Pocket Russian Dictionary:…

Pocket Russian Dictionary: Russian-English/English-Russian (English and… (original 1969; edition 1969)

by Langenscheidt Publishers (Author)

This Russian translation dictionary is designed for broad use and is suitable for both beginners and advanced Russian students. The thousands of entries provide examples of usage, marking of stress and stress shift, grammar and abbreviations.
Member:lol80
Title:Pocket Russian Dictionary: Russian-English/English-Russian (English and Russian Edition)
Authors:Langenscheidt Publishers (Author)
Info:Langenscheidt (1969), 592 pages

Langenscheidt's Pocket Russian Dictionary by Langenscheidt Publishers (1969)

This dictionary is the right size to carry with a person. But it seems to me to have a dictionary that is is the right size to carry with a person, the dictionary should be one that can be used quickly and easily. I am a beginner at learning Russian, so if I knew more, I would undoubtedly be more adept at using this dictionary. I also realize that a dictionary that would be easier to use would also be less accurate (fewer definitions and explanations). But a dictionary that cannot be used is not very accurate either. ( )
  taterzngravy | Feb 13, 2007 |
To my mind, this is absolutely the best dictionary out there for a student in the beginning to intermediate level of Russian. I can't argue that a more extensive dictionary is necessary at a higher level, but I can think of no better tool for a student beginning their study of Russian.

Every entry is marked with a reference number that corresponds to a grammatical section in the back, showing exactly how that word is declined or conjugated. With careful use of this dictionary, students have no excuse for mis-forming any noun or verb.

As a number of reviewers on Amazon have pointed out, this dictionary does have some translation inaccuracies, but presumably most students would have a teacher who can help clear up these issues. For that, I knock off half a star, but all in all this dictionary is an invaluable resource in a convenient size.

(Q) ( )
  q_and_a | Jan 20, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,261,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible