As Good As Dead

by Holly Jackson

5272039,716 (4.01)1
THE NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLING SERIES * The highly anticipated finale to the A Good Girl's Guide to Murder series, the instant bestsellers that read like your favorite true crime podcast or show. By the end of this mystery series, you'll never think of good girls the same way again... Pip is about to head to college, but she is still haunted by the way her last investigation ended. She's used to online death threats in the wake of her viral true-crime podcast, but she can't help noticing an anonymous person who keeps asking her: Who will look for you when you're the one who disappears? Soon the threats escalate and Pip realizes that someone is following her in real life. When she starts to find connections between her stalker and a local serial killer caught six years ago, she wonders if maybe the wrong man is behind bars. Police refuse to act, so Pip has only one choice: find the suspect herself--or be the next victim. As the deadly game plays out, Pip discovers that everything in her small town is coming full circle . . .and if she doesn't find the answers, this time she will be the one who disappears. . .… (more)

Pip is living with the memory of her last investigation and that Max is not found guilty of rape despite being recorded on tape as proof. As Pip finds ways to cope with her PTSD, albeit not well, she begins receiving anonymous messages asking who will search for her when she disappears and random chalk drawings start to show up on her driveway…stick figures without heads. As she attempts to discover who her stalker is, she figures out the best way to save herself…is to save herself. She begins investigating as she would her podcast. When Pip is kidnapped, everything comes together and she makes a choice that will save her life.

This was a very unexpected ending to Pip's crime solving. It begs the reader to ask if they would be willing to make the hard choice if it meant life or death for themselves. I enjoyed every minute of this roller coaster ride and was so sad when it was over. At 570 pages (paperback version), this extra-large book was imposing looking but the time just flew by when I was reading. I can't wait to read Holly Jackson's next book as I know it will be worth the read. ( )
  Micareads | Sep 14, 2022 |
As much as I loved this series, this book was just a let down. I loved the concept and even the direction it took. Until halfway through and then it was just off. It felt to me like a desperate attempt to connect all of the dots creating an unnecessary full circle end. I loved the characters so much in the first two. Pip in this one was great, Ravi was great, but there was so much filler that I felt I really lost everything that connected me to the characters to begin with. Also the ending. HORRIBLE! I felt there was not reason for it to end the way it did for the main characters. ( )
  dixiesullivan | Aug 30, 2022 |
(3.25)

Unlike with the other two books in the series, I predicted the twist almost immediately. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it felt too obvious that when Pip and Ravi didn't predict it they felt very dumb. I also did not enjoy the twist about halfway through. I was too frustrated with Pip and her choices. Overall, I still loved the characters and some of the mystery, but I was too frustrated a lot of the time reading this sequel. ( )
  DominiqueDavis | Aug 9, 2022 |
**spoiler alert** This is the third and final installment in the “A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder” and my reaction is currently a bit mixed. I loved the previous book and gave it a 10/10, but I do have to dial that back for this book. The book was still good - it had a mystery, a murder, revenge, and resulted in the framing of a terrible man. However, there were some portions that didn’t sit super well with me. In the second book of this series “Good Girl, Bad Blood,” Pip was a stronger female protagonist than in the first book, she had grit and more of a darker view on the world. However, the Xanax taking, murderous Pip in this book is another realm of darkness. The mystery was a smaller part of this book too, and the format a definite shift from the previous two. Overall, I still felt a lot of emotions while reading this book. I was upset at the near end, hoping for things to work out. I was excited for the wins Pip had. While I can’t say I support some of the choices she made, I’m glad Max Hastings was brought to justice.

Honestly, maybe I’m just sad because this series is over, and I won’t get to see anymore of Pip, Ravi, Connor, Cara, Josh, Jamie, and all of the other characters who have a special place in my heart. Another strong series comes to a close!! ( )
  rasdh | Jul 29, 2022 |
This book is 3 stars instead of 1 purely because Holly Jackson knows how to write. She knows how to keep a reader engaged in the story. Unfortunately, the overall plot of this book escaped her prowess.

It feels like the “Modern Nancy Drew” statements had gotten to her or something because in this book Pip’s entire character is unhinged. I understand that Pip is experiencing PTSD and insomnia from seeing a man killed in front of her, but in my novels and my love of Pip, I didn’t want to see her turn into a pill-popping, angry murderer.

It seems that we just threw away everything that every reader loved about Pip just to give us an extremely bad example of “justice.” Pip was all about justice and righting wrongs, but now she wasn’t above doing the EXTREMELY WRONG THING to give HER version of justice.

Then she used the people she loved to give her an alibi (something that they were still traumatized by from Andie’s case) and then LEFT them all alone throughout the trial under some false sense of martyrdom.

Pip turned into the monster she was trying to put behind bars in the first and second book and we, as the readers, were expected to be okay with it because it was “justice.”

When I finished this book, I was livid. I loved the other two books so much, and this book seemed to just take everything I loved about the other books and spit in my face. Read the first two, but live forever in mystery about what happens next. Do yourself that favor. ( )
  ktreads22 | Jul 13, 2022 |
This one is for all of you. Thank you for sticking with me to the end.
Dead-eyed, that's what they said, wasn't it? Lifeless, glassy, empty.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,057,751 books! | Top bar: Always visible