Making Money (Discworld Novels) by Terry…

Making Money (Discworld Novels) (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:ajr493
Title:Making Money (Discworld Novels)
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Harper (2008), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages

Making Money by Terry Pratchett (2007)

Recently added byLyndaInOregon, andersonden, private library, jonnyr, Ygraine, dylano, CaribouKai, Cynfelyn, Alcaren
    Going Postal by Terry Pratchett (kinsey_m)
    kinsey_m: Same protagonist, just as fun.

English (143)  German (2)  All languages (145)
When more-or-less reformed con-man Moist Lipwig is put in charge of the Ankh-Morpork Royal Bank and decides to introduce the notion of paper money, you know it's going to cause trouble.

As usual, Pratchett takes a motley collection of slightly off-center characters -- this time including a golem with definite ideas about gender roles, an entire wacko family of bank directors, a man locked in mortal combat with his own dentures, and a dog with interesting taste in toys -- and shovels them into the plot bucket, sets it spinning, and then sits back to enjoy the results. ( )
  LyndaInOregon | Dec 14, 2018 |
Moist isn't as good as Going Postal, but this is definitely still a great Pratchett novel. ( )
  jonsweitzerlamme | Nov 28, 2018 |
Now this is the way to study economics! Actually, I'm sure I would have got more out of the story if I had studied economics, but it was great fun anyway. Moist Von Lipwig seems to spice up the Patrician's life, and whatever makes the Patrician happy, makes me happy. I completely enjoyed the bits about the bank chairman, Mr. Fussypot (not sure I have his name right), so visual! ( )
  MrsLee | Nov 18, 2018 |
I think I like Going Postal more than this book but that may have been because I find the civil service field more entertaining and interesting than the finance industry. ( )
  mmaestiho | Sep 20, 2018 |
This was the second Discworld novel I read and I didn’t have much to say about it at the time: “Clever, witty and satirical, like Going Postal. I enjoyed it, but it failed to impress me (or make me laugh) quite as much as its predecessor. Perhaps it was a bit too more-of-the-same?”

No, the problem was that I didn’t listen to the audiobook! Pratchett is more engaging and much funnier when read aloud -- and when, I suspect, I can’t be tempted to skim my eye over a passage if it doesn’t immediately grab me.

Moist von Lipwig is the sort to get into trouble due to boredom; he’s at his most inspired when he’s flying by the seat of his pants. This is fun to watch. (Well, read about.) I couldn’t remember much about his adventures in banking, which made this reread even more entertaining. And appearances are made by the Watch...

I would very happily gobble up more of the same.

“But what’s worth more than gold?”
“Practically everything. You, for example. Gold is heavy. Your weight in gold is not very much gold at all. Aren’t you worth more than that? [...] in a few days I shall be giving away money. It doesn’t like to stand still, you know. It likes to get out and make new friends.” The bit of Moist’s brain that was trying to keep up with his mouth thought: I wish I could make notes about this; I’m not sure I can remember it all. But the conversations of the last day were banging together in his memory and making a kind of music. He wasn’t sure he had all the notes yet, but there were bits he could hum. He just had to listen to himself for long enough to find out what he was talking about.
  Herenya | Aug 25, 2018 |
For all the economic theory in play here, Pratchett makes everything look easy - you get the sense that he's one of the smartest people writing fantasy out there, but he just doesn't feel like showing it off. He is always unbelievably fluid in his prose and the comic aphorisms that seem to flow out of him. Every once in a while he cues his punchlines too noticeably, with an "after all," or an "oh all right then." But it's hard to complain - he also uses the word "hopefully" correctly. Also: "charivari."
added by PhoenixTerran | editio9, Austin Grossman (Apr 17, 2009)

When Pratchett is at his best, he matches the greatest satirists in piercing the veil of shared illusion. In a time when money's absurdities puzzle even those who purport to possess it, we need him to do better.

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Couton, PatrickTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kempen, BernhardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McKowen, ScottCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ring, JonathanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
They lay in the dark, guarding.
People don't like change. But make the change happen fast enough and you go from one type of normal to another.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061161659, Mass Market Paperback)

Amazingly, former arch-swindler-turned-Postmaster General Moist von Lipwig has somehow managed to get the woefully inefficient Ankh-Morpork Post Office running like . . . well, not like a government office at all. Now the supreme despot Lord Vetinari is asking Moist if he'd like to make some real money. Vetinari wants Moist to resuscitate the venerable Royal Mint—so that perhaps it will no longer cost considerably more than a penny to make a penny.

Moist doesn't want the job. However, a request from Ankh-Morpork's current ruling tyrant isn't a "request" per se, more like a "once-in-a-lifetime-offer-you-can-certainly-refuse-if-you-feel-you've-lived-quite-long-enough." So Moist will just have to learn to deal with elderly Royal Bank chairman Topsy (née Turvy) Lavish and her two loaded crossbows, a face-lapping Mint manager, and a chief clerk who's probably a vampire. But he'll soon be making lethal enemies as well as money, especially if he can't figure out where all the gold has gone.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:57 -0400)

"Moist von Lipwig, condemned prisoner turned postal worker extraordinaire is now in charge of a different branch of the government: overseeing the printing of Ankh-Morpork's first paper currency. A dream come true for a former arch-swindler-- or is it?"--Cover p. [4].… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,839,046 books! | Top bar: Always visible