Ceremony in Death by J. D. Robb

Ceremony in Death (original 1997; edition 1997)

by J. D. Robb (Author)

Series: In Death (5)

2,328474,042 (4)40
Member:lightshimmer
Title:Ceremony in Death
Authors:J. D. Robb (Author)
Info:Berkley (1997), Edition: Reissue, 336 pages

Ceremony in Death by J. D. Robb (1997)

Good installment in the In Death series. Read it a long time ago but I remember it somewhat and it was very good. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Apr 12, 2019 |
I borrowed this one from my best friend months ago, and only got to reading it now. And I'm glad I did.

I stayed up late last night to finish it, because I just couldn't sleep without knowing the end. So yeah, it's one of those books.

I loved Every Dallas and I'm so excited to know that her story continues on in all the books of the In Death series. I'm eager to read more about her. And her husband Roarke too. This book didn't give me much on him, but I guess that's because it's the fifth one in the series. I'll have to hunt for the others!

The story itself was perfect, full of murders, suspense and with a tinge of romance that only Nora Roberts can do so well.

All in all, Ceremony In Death was an exciting, and totally unputdownable book! ( )
  Swibells | Jul 18, 2018 |
I actually think I like the fact that the reader knows who the "bad guy" is all along in this one instead of finding out when Eve does, because the last couple were getting pretty easy to predict and the climax felt like a let-down.
Still loving Mavis and Peabody. Eve's hard-ass line and resistance to Roarke's love, protection and affection is eroding but not fast enough for my taste. She comes off as petulant and bull-headed more often than not. She's surly about a ridiculous expensive spa visit and seems to take limo rides as an offense. It's irritating because most people would kill for that kind of treatment. Like, be a little grateful and enjoy yourself for a minute.
Anyway, I'm going to put this series down for a bit. May revisit in the future. ( )
  EmScape | Jun 18, 2018 |
4.5 stars ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
Ceremony in Death
4 Stars

Homicide Lieutenant Eve Dallas is forced to put aside her personal loyalties when she investigates the suspicious death of a fellow officer. When several other victims die in horrific circumstances, Eve finds herself embroiled in a conflict between opposing forces of good and evil that eventually leads her to a confrontation that may force her to play the ultimate price…

The best installment so far both in terms of the investigation and the character development.

The dichotomy between Good and Evil, and the symbolism of Wicca and Satanism, inherent in the case makes this one of the most intense and gripping mysteries in the series. The villains are truly diabolical and the mundane motive behind the crimes only compounds their depravity.

The characterization continues to be a highlight of these books. Roarke demonstrates once again the depth of his love for Eve and the lengths he will go to to protect her. There are also some compelling insights into both Peabody and Feeney’s characters as they learn more about themselves and Eve as well. Eve’s behavior, on the other hand, is problematic as she allows her personal experiences to color her judgement and tends to accept things at face value rather than looking beneath the surface to underlying motivations.

In sum, the suspense, intrigue and humor of this series make it very enjoyable and I look forward to reading the next one soon. ( )
1 vote Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |

J. D. Robbprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ericksen, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." -Shakespeare
"We may not pay Satan reverence, for that would be indiscreet, but we can at least respect his talents." -Mark Twain
Death surrounded her.

Even in an age of cutting-edge technology, old beliefs die hard...

Death surrounded her. She faced it daily, dreamed of it nightly. Lived with it always. She knew its sounds, its scents, even its texture. Ten years as a cop hadn't hardened her toward it. A decade on the force hadn't made her accept it. Conducting a top-secret investigation into the death of a fellow police officer has Lieutenant Eve Dallas treading on dangerous ground. She must put professional ethics before personal loyalties. But when a dead body is placed outside her home, Eve takes the warning personally. With her husband, Roarke, watching her every move, Eve is drawn into the most dangerous case of her career. Every step she takes makes her question her own beliefs of right and wrong - and brings her closer to a confrontation with humanity's most seductive form of evil...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425157628, Mass Market Paperback)

Conducting a top secret investigation into the death of a fellow police officer has Lieutenant Eve Dallas treading on dangerous ground. She must put professional ethics before personal loyalties. But when a dead body is placed outside her home, Eve takes the warnning personally. With her husband, Roarke, watching her every move, Eve is drawn into the most dangerous case of her career. Every step she takes makes her question her own beliefs of right and wrong--and brings her closer to a confrontation with humanity's most seductive form of evil...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:52 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,175,298 books! | Top bar: Always visible