Kids Fight Plastic: How to Be a…

Kids Fight Plastic: How to Be a #2minutesuperhero (edition 2020)

by Martin Dorey (Author), Tim Wesson (Illustrator)

16111,003,361 (4.3)None
Member:kyurenka
Title:Kids Fight Plastic: How to Be a #2minutesuperhero
Authors:Martin Dorey (Author)
Other authors:Tim Wesson (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2020), Edition: Illustrated, 128 pages
Rating:*****

Kids Fight Plastic: How to Be a #2minutesuperhero by Martin Dorey

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
There's a lot of very sound practical advice in here and I like the sense of control and can-do attitude the book fosters but some of the "missions" require a level of economic privilege that not every kid has. Overall, an informative and easy-to-understand read.

I received an ARC of this book from Candlewick Press free for review. ( )
  fionaanne | Aug 9, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is written by a real life two minute superhero from England. It contains 16 "missions" plus a bonus mission which are ways that children can reduce their use of plastic. The suggestions are generally solid and realistic for the age of the audience. However, my daughter's verdict is that this book is boring and she showed no desire to do the missions. I found this surprising because at school they are quite involved in recycling and the green club. I received an ARC as an Early Reviewer so hopefully the typos/factual problems are fixed before publication. Also the final version is to be in full colour which might help with my daughter's boredom. ( )
  True54Blue | Aug 6, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a great way to introduce kids to the topic of environmental conservation. Kids care so much about the environment and the animals around them. This book introduces the topic in an way kids can easily grasp, and it teaches kids HOW to get involved. I think many kids feel like they are just kids and cannot make a difference in their own world, but this books introduces a variety of ways that kids CAN make a difference. ( )
  Tessa.Johnson | Jul 22, 2020 |
A great book filled with some much information even for adults! ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Jul 15, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a free advanced copy of this book from the LibraryThing Early Reviewers giveaway in exchange for an honest review.

“Kids Fight Plastic” is a great nonfiction book with fun, graphic illustrations that gives upper elementary aged students step by step, practical ways on how to fight plastic waste. The book is written by Martin Dorey who is anti-plastic activist and founder of the #2minutebeachclean movement. He breaks down the chapters into different places in a kid’s life where they can find and fight plastic waste including the lunchroom, sports fields, the bathroom, the kitchen, birthday parties, etc. Each chapter gives examples of the types of plastic you would find in each situation and ways you can recycle or limit your plastic use (including reasons behind why balloons are bad for the environment).

As a librarian I know many students that chose to do research on plastic use in our society and/or want to know ways they can help reduce plastic use. This book gives them simple “missions” they can quickly put into place to have an immediate impact on reducing plastic waste. There’s also some great facts that could be used for research projects, including a chart that even helped me as a consumer showing what the different plastic symbols on items mean and if they are recyclable or not. Great, easily accessible guide for students! ( )
  nicholsm | Jul 13, 2020 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Martin Dorey's book Kids Fight Plastic: How to Be a #2minutesuperhero is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,689,032 books! | Top bar: Always visible