic books in which he can dabble. This remains true until he sees his younger brother's fiance. He is so smitten that he makes a deal with Death to acquire his 'heart's desire'. Of course, this leads to the loss of his humanity, and on more than one occasion, nearly his life.
Review: This is written as a memoir and is extremely predictable. I did have some empathy for Strahd, but not much. ( )
  DrLed | Nov 29, 2015 |

P. N. Elrodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Foster, JonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For the three "M.s" in my life,
Mark, Mac, and the Mite.
Though it was a bright, hot darn outside, there were no windows in this part of the castle.
A word, a gesture to empower it, and the portcullis raised itself just enough for them to get through, then slammed down once more, locking me in with the dead...
...and those that were about to die.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,773,161 books! | Top bar: Always visible