Heaven's River by Dennis E. Taylor

Heaven's River (edition 2020)

by Dennis E. Taylor (Author)

Series: Bobiverse (4)

Member:mj4781
Title:Heaven's River
Authors:Dennis E. Taylor (Author)
Info:Ethan Ellenberg Literary Agency (2020), 632 pages
Collections:Read

Work Information

Heaven's River by Dennis E. Taylor

Wow! This series is so damn good. It's actually been a couple of years since I'd read book 3, and I was concerned that maybe this new book wouldn't hold up to the strong memories I had of the first books. Glad to report that my concern was not warranted - this was a great story, full of deep thoughts and lots of action. I hope it's not the last one! ( )
  KrakenTamer | Oct 23, 2021 |
The new themes introduced in Heaven's River give it an edge in what might otherwise seem a bit of a repetition on earlier works. Yes, we have Bob getting involved in the local alien species lives, but this time it's for a rescue mission. Meanwhile the B-plot is diving deeper into replicative drift, politics, individualism, and even the question of the soul (as viewed through quantum mechanics and information theory). The writing is good and scratches the science itch nicely. The parts that are glossed over are chosen with care so that we can sink our teeth into the theme more dramatically. A nice read overall. ( )
  jamestomasino | Sep 11, 2021 |
This fourth book of the series was a disappointment. It drags on and on and yet the main action in the universe all happens off screen and gets loosely wrapped up. The plot progresses through such improbable happenstances time and again. Either the characters are absolute geniuses and hand to hand combat experts or they're absolute morons and get captured at the drop of a hat. I hope Taylor picks it back up for the next book. ( )
  True54Blue | Apr 6, 2021 |
I do love the Bobiverse, but this one didn't have quite the same appeal. Mind you, the previous ones have been some of my all-time favorites. I still enjoyed the snarky humor and the characters very much; the newly discovered universe was fun and the Bob drift was interesting. It just took soooooo looooong. The audio version is amazing so kudos to narrator Ray Porter. Will I read another one? Still a definite yes. ( )
  Berly | Jan 12, 2021 |
I have been looking forward to this book ever since I read on the author's blog that he was writing another Bobiverse story. I love the Bobs and the original trilogy. It's great to find out what's happening now that humanity's been saved and the Bobs have some free time.

What's happening is that Bob One has decided to go on a search for Bender, who disappeared over a hundred years ago. Meanwhile, replicative drift is a real and the latest generation of Bobs can hardly be considered Bobs any more. They are so un-Bob like that a schism is forming in the Bobiverse, particularly around how the Bobs interact with biological beings.

Initially I had mixed feelings about Heaven's River. The story style shifts away from the format of the original trilogy and focuses almost exclusively on one plot line. This initially makes the book feel slow and plodding as the deft weaving of multiple story threads of the previous books kept the pace moving and events exciting. Eventually I felt myself get caught up in the search and started to enjoy Bob's time with the Quinlins.

The secondary plot thread made me a little sad to see just how different the new generation of Bobs are and also also maks a lot of sense that over time this would happen. I just know I'd love to join the Gamers on some of their epic D&D sessions. I loved seeing how far the Bobs have come with their technology and also what's been going on with humanity, especially the addition of other non-Bob replicants. So many great ideas end up mentioned that leaves a lot to be explored in future books.

The story ends with resolution to the main plot line while also leaving things open enough for the author to write more should he choose to. If more stories of the Bobiverse are written I know where I'll be spending future Audible credits. ( )
1 vote Narilka | Oct 31, 2020 |

Dennis E. Taylorprimary authorall editionscalculated
Porter, RayNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,605,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible