Zodiac Academy: The Awakening by Caroline…

Zodiac Academy: The Awakening (edition 2021)

by Caroline Peckham (Autor)

Series: Zodiac Academy (1)

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER USA TODAY BESTSELLER Winner of the New England Book Award for Nonfiction "The best of what memoir can accomplish... pulling no punches on the path to truth, but it always finds the capacity for grace and joy."-Esquire, "Best Memoirs of the Year" A TIME Best Book of the Season* A Rolling Stone Top Culture Pick * A Publishers Weekly Best Memoir of the Season * A Buzzfeed Book Pick * A Goodreads Readers' Most Anticipated Book * A Chicago Tribune Book Pick * A Boston.com Book You Should Read * A Los Angeles Times Book to Add to Your Reading List * An Entertainment Weekly Best Book of the Month Isaac Fitzgerald has lived many lives. He's been an altar boy, a bartender, a fat kid, a smuggler, a biker, a prince of New England. But before all that, he was a bomb that exploded his parents' lives-or so he was told. In Dirtbag, Massachusetts, Fitzgerald, with warmth and humor, recounts his ongoing search for forgiveness, a more far-reaching vision of masculinity, and a more expansive definition of family and self. Fitzgerald's memoir-in-essays begins with a childhood that moves at breakneck speed from safety to violence, recounting an extraordinary pilgrimage through trauma to self-understanding and, ultimately, acceptance. From growing up in a Boston homeless shelter to bartending in San Francisco, from smuggling medical supplies into Burma to his lifelong struggle to make peace with his body, Fitzgerald strives to take control of his own story: one that aims to put aside anger, isolation, and entitlement to embrace the idea that one can be generous to oneself by being generous to others. Gritty and clear-eyed, loud-hearted and beautiful, Dirtbag, Massachusetts is a rollicking book that might also be a lifeline.… (more)
Member:samaloney
Title:Zodiac Academy: The Awakening
Authors:Caroline Peckham (Autor)
Info:Nielsen (2021), 434 pages

Work Information

Zodiac Academy: The Awakening by Caroline Peckham (Author)

This was advertised to me as "Sexy Harry Potter" and I gotta say that alone made me gag and become unhappy. Why would you advertise that with J.K Rowling's TERF stuff and terrible LGBT hatred all over the public media right now?

We have fat-shaming in the first chapter and it goes hard. It's a lot of fat commentary.

"You're a superior race" has no place in my literature. Are fae thus supremacists because the way they speak of humans is. . . eesh.

So this is called the Zodiac Academy and the main character is a Gemini "an air sign", you'd think this is a significant plot point, but it's not. Also being an air sign means nothing. Because some have two elements, some have three, and our main cast has ALL FOUR ELEMENTS of magic. The four nations of Fire, Water, Air, and Earth all live in harmony!
. . . I miss watching Avatar, it's soo much better than this.

Anyway, that's basically all the zodiac relevance you get.

She sees an African American fae and wants to touch his hair. Bro, wtf? If I were up in this review using reaction images this would be nothing but screaming ones! Who thinks that?! Also, there's a Spanish-speaking fae which makes me wanna ask how do we have these other races of fae born to humans or dropped among humans? If they have "superior fae" then is racism a thing here? Why is there a Spanish fae? Fae are not multi-lingual in the book. . . help.

And then the non-con content, hoo boy! So one character cuts another's hair against their will, and another "playfully" drowns one. The male heirs are absolute cunts. They regularly assault them in front of the teachers and sometimes the teachers do it too! There's SA, touching, groping, and abuse. And this is their love interest(s)! Their love interests are hurting them!

The characters are also inconsistent and don't exist to have strong personalities. One moment the teacher is sent to find the twins and the next he's abusing the twins who are supposed to be royalty and high priority. Finding them was a top priority for him. Then another time he just witnesses abuse and attempted murder and doesn't care. Are they important or not?!

1 star, there's no consistency, too much sexual assault, abuse, and fat-shaming as well as needed cruelty. This is not romance, this is not sexy. Also, they keep mentioning nymphs but only in talk and not in book. I shouldn't have to read multiple books to know wtf is going on in the first one! ( )
  Yolken | Oct 20, 2022 |
Cheesy and awful. I tried really hard to like it but ick! ( )
1 vote dragonlion | Jul 30, 2022 |
It was quite the fantasy mash up - magic school, elemental magic, vampires and werewolves, and the zodiac. It's a little bit of a mess with the bully romance and childhood trauma piled on top (not my favorite trope), but it was kind of fun. ( )
1 vote Bodagirl | May 5, 2022 |
There’s definitely the start of an interesting story here but there is a lot going on in this first book and that made it a bit too all over the place for me. This was a fun book to read. I was never bored and I read it really quickly. I don’t know if this will every become a favorite series because some of the writing just didn’t work for me. I did not find the attempts at humor to be particularly funny as one example. One character, Diego, was a native Spanish speaker and the authors did the thing where they have him use random bits of Spanish while talking. I think I’ve complained about this before but that happens so much in books and I’ve never in my life heard an English-as-a-second-language speaker ever do anything like that. It really rubs me the wrong way. There is a lot of exposition needed in this book so ideally book two will be able to cut down on that a lot. There are a lot of characters in this book and a lot of moving pieces to keep track of and I hope that’s turned down a notch as the series continues.
I’m definitely curious about what comes next so I’ll be continuing on with the series but I do hope there are some improvements to writing and plotting in the next book. ( )
  AKBouterse | Apr 16, 2022 |
I've heard so much about this lately
  crazynerd | Mar 30, 2022 |

Peckham, CarolineAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Valenti, SusanneAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

I WAS HALFWAY through the window when the police sirens sounded.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,419,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible