The Spa at Lavender Lane by Phyllis Melhado

The Spa at Lavender Lane (edition 2020)

by Phyllis Melhado (Author)

1061,501,974 (2.92)None
Member:sewingal1
Title:The Spa at Lavender Lane
Authors:Phyllis Melhado (Author)
Info:Black Rose Writing (2020), Edition: Illustrated, 249 pages
Rating:***

The Spa at Lavender Lane by

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book had and interesting theme and the characters were decently developed. However the ending left a bit to be desired. I felt it was added on in order to just finish the book rather than develop a conclusion to the theme of the book. ( )
  sewingal1 | Aug 25, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I inadvertently entered for this ebook giveaway. I thought I was in print books so I did not read it. If I get a print of this book I will revise. ( )
  sweetbabyjane58 | Jul 1, 2020 |
This debut novel is a fun book to read. Just the descriptions of the treatments that the women get at Lavender Lane make you feel more relaxed but, also jealous that you can't afford to get the same treatment as these women do at $1,000 dollars a day. Still it's fun to read and dream about.

The Spa claims “rest, relaxation, and the rejuvenation of mind, body and spirit” and women sign up for 10 day sessions to help them feel better about themselves. The new group checking in as the novel begins are very different from each other: a burned-out Fifth Avenue retail executive...a striking former model and Chicago socialite... an overweight Texas housewife on the brink of her second divorce and her beautiful, teenage daughter...and a CEO who, unhappy with recent plastic surgery, is secluded in her room. Will their ten days at the spa make them feel better about themselves and love their lives again? Will they remain bitchy about each other or will any friendships be formed?

My favorite character was Charlotte, an overweight woman in the midst of a divorce from her husband. She has checked into the spa with her teenage daughter who is a difficult teenager and almost anorexic so that she can become a model. Charlotte was hoping that the spa would help them re-connect with each other but it appears to be driving them further apart. Charlotte eats the 'rabbit food' at her meals but has a supply of candy bars in her room to help her over the stress.

This is a fun book to read with just the right amount of bitchiness and friendship wrapped together. It would be a great book to read on your next beach trip. ( )
  susan0316 | Jun 28, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this ebook as an Early Reviewers book from Librarything. While I would probably not buy this book that is about a group of mostly privileged women who attend a luxury spa in Palm Springs for ten days of physical and emotional treatment I was happy to give it a go. It was a generally positive experience..

I was quickly engaged on meeting the Director/Owner of the spa, a mysterious and successful Russian emigrant. The clients' characters were well drawn from the archetypal spoilt bitch to the homely housewife and the sexy tennis coach. There was a touch of suspense and a few dramas along the way.

While the prose wasn't overly descriptive but it was well enough written for a reader to get to know the characters. Once I had started the book I had to read on past midnight to reach its conclusion.

It wasn't great literature but The Spa at Lavender Lane provided me with an interesting few hours of escapism. ( )
  GeniAus. | Jun 8, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Early Reviewers. Chick Lit. Easy to read, interesting to see how the other half lives. Clichéd characters. Just enough female drama to keep your attention. Would love to spend time at the spa though! ( )
  perennialreader | May 30, 2020 |

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,369,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible