Don't Burn This Book: Thinking for Yourself…

Don't Burn This Book: Thinking for Yourself in an Age of Unreason (edition 2020)

by Dave Rubin (Author)

"Topical, engaging, personable, and above all, reassuring." -Dr. Jordan B. Peterson, author of 12 Rules for Life From host of The Rubin Report, the most-watched talk show about free speech and big ideas on YouTube right now, a roadmap for free thinking in an increasingly censored world. The left is no longer liberal. Once on the side of free speech and tolerance, progressives now ban speakers from college campuses, "cancel" people who aren't up to date on the latest genders, and force religious people to violate their conscience. They have abandoned the battle of ideas and have begun fighting a battle of feelings. This uncomfortable truth has turned moderates and true liberals into the politically homeless class. Dave Rubin launched his political talk show The Rubin Report in 2015 as a meeting ground for free thinkers who realize that partisan politics is a dead end. He hosts people he both agrees and disagrees with--including those who have been dismissed, deplatformed, and despised--taking on the most controversial issues of our day. As a result, he's become a voice of reason in a time of madness. Now, Rubin gives you the tools you need to think for yourself in an age when tribal outrage is the only available alternative. Based on his own story as well as his experiences from the front lines of the free speech wars, this book will empower you to make up your own mind about what you believe on any issue and teach you the fine art of:   *  Checking your facts, not your privilege, when it comes to today's most pervasive myths, from the wage gap and gun violence to climate change and hate crimes.   *  Standing up to the mob against today's absurd PC culture, when differences of opinion can bring relationships, professional or personal, to a sudden end.   *  Defending classically liberal principles such as individual rights and limited government, because freedom is impossible without them. The Progressive Woke Machine is waging war against the last free thinkers in the world. Don't Burn This Book is the definitive account of our current political upheaval and your guide to surviving it.… (more)
Member:Cfdaisjr
Title:Don't Burn This Book: Thinking for Yourself in an Age of Unreason
Authors:Dave Rubin (Author)
Info:Sentinel (2020), 240 pages

Work Information

Don't Burn this Book: Thinking for Yourself in an Age of Unreason by Dave Rubin

This book was kinda rough. He makes a few good points throughout the book and provides a few things that need to be looked into more. But he’s woefully lacking in his criticism of the right and its politics. Maybe there’s a part 2 to come?

I understand the book is about Ruben’s experience “deconverting” from left wing politics to a more centrist view point, but the book lacks almost any criticism of right wing politics. In the age of Trump? Come on, you could find something. It leaves it feeling incredibly biased and like his new opinions have gone just as unexamined as his old ones. Pair that with his snarky writing style and it starts to sound like a teenaged boy’s private thoughts on politics.

I appreciate critiques of my views which is why the book receives 2 stars, but the total absence of contrasting criticism about the right just makes the book feel like a gotcha piece and lacking in journalistic integrity. I don’t feel respected, which is of course his right, and I won’t be burning the book, but it doesn’t help convinced me which I would assume was a primary purpose of writing it.

I think the writing style is what put me off the most. It’s a kind of shruggy “I’m sorry you don’t like what I say but it’s the truth.” Not exactly a mature criticism style but then again maybe this complaint isn’t either. It’s as if he’s smiling and enjoying the imagined outrage his words are eliciting. Look, there are plenty of wilting daisies on both sides of the political spectrum but I would hope they’re the fringe. Maybe this book was more directed at the liberal equivalent of the people upset by kneeling at a football game. Either way, I’m not offended, just annoyed.

There is, of course, room to improve liberal politics. But Rubin offers less critical advise and more boyish giddy at his discovery that the right offers him a guilt free story of self actualization. All he has to do is think of himself as meritorious and spread the good news to others that “they can make it too if they try.” Perhaps a feel good story but wait wasn’t it the left that was suppose to be the one living in a fantasy world? Oh boy there’s Rubin’s snarkiness rubbing off on me. ( )
  Finn-Williams | Aug 21, 2021 |
Don’t Burn This Book, Dave Rubin
Once, Dave Rubin was a liberal supporting Democrats. In this book, he explains how he metamorphosed into what he refers to as a “classical liberal”. He no longer blindly supports the Democrats. He feels that many of Trump’s policies mirror his beliefs. As he explains his current philosophy by exploring liberal issues, like Abortion, LGBTQ rights, Freedom of Speech, Gun Rights, Immigration, police brutality, etc., he highlights events and people affected by these issues and the experiences they have had. He discusses his views on these issues which are far broader and more open minded than those of the radicals on the left. He is much more ready and eager to compromise with the views of those on the right. He highlights certain people who have had to deal with the frustration of being targeted and falsely labeled by the fake news establishment. He is critical of the lack of honest journalists and believes we are now being brainwashed by what was once a critical avenue of news and information, but is now opinion.
He highlights the black conservatives, like Candace Owens and Larry Elder, who have had to deal with the bias and persecution of the left. His argument is that if you want to have your own freedom, you must allow others to also have freedom. You can’t deny the right to speak to anyone if you want the right to speak. You must tolerate the right of others to share in your same freedoms and the left if forbidding those who disagree with them to have those rights. He believes this is wrong. His views are refreshing.
He describes classical liberalism which is a middle road to both the left and right side’s radical views, and he supports compromise rather than extremism. ( )
  thewanderingjew | Jun 29, 2020 |

Dave Rubinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Peterson, Jordan B.Forewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,744,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible