Midnight express by Billy Hayes

Midnight express (original 1977; edition 1977)

by Billy Hayes, William Hoffer (Joint Author.)

The author describes the years he spent in a Turkish jail for smuggling hashish and the escape plan he devised and carried out.
Member:hhornblower
Title:Midnight express
Authors:Billy Hayes
Other authors:William Hoffer (Joint Author.)
Info:New York : Dutton, c1977.
Rating:**
Tags:Turkish Prison, Turkey, Drug Smuggling

Midnight Express by Billy Hayes (1977)

Hotel Kerobokan by Kathryn Bonella (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: If you like a jail read and a hell of an escape ... where all but 12 prisoners fled from this bali jail - this is an awesome book. awesome!

English (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (3)
Just OK. It's a very quick read and mildly entertaining. I would have given it three stars except for the fact that I read an interview with him in a Las Vegas magazine (after I finished the book, I wanted to see what he did with his life after this experience (not much)) and there are revelations in that interview that aren't included in the book and I lost a certain amount of sympathy for him. ( )
  hhornblower | Oct 13, 2021 |
True story of captured Hash smuggler Billy Hayes. It details his time in the Turkish prison system from his arrest to his eventual escape. The story is well written and a nice easy read but for me it just fell a little flat at times. I know it is a true story so only the events that happened can be detailed, but it just didn't really seem all that much of an adventure? The life in prison was nowhere near as harrowing as other books I have read and I struggled to empathise for Billy. He always seems to be type of person that doesn't really take responsibility for his own actions, and over the years of his incarceration I still got the same impression that no matter how much others would try to help he was always selfish enough to ignore their efforts.

A good book but just one where I struggled to root for the author, which I think in a prison/escape story you really need to. ( )
  Bridgey | Sep 22, 2020 |

Hayes, Billyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hoffer, Williammain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,223,680 books! | Top bar: Always visible