Laurel Everywhere

by Erin Moynihan

BE PREPARED TO CRY.

I don't why I'm surprised since the reviews are literally all about grief, but i was not expecting to be in tears for the ENTIRE book. I would caution against reading this book if you are feeling particularly emotional. Also, this book DID cause dreams about family members dying. It was beautifully written, and the story was so realistic and natural but OMG HEART WRENCHING. ( )
  laracjohn18 | May 10, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
After a terrible accident, and her dad suffering depression, Laurel is left on her own to pickup the tattered pieces. Then she starts hearing voices of ghosts from the past. Eventually as she learns to cope with her loss, she learns it is OK not to be "normal." Although this story does a decent job of sharing how loss and grief can overwhelm people, overall Laurel's character feels immature and one-dimensional at times. To me, it doesn't quite get how older teens would react to grief in real life. But it is beautifully written and heartfelt. ( )
  CynthiaM | May 4, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Fifteen year old Laurel Summers has just lost her mother, her brother, Rowan and sister, Tansy in a horrific car accident. Now, all that's left of their family is Laurel and her father. Laurel's father is dealing with severe depression and grief as he leaves Laurel to attend a bereavement camp and improve his mental health. Laurel's father leaving her is just a little too much for her to handle, Laurel begins to spiral. She has her best friends to lean on, Hanna, who is practical and knowledgeable and Lyssa who is unpredictable and insightful to help ground her in reality as she tries to help her father by finding a rowan leaf and tansy flower that he was so desperately searching for.

Laurel Everywhere is an insightful exploration into a teenager's grief. From the very beginning, when Laurel was left in her namesake bush, I could feel her grief, frustration and anger rolling off of the page. Laurel sees herself as the family peacekeeper between her older brother Rowan and younger sister Tansy but can't seem to find her own peace as she still sees the ghosts of her deceased family members. It was interesting to read Laurel's thoughts and mental breakdown as she not only dealt with the death of her siblings and mother, but what she felt like was abandonment from her father as dealt with his own grief. Laurel's inner dialogue also deals with her coming to terms with her sexuality while dealing with the fact that Hanna is someone she can reliably lean on, but does not want to talk about their relationship. I liked that Laurel's sexuality was not at the forefront of the story, rather just one more normal thing that a fifteen-year old girl is dealing with. The ending did not tie everything up neatly, since dealing with grief is a long process, yet it showed hope and healthy steps in the right direction for Laurel and her father.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review. ( )
  Mishker | Apr 19, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Laurel’s story is heartbreaking and emotionally devastating. But throughout the book as Laurel and her family begin to put themselves back together after a horrible tragedy, I found healing and hope in her story.

I think the character of Laurel was very real and believable. The book was honest about tragedy and those that are left behind. I loved the story for that!

I did find the story to drag long at times. Because of the nature of the book, not much happened, but it also moved very slow at parts. The heavy weight of the emotions also lended to me putting it down for a while and returning.

If you love stories of people and their journey, this is definitely the book for you! It was well written and beautifully woven together with friendship and unlikely families at the heart of the story.

*Warning* As a (newish) mother, the story was very emotional and mildly triggering at some points.

Thank you to the publisher for providing me an eARC in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  hilarymichelle001 | Apr 18, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
"Laurel Everywhere" is about the struggle of a 15-year old with regards to her family's crisis — partially with an identity crisis. She faced a family problem when her mom and siblings died. Then her father struggled with depression. Shre's troubled with her identity, too, because she tends to compare herself to almost everyone around her, especially her family. Wherein, this is an honest, true issue of teenage years.

The story keeps me going with the curiosity of how they will cope, knowing how deep the wound is. Losing a mother and two siblings in a car accident due to a reckless truck driver will surely drive me crazy. The drive to know how Laurel and her father cope is important for me. It somehow keeps me guessing why the characters act that way until it is revealed in the latter part of the story. I particularly like the scene where Laurel's friends are there with her, given that they, too, have scattered pieces trying to solve. The story shows how powerful the love of friends and family is. I also like the parts where Laurel realizes what life may bring to people. I love how the book shows the need to reach out to others, the relief it can give when accepting the depth of pain you are having. I also like how Laurel becomes courageous enough to speak to unknown people to ask for help, when in fact, she doesn't want one, to find what her father wants to find. (Read the book. I don't want to be a spoiler. Lol!)

I can say that this book is a so-so one because I can't help feeling lost with the characters. Her friends seemed too perfect. An unrealistic one. I honestly not a fan of reading LGBTQ+ books. Excuse for that. Yes, I have lots of friends who belong to that specific community, but I do not find it appealing to me personally reading such. Though the story doesn't focus on that, that is one of the reasons why I was able to finish the book. Also, there are grammatical errors I saw. Typographical errors are evident, too. Specifically speaking, the spaces are 0. There were at least, I think, four of it.

If you are interested in a book that will open your heart to understand some teens who identically encounter all or one of the characters fight, then read this. When you are in pain, losing someone you love most or a family member, "Laurel Everywhere" is for you. If you are looking down on yourself and don't feel special or loved, this book is your mirror.

P.S.
Thank you, LibraryThing Early Reviewers and Ooligan Press, for choosing me to read this for free! ( )
  misscleasia | Mar 23, 2021 |
Laurel Everywhere reflects on grief and the various ways different individual choose to except lost. This book discusses tragic topics of a teenager that has to learn to live her life without her mother/siblings and help find the strength with her father spirling into a suicidal depression. The way the author uses plants to connect the family really was very interesting to me. I enjoyed the substories as well and the external support that Laurel received. Life truly sometimes is very unfair but this story showed that even though we may cope differently we can still meet at the same point one day.

Thankful for the opportunity from Librarything, Ooligan Press and Harpervia to read and review a copy of Laurel Everywhere by Erin Moynihan.

I love this authors books and I thought this one was exceptional. If you have some great stories like this one, you can publish it on Novel Star, just submit your story to hardy@novelstar.top or joye@novelstar.top
added by AvegaLil | editThe Age, Lilly Avega

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Erin Moynihan's book Laurel Everywhere is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Erin Moynihan's book Laurel Everywhere was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,013,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible